Teksid or WAP block?

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
From reading forums, I noticed an ongoing debate about 2001 Cobra engine blocks. I've heard that the 99 Cobra block was Teksid and the 01 block was a WAP. Lots of owners reported having a Teksid block in their 01's and that Ford used them until they ran out and began using the WAP block.

Just a little info, my Cobra was a late build (3361 of 3867, August, 2001) and it came with a Teksid block. I have no idea when they began putting WAP blocks in the 01 Cobras. I hope this info helps someone.

Quote from Wikipedia: The engine block was changed from the Teksid block to the Windsor Aluminum Plant or WAP block. The WAP block is regarded to be weaker than the previous Teksid block. Some 2001s received the Teksid, either from the factory or as a replacement motor.

Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
No one here I don't think knows exactly when the switch was made. Only that it was somewhere during the 01 production run.

As far as strength. Yes it it known that the teksid is the strongest.

But the WAP block will also handle quite a lot. Probably as much as anyone here will ever throw at it.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Agreed, both blocks shouldn't have a problem with any hp for the street, so it really wouldn't make a diff.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
As far as strength. Yes it it known that the teksid is the strongest.

Strongest even compared to let's say an 03/04? I'm considering replacing the rods and pistons and prepping for a blower but then I started to think that my factory teksid wouldn't be able to handle anything over 650 whp.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
Strongest even compared to let's say an 03/04? I'm considering replacing the rods and pistons and prepping for a blower but then I started to think that my factory teksid wouldn't be able to handle anything over 650 whp.
they will hold well over 1000hp

Tarball

Established Member
the Teksid black has been in cars over 1200whp, and the Mach1 WAP block have been in cars over 1000whp.

They are BOTH strong enough for the average(and some unaverage) person.

ItsACobraSon

Established Member
Ok heres my question on blocks, and I dont think its been talked about. What in the aluminator? Someone once said it's "a WAP with lipstick" but ford racing say "Latest generation aluminum 4.6L block".

Teskid, WAP, or a new design? Sounds to me like its completely new.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Reference pic.
Teksid on the right, WAP on the left

comparison-1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread