Team Z K member Steering Rack Issues

2fastfords

Established Member
Also, I asked team Z about trying a standard bushing, they said I already have the offset one, so cut the gusset and use the bushing you already have. A new standard bushing is $15 so I picked up a set to try them out and see my results.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Saw this thread and man, I feel your pain. I had a customer buy their kmember for his terminator and we had so many damn fitment issues I would have sworn it was the wrong kmember for the vehicle. They swore up and down it was correct and installer error. LOL I can't count how many different kmembers I have installed and never had issues when they were correct for the vehicle. Literally, this thing forced the motor back in order for the bolt holes to line up to the frame, then the trans mount wouldn't line up so those holes had to be redrilled and then we had the steering shaft issues hitting the long tubes and even using a MM solid shaft it still had some issues.

I will NEVER install one of their products again.

Oh yeah, the same guy eventually changed to different long tubes. Took that opportunity to put a different kmember in. Guess what, everything worked as it should and went back to where it should.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's actually a somewhat common issue. If you search around you'll find several instances of this being brought up across various message boards.

Personally, I would send it back. The last thing I'm going to do is start cutting on what should be a direct bolt-on piece. The only other option I see is going to a solid steering shaft. The joints on those tend to be a lot smaller than the rubber joint on the stock steering shaft. You may be able to get away with that, I don't know that for sure. But there again, having to buy an additional aftermarket item just to make their part work, shouldn't be that way unless explicitly stated.

Last edited:

2fastfords

Established Member
Well unfortunately Ive had the K member for about a year, but due to work and other issues Ive only just now had a chance to start to get the car back together. So I dont know if im able to return it.

Not sure what to do.

Last edited:

whyxitx

Established Member
Yup sounds about right. I remember bearing the rack on with a mallet! Although I can't remember if I had to do it with the MM kit.

you ordered new rack bolts too I'm assuming? Stock ones are too long if I remember.. Its been a while.

Did you get your wheels aligned and mounted up to the control arms? I had trouble with mine fitting correctly.

Team z charges a 25% restocking fee or something absurd like that. The guy I bought my stuff through told me that and I about crapped a brick. The only thing of theirs that I kept was the subframe connecters

2fastfords

Established Member
How long did you have your K member for before returning it, did you end up having to pay that full fee?

whyxitx

Established Member
I traded my kit for a maximum motorsports kit because someone on here was going turbo. So I lucked out. I know plenty of people are happy with the team z stuff. I just wasnt impressed with all the stuff I had to do to get it to work..

Users who are viewing this thread