Teaser shot of the new project

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I know how the before's look, but believe it or not, the car is clean..this is after a wash AND a clay the paint still looks like that. That crap is IN the clearcoat. As you can see from the after shots, the clear is pitted pretty badly, not sure if a wetsand would help or not.

This is after 3 stages of buffing..multiple times on each stage;
Yellow Pad: SSR3
Orange Pad: SSR3
Orange Pad: SSR2.5

Doing the entire car is going to take awhile. And even after all this, the clear is obviously pitted. But still, it's a dramatic improvement.

Before:
IMG_20130709_211429_zps1816fa23.jpg

IMG_20130709_211355_zpsfcfd22f5.jpg

After:
IMG_20130709_214507_zps1411d5c4.jpg

IMG_20130709_214456_zpsf2b4dae9.jpg

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Mike, I would say a wet sand is in order.
I agree, but I'm pretty sure I'll screw that up..I asked for advice about it in the show and shine saloon, but didn't get much.

And I agree.

Again, I'm with both of you...if either one of you knows someone that'd be willing to come over for an hour and show me how to do that without trashing the paint, I'd spend the time to do it.

Wild strawberry?

Looks a heck of a lot better already! Good luck with it!

Yes, wild Strawberry. White top, White, Grey, Tan, black and red interior. lol. Although when I'm done the interior will be black/white. Black carpet, dash, center console, white seats, door panels, and rear panels.

The car has tan seats from a SN95 car in it, that are in perfect shape, so I'll be selling those once I get started inside if anyone knows someone that needs a set.

And again..if someone wants to come over here and show me how to wet sand, I'd LOVE to learn, I'm certian this car would look really good after a good wetsanding/buff/wax job.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Also, in that last pic, the paint near the camera hadn't been finished yet..just the spot up by the cowl. I've done probably 90% of the hood now, with the first stage of buffing. Hoping to finish up stage 1 on the hood this evening.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, but I'm pretty sure I'll screw that up..I asked for advice about it in the show and shine saloon, but didn't get much.

Just use a lot of soapy water and go easy with 2000 grit. As long as you have a good feel for what you're doing you won't screw it up.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Just use a lot of soapy water and go easy with 2000 grit. As long as you have a good feel for what you're doing you won't screw it up.

Well that's just it..I don't have a good feel for it at all. Never done it, and this is the first car I've owned that could use it, and that I care enough to try.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Mike, I have not done the wet sanding but I have read a lot about it. 2000 grit is super fine. Start with that and use some type of sanding pad to keep the pressure even. Do a little at a time and stay away from any edges.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I see Poor Boys products, PB FTW!!!!
Yessir! The hood is now VERY shiny, but you can still see that the clearcoat is very very pitted, from what looks like rain.

Mike, I have not done the wet sanding but I have read a lot about it. 2000 grit is super fine. Start with that and use some type of sanding pad to keep the pressure even. Do a little at a time and stay away from any edges.

I actually got myself a small sanding block and some 3000 grit and 2000 grit wet paper. Gonna give it a shot this evening see how it goes. The car is inside, so I can't be running water over it constantly, but I have a spray bottle handy to keep the area wet and clean. Gonna start with 3000 grit, and if that isn't smoothing out the pitting, move to 2000. I was gonna use very light pressure, see if I can get some particularly nasty spots on the hood smoothed out. If that works, then I have a big job ahead of me, but the end results should be worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread