Tell me how to get my L to handle like a cobra...

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Long story short:
What is the best way to get my L to handle like a cobra without going to crazy with the suspension mods (i.e. no bags, etc)

Long story:
I am on the verge of selling my truck as well as my daily driver s4 in favor of a 03/04 cobra... I have always loved the truck, but after driving the s4 for a few months, I have grown to LOVE driving a 6speed, as well as the handling of a smaller car on coilovers.

Seeing as how I need to sell the s4, I am beginning to worry that the L will not fill the role of a "fun weekend car" as it has in the past. I test drove a termi convertible last week and absolutly loved the thing. However, the L market is not the greatest right now, and I think it would make more financial sense to keep the big bruiser and sink some money into the suspension (right now i only have the frpp 1"/2" springs and shackles) than lose a ton on it and buy a terminator that is bound to depreciate alot in the near future as well.

I'd like to know who has owned both an L and a cobra, and to find out (even if you havent owned both) how you have all gotten your trucks to handle more like our beloved little brothers...

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Could try finding some Ruslow 1200lb coils, some QA1s, a panhard bar, and some big sway bars to start things off.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Come over to my place, look at my L, and copy its setup. Ask Rich5150 if an L can handle like a Cobra.:beer:

travis if you dont start listing your setup im going to have to perform a "member ban"... very similar to a "citizens arrest"

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
In my sig, go to the open track forum and ask the Mustang guys that have been on track with me if my suspension works well.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
travis if you dont start listing your setup im going to have to perform a "member ban"... very similar to a "citizens arrest"

I'll let travis speak for himself, but as far as me..

I have an 03 Cobra vert, with full length sub frame connectors, Eibach pro-kit springs, stock sways, Bilstein struts to match the springs/springrate...and a PA Racing K member up front with spring perches.

and Travis's truck without any doubt ..would absolutely destroy my car on a road course.

It's responsive, comfortable(not stiff or the traditional lowered truck feel)...its wicked.

:rockon:

Last edited:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I hate these threads.

Makes me want to hold up a bank, then start working on the L.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ok, here's my list:

Full Hotchkis TVS
Hotchkis valved Bilstein shocks
Kenny Brown X-Factor Brace
Full Energy Suspension poly bushing kit
Metco Lower Traction Bars
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer

To be added in July:
Front and rear TCE big brake kit (going from a total of 6 pistons to 20 pistons)
DMR panhard bar
DMR Sptder brace

Maybe adding in July:
Full WMS control arm and steering kit

I may be forgetting some stuff, it's been a while since most of this stuff was installed. If I remember anything else I'll post it.:beer:

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Ok, here's my list:

Full Hotchkis TVS
Hotchkis valved Bilstein shocks
Kenny Brown X-Factor Brace
Full Energy Suspension poly bushing kit
Metco Lower Traction Bars
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer

To be added in July:
Front and rear TCE big brake kit (going from a total of 6 pistons to 20 pistons)
DMR panhard bar
DMR Sptder brace

Maybe adding in July:
Full WMS control arm and steering kit

I may be forgetting some stuff, it's been a while since most of this stuff was installed. If I remember anything else I'll post it.:beer:

wow, thank you sir... so essentially a beefed up tvs. interesting. can you post some pics of the stance?

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Just watch this vid:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413192

That's a 5/8s mile track. I was running 70+mph in the turns and over 100mph in the straights.

i defintiely remember that video from when you posted it the first time.

after watching all of this stuff, i am definitely strongly considering selling the s4, buying an svtfocus as a dd, and dropping about 2k in the L for suspension mods

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Call LFP and get a TVS.

i really want to but there are 3 things standing in my way:
1) i need to get rid of the s4 first
2) if i do a suspension setup, id also want to do new shocks, new bushings, possibly new control arms, and a panhard bar (now were talking 2.5-3k just for parts)
3) i really really loved driving a 6speed vert

203Cree

Established Member
i really want to but there are 3 things standing in my way:
1) i need to get rid of the s4 first
2) if i do a suspension setup, id also want to do new shocks, new bushings, possibly new control arms, and a panhard bar (now were talking 2.5-3k just for parts)
3) i really really loved driving a 6speed vert

Step 1: Sell S4

Step 2: Buy V6 5spd vert Stang

Step 3: Mod truck, DD Stang

Step 4: Profit.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Step 1: Sell S4

Step 2: Buy V6 5spd vert Stang

Step 3: Mod truck, DD Stang

Step 4: Profit.

step 1 = ok

step 2 = BOOOOOOOO BOOOOO V6 stang BOOOOO... i dont generally like stangs, just like i dont generally like trucks. i LOVE L's and i think i love terminators. on top of that, id like to have one very nice weekend car, and 1 complete awd beater dd that gets good gas mileage (hello old subaru?!?)

step 3 = 1/2 realistic

step 4 = oh boy would i love that

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
This is an old thread by Chris that I subscribed to when he did his suspension upgrade.
I was saving this to partially reference when I do mine.

Clicky:http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288273

Hey,buy an ole Eagle Talon for a beater.....AWD,fast,good gas mileage?

i actually remember this exact thread as well... i believe i PMed chris back then to ask him about his setup at the time. i need to get up to tolland, ct to go for a ride and have my mind changed about the L.

i have a feeling the kicker might be the lack of manual tranny and convertible in my L. if i can get a good price for the L after selling the s4, i might have to make the switcheroo

Users who are viewing this thread