Team Z A Arm Install Question

whyxitx

Established Member
So today i finally got around to installing my Team Z K Member / A Arm kit. But upon putting in my A Arms, i noticed they are crazy loud when i move them. I tightened the bolts to 150 ft/lb. the haynes manual recommended 141-191 ft/lb. Here is a video of the passenger side. When i was putting this side in i had to actually beat it with a rubber mallet to get it to go in .

[video=youtube;TB1GKr_uanU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1GKr_uanU[/video]

20150623_140617_zps6zy0vdtq.jpg

20150623_140624_zpsx1f23mti.jpg

20150623_140631_zpscci3gr9l.jpg

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
I'm not sure, Mine definitely don't sound like that, Mine is all brand new as well, but I didn't torque them to a spec necessarily either, Just used an impact to put them on IIRC

BMR Tech

I am very surprised they do not capture the entire bushing in their mounting brackets, especially since it appears that they use a larger flanged bushing than the tubing OD.

The issue you are having is that the bushings protrude further out (width) than the actual inner sleeve.

In pivoting load bearing applications, you do not want to compress the bushing when torquing. You want the sleeve to be flush with the edge of the bushings, or even stick out a tad.

whyxitx

Established Member
This is my first time ever messing around with suspension, so I was kind of going in blindly. Team z makes good quality stuff, but they lack in instructions. That's for sure. Not sure what I'm going to do about the a arm situation for the passenger side at the moment. My drivers side is in right now so that's a plus.

BMR Tech

Since you are saying the driver side is "right", I recommend taking the driver side out, and measuring the length of the sleeves. Compare them to the ones you are having issues with.

If you do not want to do that, I still recommend removing them and pulling the sleeves out, and put some Amsoil Polymeric Lube in there.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ent-grease-nlgi-2/?code=GPTR2CR-EA&zo=1859448

You will thank me later. ;)

BMR Tech

On a less positive note, I don't think they'll work with my coil overs.
fa347e420228ac2687c1cbb9d2db07d8.jpg

Those looks like Strange Coilovers.

Yeah, the diameter is too large - but the relief is too narrow. lol

I used the same Bilstein struts, with a UPR C/O kit years ago and it worked great. Now it seems that no one else is getting them to work right.

whyxitx

Established Member
Should I notch them to be larger or should I just cut my losses and buy a kit from MM / UPR? The dealer I went through told me these would work.. Lol. He said I needed to clean them up and it would work fine. I'm not sure what to do so I'm messing with my bump steer kit while I wait.

whyxitx

Established Member
New bushings are in. I greased them up this time and they are quiet! Awesome. One problem solved. It looked like I bent the tab from torquing them down but it doesn't appear to interfere with the movement of the A arm so i'm going to leave it for now. Things on my to do list would include; Getting washers so i can use my cotter pin for my ball joints. Figure out what i'm going to do with my coil over situation. And figure out what is going on with my bump steer kit. I'm not sure if this is normal, but on my passenger side it doesn't line up with the hole on the spindle unless it is fully screwed into the rack, but on the driver's side it fits fine where i measured it out to be. Any thoughts?

Here are pictures..

Driver's side is fine.
20150706_210341_zps4guyefjt.jpg

Here is the passenger side
20150706_210403_zpsygcr9b79.jpg

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Looks like the passenger side is screwed all the way in on the tie rod end, while the driver's side has a lot of threads left to go. Did you at least measure distances from the old tie rod end setups to compare with installing the bumpsteer kit? Perhaps the better question would be, are these relatively the positions for the old tie rod ends?

whyxitx

Established Member
I measured them out and put them on the correct distance that they were originally. So yes. I did put them where they were relative to the stock location. My problem is that the passenger side is nowhere near where the stock tie rod end was. The driver side was perfectly fine.

BMR Tech

They shift the rack towards the pass. side like 1.75" or so.

They also drop the rack mounts down (you should use offset bushings if you havent gotten them already)

I was not a fan of the rack mount location of my Cobra...but I can see what they do it for various / wider range of applications.

Users who are viewing this thread