Terminator getting hot....

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
What's up fellas. To make a long story short a couple of weeks ago my thermostat went bad in my cobra got it fixed.... But know my car is vetting hot again??? Don't really know why. Coolant isn't low but could use a little from what the tank says but not much at all... And now when I drive it the temp Gauge. doesn't sit in the same spot it used to before it's directly in the middle now... Where as it used to sit a little bit under the halfway point on the gauge... Any advice to check on areas would be appreciated. If not I'm going to drop it off at the dealer an have them check the whole car. Thank fellas.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Reading in the middle is normal. Is the thermostat a 180 degree? Since it is summer time your temps will be a bit hotter. I don't see a problem, have you logged your coolant temp?

evolve

Established Member
Did you drain the coolant recently? If so, be sure you "burped" it correctly. It took me like an hour to get it right, but after that it was good.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Directly in the middle would put it at normal. It was broken before...now it's fixed and reading normal? I don't see a problem.

Yeah I know it's normal but when I was drivng the other day it was getting hot approaching hot. Then I blasted the heat an it went down to the middle exactly. I know it's normal but that's never were it used to be is what I was saying. There has been plenty of hot days and have never seen get to the middle except for when the thermostat went bad and the other day that I was explaining about in this thread.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Did you drain the coolant recently? If so, be sure you "burped" it correctly. It took me like an hour to get it right, but after that it was good.

Yeah I'm thinking that could be the prob. But I might just flush it all out and put all fresh coolant in. Just to make sure. Hopefully that will do the trick.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you know exactly which thermostat was installed? It's not uncommon for the wrong thermostat to be cross referenced. Also you may have a some air in the system from not being refilled properly, try this procedure: Cobra & Mach 1 Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

The factory temp gauge is not very useful but if it goes past halfway, I'd say that's probably too hot. Use the odometer to read accurate ECT from the OBDII system.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Do you know exactly which thermostat was installed? It's not uncommon for the wrong thermostat to be cross referenced. Also you may have a some air in the system from not being refilled properly, try this procedure: Cobra & Mach 1 Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

The factory temp gauge is not very useful but if it goes past halfway, I'd say that's probably too hot. Use the odometer to read accurate ECT from the OBDII system.

thanks ill def take a look at this after work tomorrow. need to get this prob fixed by tues ill let you know what the out come is. thanks man

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member

Def almost overheated on me this morn. I'm going to check about the thermostat and make sure it's the right one. Hopefully this take car of the problem. Just picked up a dd last week and can't drive it till I can get to the DMV for plates and registration so this problem with the cobra is a bummer.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
you refilled from the upper coolant crossover tube correct?

yea I did. But now I'm thinking my thermostat was bad or the wrong one was installed maybe. Had it dropped off at my cousins shop cause I'm not going to have time to get to it this week. Hopefully I hear some good news later today about it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you find your thermostat is the wrong one, consider buying one of Joel's Reische Performance 170 degree thermostats. It's a great product.

Users who are viewing this thread