Terminator Ownership did not start well for me

Lee_87

Established Member
Somehow I went from looking for a cheap TDI Jetta or something that would get 40mpg so I wouldn't have to daily drive my 27yr old 7.3L to buying a $38k 2004 Cobra with only 26k miles on it that gets 12mpg. Not sure how it happened but it happened and I do it again since I was crazy about the 03-04 cobras when I was a kid. Anyways the dealership that had the car was 280 miles away and after looking up reviews on this place and looking at the car's history which was clean I made the decision to buy it without a warranty and without going to look at it and just have it delivered. Couldn't be happier when it arrived, the interior and exterior looked like it had just come from the factory and the only thing I saw wrong was the tires, an all-season tire that definitely don't hook at all Drove it 25 miles within the first hour and it broke down on the side of the road. Had it towed home and found out the plugs were fouled but couldn't figure out why. So had to have it towed to a garage 40 miles away that specializes in tuning Mustangs. They found some very loose wiretaps going to the ECU from the coil packs, put some new injectors in, map sensor, plugs, re-tuned it, and gave it back to me with 570WHP.
Now I have had it back for about a month and drove it for 200 miles with no issues car seems to run great but I'm just so paranoid thinking something is going to go wrong. That first experience of breaking down at 25 miles really ruined it for me and I'm trying to just enjoy it. I know it's an 18yr old car but every little noise or clunk when shifting gets me nervous thinking "oh great what's gonna break now". I'm sure I'll get over it in time and just enjoy it. Like I said it's got 26k miles on it (only 3k miles from 2011-present) and my plan is to keep it under 1200 miles a year, I definitely didn't buy the car to compete or street race at all I just wanted it to finally have one after so many years.
One thing about this car right now is that famous supercharger whine these cars were known for is not very loud which is a little upsetting. It doesn't have the stock Eaton blower it has an older KB 2.2l which is putting out 15-17 boost but still thought I would hear that whine. Once I recover some money I might look at putting a different supercharger on it and doing the subframe bolts, and IRS bushings since I read those might contribute to the clunking noise i hear and definitely need tires.
Anyways I just wanted to share my first-time experience with my Terminator maybe someone else had a similar experience with theirs.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Which intake do you have? If you're able to post a video clip, I think I speak for most of us in that we'd be interested in hearing the blower whine - or lack thereof. My 2.2 is at ~19psi and has been heard from a 1/2 mile away. I've got the JLT high boost fender well setup and she's plenty loud.

01yellercobra

Established Member
wonder if the car had a 2 step harness on it or a J&S unit or something to have wire taps in the coil pack harness.
That was my thought as well.

If you want whine keep the 2.2. The newer blowers aren't as loud. Maybe you just need a different intake.

Lee_87

Established Member
Which intake do you have? If you're able to post a video clip, I think I speak for most of us in that we'd be interested in hearing the blower whine - or lack thereof. My 2.2 is at ~19psi and has been heard from a 1/2 mile away. I've got the JLT high boost fender well setup and she's plenty loud.
When I bought this from the dealership they didn't know if and what modifications were done to the car which scared me away at first but I gave in and bought it anyway. Wasn't until I got it home did I start seeing the mods such as KB, kooks, gauges, and booster pump. So I'm learning as I go right now. Raining here today so I'll probably get the car out tomw and record the sound

Attachments

• 142ea1bc2141a459d51c206b95c3c76a.jpg
    142ea1bc2141a459d51c206b95c3c76a.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 2004-ford-mustang-svt-cobra-svt-2dr-supercharged-fastback (4).jpg
    2004-ford-mustang-svt-cobra-svt-2dr-supercharged-fastback (4).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 123

Lee_87

Established Member
That was my thought as well.

If you want whine keep the 2.2. The newer blowers aren't as loud. Maybe you just need a different intake.
That's what I have been hearing about the 2.2, the whine on them is one of the bests. I'll make a video tomorrow of what I'm working with and how quiet it is.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd think with an under-hood intake like that, she'd be all sorts of noisy. Weird.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Most likely had a 2-step of N2MB WOT box installed or something.

That 2.2 should whine like my kids do. I'll will say, once I removed the hood insulation and put those LFP hood vents, the ported eaton, as loud as it is, got even louder in the cabin.

I wouldn't be concerned with it breaking down. Drive it. Enjoy it. Take care of it. 26k miles is a gem now days. Keep it up!

Lee_87

Established Member

That 2.2 should whine like my kids do. I'll will say, once I removed the hood insulation and put those LFP hood vents, the ported eaton, as loud as it is, got even louder in the cabin.

I wouldn't be concerned with it breaking down. Drive it. Enjoy it. Take care of it. 26k miles is a gem now days. Keep it up!
Maybe it's just me I mean I haven't really been going pedal to the floor style every time I pull out main reason being the tires are junk so it just spins, and until I get a little more familiar with the car. The tuner told me I can bring it back and he can tune it for over 600hp if i wanted but I was content with the 570whp right now.

Yeah, 26k miles is nice, I only found a few others in the area but they were either below 10k miles and out of my price range or had 70k miles. I was/am happy with this

q6543

Established Member
It's par for the course... I seem to need to get a tow for something or another once a year.. or twice.

This year had a random fuel pump wire short the pump in the tank, last year smoked a trans.. it just happens with these old cars.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It is a 18yo car after all. Things are gonna happen. Get something like AAA and enjoy it.

You'll need to floor it to get the full scream. Get some good tires and have some fun.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe it's just me I mean I haven't really been going pedal to the floor style every time I pull out main reason being the tires are junk so it just spins, and until I get a little more familiar with the car. The tuner told me I can bring it back and he can tune it for over 600hp if i wanted but I was content with the 570whp right now.

Yeah, 26k miles is nice, I only found a few others in the area but they were either below 10k miles and out of my price range or had 70k miles. I was/am happy with this

if its pullied for ~15 but you arent putting your foot down and it's only making say 5-6# its not going to be that loud. Until you make a WOT pull I wouldn't start running down that rabbit hole just yet. Could always ask the tuner if it screamed like hell or not when he was tuning it

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If I knew how to post a clip, I've got an oldie of my car that could be used for comparison.

Santiago

Established Member
Like 01yellercobra said it’s almost a 20 year old car just needs some love on the car maybe upgrade some parts etc suspension parts and enjoy it

Lee_87

Established Member

Are you talking about these? I have noticed a lot of heat comes from that blower so if removing the hood insulation and installing these vents helps with that and hearing the whine then I'll get right on it

LFP BILLET HOOD VENTS 2003-2004 FORD SVT COBRA​

Users who are viewing this thread