temp gauge question

dmaxxx

Established Member
I have had my 03 for a couple of weeks now and my temp gauge barely moves off of the C but if i let it idle for little while the temp will move up to just below the half way point and when i get to driving it will eventually go back down to just above C, do i have a problem with my gauge or is this normal or what? The mods to the car that i know of is a pulley not sure what size and tune (sct tuner). Also the temps here have been in 30's and 40's not sure if that makes a difference.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I have had my 03 for a couple of weeks now and my temp gauge barely moves off of the C but if i let it idle for little while the temp will move up to just below the half way point and when i get to driving it will eventually go back down to just above C, do i have a problem with my gauge or is this normal or what? The mods to the car that i know of is a pulley not sure what size and tune (sct tuner). Also the temps here have been in 30's and 40's not sure if that makes a difference.

Normally, my temp gauge would show right around in the middle and wouldnt budge. When I got a 170* thermostat, it would act like yours. On hot days, it would stay right around the middle. Might be your car has a 160 or 170 thermostat. Datalog to see what it shows for temps.

If notI believe there is a way to display the temp information on the mileage display area. I forget how to do it.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I believe the stock temp gauge is just a dummy gauge . My car air locked once and overheated , the gauge didn't rise gradually it just jumped to the "h" mark without warning . The only way to get a true reading is with a aftermarket gauge or through your programmer if it has that feature .

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yup, the stocker is about worthless. Iirc, it doesn't even start to move till the car hits around 140*.

dmaxxx

Established Member
I found some info on how to check temp through the odometer and I will try that, also can you recomend me a good gauge? Will it hurt anything if the thermostat stuck open?

hotcobra03

Established Member
If you have a sct..you can use that to see temps..and fan settings..

I live far south..in summer my car runs 210+

Now its colder..I see 178 beating it..so yes cold weather plays huge roll..

I have 170 tstat with fan setting lower..

Stuck open or missing tstat could be

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
According to my Aeroforce, it's doesn't move until 135-145.

Also, my Aeroforce will read 175 and the gauge will still be halfway between cold and normal. Then about 5 minutes later, the gauge will read normal temp. They just program it to move like molasses because a sudden movement of any gauge will scare you're average consumer.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
I found some info on how to check temp through the odometer and I will try that, also can you recomend me a good gauge? Will it hurt anything if the thermostat stuck open?

The Aeroforce is honestly the best bang for your buck when it comes to gauges even though its a little bit more expensive. Itll tell you every reading that your ECU is reading.

The stock gauge is literally worthless, it has to have drastic changes in order for the needle to drop or rise. Ive overheated at 240+ and the stock one stayed in the middle. Thanks to my Aeroforce I was able to pull over and see what happened.

Like another guy mentioned previously it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. Its a really easy thing to check and thermostats are pretty cheap. I have ran the Mishimoto 154* thermostat from American Muscle for a year and a half and am happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread