Teen dies from drug overdose, the drug may surprise you

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
How much caffeine would that be?
Monsters/Rockstars have around 200-240MG.
Mountain Dew 80-120MG?
No clue about the McD's level.

So he probably had around half a gram of caffeine in two hours? Being conservative.

Necrotizing

Established Member
I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. It didn't make much sense to me and made me think there were some underlying heath problems. My reasoning for that is because a large latte from McDonald's has 178mg of caffeine in it and a Monster has 160mg of caffeine. So that's 338mg. Add 54mg of caffeine from the diet Mountain Dew he reputedly drank, and that means 392mg of caffeine was ingested.

While I would see that the level of caffeine would cause possible cold sweats, jitters, and a racing heart; I don't see how it could be the sole cause. Maybe this is because I'm not a doctor. Last I checked, the FDA suggests not to ingest more than 400mg of caffeine a day. This is to do with the uncomfortable side effects including insomnia. While we know he ingested this within a two hour span, I also recall reading years ago that the FDA considered a lethal dose to be a gram. So at the 2 hours mark, if he had drank the latte first, within 2 hours 125mg would have been present from the latte if we consider decay. Leaving 339mg of caffeine present.

This is unfortunate and I feel bad for the family. I yearn to have an energy drink again but haven't touched them since I started having panic attacks last year. Interestingly enough, I had not drank an energy drink in over a month when the panic attacks first happened. I add that information incase someone might make a spurious relationship. Lastly, I think it's probable that there was an underlying heart defect that was exacerbated by the caffeine consumption. Then again, I'm super concerned about cardiovascular health due to my family history, the panic attacks, and my worst fear being having a heart attack. If I'm not mistaken, many people go with heart arrhythmias everyday. This makes me question regular physician checkups and education about one's own health.

Anyone else see any regulations coming after this? I believe so they tried back when Four Loco was first having deaths associated with their consumption.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It is recommended to keep caffeine consumption under the 200-300mg mark per day for adults I thought. Not sure what it is for a teenager. He could have had a pre-existing heart condition, and could have consumed more caffeine that the coroner wasn't informed of.

I agree it doesn't quite sound like it should have been enough to kill the kid, but maybe he was super sensitive to caffeine.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Caffeine doesn't scare the general public, so I don't see any regulations coming from this, especially when it appears to be a very rare occurrence.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
A gram of caffeine is considered lethal?

Better count my blessings. Know during my senior year of college I definitely exceeded that at times.

I too think he may of had an underlying heart condition or some unknown medical issue. Or he was just sensitive to caffeine. My wife can't have(small amount) caffeine or she gets dizzy/headaches. I on the other hand can have a rockstar and fall asleep.

Necrotizing

Established Member
Here is a copy and paste Q and a from the FDA site which I'll link to the article after

Q. What is currently considered a safe amount of daily caffeine?

A. For healthy adults FDA has cited 400 milligrams a day—that's about four or five cups of coffee—as an amount not generally associated with dangerous, negative effects. FDA has not set a level for children, but the American Academy of Pediatrics discourages the consumption of caffeine and other stimulants by children and adolescents. We need to continue to look at what are acceptable levels.

We're particularly concerned about children and adolescents and the responsibility FDA and the food industry have to protect public health and respect social norms that suggest we shouldn't be marketing stimulants, such as caffeine, to our children.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm350570.htm

Zemedici

Established Member
side note

why did he drink that much shit? I mean we were all 'dumb and young' but damn....who chugs an energy drink?

When tanya and I started dating (2 years ago) she LIVED off of monster (2 cans a day) and I did the same during high school as I had a buddy that was a sponsored MMA fighter and he got cases upon cases for free (I would have 2 BFCs a day....hardly touch the shit now). Tanya has since cut WAY down, she still opens 2 a day, but has maybe 2-3 sips of each one before it gets hot and she chucks it. hahahaha

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That is about what I need just to get me started in the morning. I'm not even joking. I start my morning with a 32 oz Light roast (high octane) coffee. Based on the mg per cup with my brewing method, that puts me at about 490-520mg of caffeine before 9am. LOL

Don't even talk to me about when I take the time to make cold brew. We are talking 600+mg of cafeine.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

Stateguy

Established Member
Lol, I use to down an old school four loko before heading to the bar when I was in college. That was before they squeezed in the restrictions on caffeinated alcoholic beverages in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zemedici

Established Member
Lol, I use to down an old school four loko before heading to the bar when I was in college. That was before they squeezed in the restrictions on caffeinated alcoholic beverages in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

good god **** a Four Loko....threw up allllllll over my buddys place last time I had them. Vile things.

Necrotizing

Established Member
I remember when NC put those regulations in. All the kids around me were all pissy. Those things were awful. I recall seeing some new flavors when I was in the Sheetz a couple weeks ago. I gagged thinking about them.

I used to live off pre-workout in college. The thing that gets me are the "proprietary blends" that can't list the content of things in them because they are apparently afraid some other company will take them of the consumers will realize they're being sold fillers.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
In my day we drank these like water:

jolt.jpg

Zodiac

Established Member
In my day we drank these like water:

View attachment 90427
Good ole Jolt Cola. I miss the blue one.

Doesn't surprise me, caffeine is a drug. I work for an Energy Drink company and I drink 1-2 a day. Moderation is key. Should not be chugging any caffeinated beverages.

No different than the people who drink 10-12 cups of coffee a day.

This isn't the first or the last. Media is always looking for someone to blame.

I still think there is more to this store. I'm assuming he had some sort of undiagnosed medical issue, usually is the case in these. Either that or he was sensitive to caffeine.

Last edited:

T.Man

Established Member
I agree with everyone mentioning an underlying health issue. I was consuming around a gram of caffeine a day at one point (I had worked up quite the tolerance over some time) on a daily basis and was never on my death bed from it. Now, I don't recommend this AT ALL. Just sayin... :)

This simply looks like a biased attack on "evil energy drinks". If you look at some of the comments people left, it would make you laugh. "Some of those drinks contain 10x the amount of caffeine as what a cup of coffee contains!!111!!!11 They must be regulated!" Not one mention of the soda or the huge coffee in the article as being a contributing factor.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
what most of you are missing is that he had all that in about 2 hours. that alone will do a healthy kid in

Users who are viewing this thread