Terminator powertrain without a car to put it in...

ChronicFox

Established Member
So I recently just bought a complete setup from a guy in the neighboring province for a pretty good buck. Got it all including engine, trans, fuel system, brakes and front suspension. Didn't get interior and steering column. I'm now looking for a car with a cleaner body and interior to make the swap the easiest. I got the dash wiring, and all the wiring from under the hood including the pcm. Also got the cluster. The cobra stuff is from an 03, I'm hoping the chassis harness is compatible between V6-v8 coupes between 2000-04? I'm leaning towards buying a V6 car as the entire powertrain is coming out anyway, plus they tend to be more reasonably priced. The only benefit to a GT is an 8.8 I think.
What I'd like to know is what would be the easiest candidate for a car for a mostly plug and play swap? Or just "simply change out the chassis harness also and make it time consuming yet simple.

Definitely open to all opinions and options. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
First of all, I'm jealous, that is a good score on the powertrain. I basically did the same thing you did, I found a mint v6 body and a wrecked GT and put the GT stuff in the V6 car. The shells of the two cars are exactly the same, so it doesn't care what guts you install into that shell. I stripped mine down to nothing but the bare shell, then, after painting it, I simply reinstalled all the V8 parts back into that shell.

All the mounting holes are exactly the same, nothing is different between the two bodies. I was only able to use a very few parts from the V6 car, and I compared part numbers before using any of them. I used the V8 wiring harness front to back, used the V8 engine, trans, and rear end. I also used the V8 gauges and the rest of the electricals like the computer and all the sensors. I had a few problems, like the wipers not shutting off, etc, but those were simple fixes, once I did some research.

I just stripped both cars down and went from there.

Mustang v6 stripped down 003.JPG

Sounds like you have all the good stuff, so it is just a matter of putting them into the V6 car.

ChronicFox

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the replies! I was hoping with having the freedom of not owning the recipient yet someone would be like..."if you just buy this particular car all of this, this and that are all compatible "! Here's a pic of my 6x10 storage locker I picked up temporarily as there is enough fox stuff in the garage already.
20180326_174604.jpg

I've read about guys swapping out the entire main chassis harness as well. Not that I'm lazy, it' just that I didn' get one. I do know where there is one located for sale though.

As cool as the Ac cobras are, I'm not sure I'd look proportionate driving it if I fit. I' 6'5 and 250 lol. I once took an Mg roadster to graduation. Eyesight was completely over the top windshield line lmao!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Easy, sell it to me :)
I seriously took apart a beautiful Teal ‘93 Cobra to do this swap.
Actually was thinking of Coyote TVS but ‘93/‘03 Cobra swap makes more sense.
I’ll be doing just drivetrain and IRS, the exterior and interior with except of ‘03 style seat covers on Foxbody seats will remain ‘93 Cobra.
The Cobra roadster if serious Backdraft Racing has a longer wheelbase more room kit based on M3 BMW. Just add your engine/trans.
Otherwise pick a very nice rolling chassis from a ‘79-04 and have at it!
Good luck
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Detail Zone makes a swap harness we run in my brothers ‘86 GT with Cobra motor.
If you can do basic wiring it’s MUCH cleaner
-J

ChronicFox

Established Member
I located one this morning actually and it looks pretty clean. As long as the pics aren't condescending like alot of adds I'm interested.

ChronicFox

Established Member
IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg
Well.... found a car at a Ford dealer 2 provinces over. Turns out it belongs to an employee there who is their detailer. I Couldn't put a deposit on it fast enough. He's owned it since 2000. The car is a 95. Always wanted a blue mustang.

ChronicFox

Established Member
Hey V6 no more, what was involved in mounting the stock terminator Rad? I heard/read there is some work here involved on the lower rad support to accept the rad and what not. Hoping for some insight.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Seen your add on Kijiji.

Good luck with build hope it all goes good.
Oh and good too another Ab guy on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChronicFox

Established Member
Seen your add on Kijiji.

Good luck with build hope it all goes good.
Oh and good too another Ab guy on here.

Hey Man thanks for the kind words! Where ya from? Yeah a new edge would have been a bit easier with already having hydroboost steering and brakes. I got it all from the donar anyway so I Just have to figure out exactly how it lays out and goes in. I have 2 foxes, so I haven't dealt with hydroboost yet. And I have a shit pile of wiring to do. Gonna be fun.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member

I’m down in sylvan lake.

Best thing about the older cars is pretty much anything and everything has been done that can be done. Google and you tube and the forums will have almost all info you need.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Best of luck, sounds like it will be a fun project!

i am curious to know more about how the v6 and v8 and abs vs. non-abs traction control/master cylinder/wiring/brakes relate to each other.

ChronicFox

Established Member
I believe none of it's the same. I have everything thankfully, including the cluster, the complete dash wiring with OBD2 port, computer, the complete hydroboost system for brakes and steering with complete brakes and steering included, all the wiring for under the hood. The complete cooling system. The works. I have the fuel system minus lines also. Hoping to just use the actual interior of the car and the sheet metal. Swap out the 7.5 obviously out back.

ChronicFox

Established Member
I’m down in sylvan lake.

Best thing about the older cars is pretty much anything and everything has been done that can be done. Google and you tube and the forums will have almost all info you need.

That's cool, I have a really good friend from there also. Black fox Coupe. Made 820 wheel 2 summers ago but it wasn't fast enough. Be well over 4 digits this go around. Pushrod 363 on all the boost.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
That's cool, I have a really good friend from there also. Black fox Coupe. Made 820 wheel 2 summers ago but it wasn't fast enough. Be well over 4 digits this go around. Pushrod 363 on all the boost.

Oh the ls swap guy. Ya seen him at car cruise in. Lol. Gave him hell for ls. Lol

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member

Oh well I have not seen that one!

Ya there is a black hatchback gt. 88ish maybe style fox.

Has a 6.0 88mm(iirc?). Same deal was in around 750. But said was going full build soon hoping for 1000.

I unfortunately had to get out of the car scene for a bit.
Last I had was 2011 grabber blue convert.

Users who are viewing this thread