Teksid Bock in an 01 cobra

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
The other day I was changing my thottle cable and decided to see if I could see the the distinctive pattern of the teksid block. As it turns out when i looked under the intake, I have the teksid block. I was under the impression that only the 96-99 cobras had these in them. Im definatly not complaining but I am very surprised. This has saved me a few thousand dollars easy on the build im planning for next year.:banana:

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Some of the early build 01's have the Teksid block. Unless you're shooting for 1500hp a WAP block would be fine.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
I agree, my goal is just shy of 850rwh. I think should be able to get there with a good set of rods and pistons. I looked at 0n3 performances kits and I was impressed with the price but I need to find out if I can get everything except the turbo from them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Not from what I've seen. I was doing some looking and it seems like you have to get everything or nothing. Which sucks since 90% of the people upgrade the waste gate and BOV right off the bat.

Big_Daddy

Established Member
I purchased my '01 in April of '01 and it came with the Teksid block. I think most if not all '01's had that block. The change came in '03 with the terminators.

Taz

Established Member
Several years ago, we started a thread on one of the forums to determine what the ratio of Teksid to WAP blocks was among 2001 Cobras. Sean Hyland had written that the WAP blocks had replaced the Teksids with the 99-to-01 model change, and that all 01's were equipped with WAP blocks. Then, 01 owners began reporting that their cars had Teksids, so we were curious as to just how many had them.

In our thread, we asked for engine build date (sticker on the driver side of the block), vehicle build date and build number, as well as builder team names. Most, but not all respondents to the thread indicated that their cars had Teksid blocks. IIRC, the ratio was something like 70% Teksid to 30% WAP. As it turned out, neither the engine build date nor the vehicle build date was a good predictor of which block any particular car had. Some early 01's had WAP blocks and some late 01's had Teksids.

My own car was delivered with a Teksid. The car's build date was 30 MAY 01, and its engine build date was 17 APR 01, but as I said the dates can't be tied to the block.

:thumbsup:

Taz

Established Member
mmm not quite. The Teksid block was made from 92-99. There were some left over blocks from the 99 model year that found their way into a certain number of 2001 Cobra's. Very debatable on the number, but the general consensus is that very few 2001's came with the teksid block and there was no rhyme or reason as to how they were chosen.

Here is a thread to check out:

Teksid Block

See my post above.

:rollseyes

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Not from what I've seen. I was doing some looking and it seems like you have to get everything or nothing. Which sucks since 90% of the people upgrade the waste gate and BOV right off the bat.

Agreed and the fuel system definitely needs to be addressed as well!

SVT GT

Established Member
In our thread, we asked for engine build date (sticker on the driver side of the block), vehicle build date and build number, as well as builder team names. Most, but not all respondents to the thread indicated that their cars had Teksid blocks. IIRC, the ratio was something like 70% Teksid to 30% WAP. As it turned out, neither the engine build date nor the vehicle build date was a good predictor of which block any particular car had. Some early 01's had WAP blocks and some late 01's had Teksids.

:thumbsup:

This is good info to know. 70 to 30 is good and imo more than few / some. I have been wonder why the majority of people have been saying they have a teskid in their 01 cobras or their block that they are selling is from a 01 and is a teskid. When the last data was that only a few or some of the teskids made it to the 01 model year. Thanks! :beer:

SilverNotch

Established Member
I was looking under the hood today and mine has the checker board square pattern in the valley as well so I guess I've got a teksid. My 01's motor was built in march and the car was in april.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Its very easy to see with a flashlight looking to the side of the alternator. I was looking at my alternator because it was whistling and noticed it.

Users who are viewing this thread