Teacher fired for giving 0% to students who didn't turn in homework

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m pretty sure it also has something to do with $$. If to many students fail the state tests the get less money from the government, also why they are so strict on absences.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Im pretty sure testing and graduation rates all factor into the school's grade. If the school has a bad grade then the county is up their ass until it improves, I don't believe there's a financial incentive but you don't want the district all over you.

They care about attendance because the head count determines funding.

Zemedici

Established Member
Was good in theory, but was a shitshow.

I thought NCLB was replaced in 15 with Every Student Succeeds Act, which scaled back the fed role in K-12 schools?

Quick edit:

The Every Student Succeeds Act: An ESSA Overview

The new Every Student Succeeds Act, signed into law Dec. 10, 2015, rolls back much of the federal government's big footprint in education policy, on everything from testing and teacher quality to low-performing schools. And it gives new leeway to states in calling the shots.

That's a big change from the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), which ESSA replaced and updated.

The Every Student Succeeds Act takes full effect in the 2017-18 school year. Below are key elements of the law.

One more edit:

St. Lucie County superintendent talks about 'no zero' grading policy

“You want to make sure that the grade themselves are not punitive in nature. Students are required to meet certain standards. If you don’t meet it on the first shot then we’re going to give you other opportunities to meet it," Superintendent E. Wayne Gent said, in a sit-down interview Tuesday afternoon.

Gent said students who have difficulty in school don’t often feel positive academic pressure from simply being given a zero when they don't turn in an assignment.

"The easy way is to say, 'Ok, we’re going to move on and leave you behind,' and that student is going to be unsuccessful," he said. "That’s not the culture that we’ve established in the school district.”

Gent reminds people a 50 percent is still a failing grade, which on a four-point grade point average scale is considered a 0.

"We’re not making it easy for students," he said. "It’s holding them accountable. It’s rigor. It’s hard work. We want to make it more difficult to fail than easier to succeed.”

Michelle Mccown said she was surprised to see a 50 percent grade on her daughter's online grade log for assignments that haven't been turned in yet because she was out for doctors appointments. Her daughter attends Southern Oaks Middle School.

“It’s not right," she said. "It teaches them to be lazy.”

It was a complete ****ing waste. Why should we cater to the weak? In nature, the weak die. Its how the world works....the weak don't breed, because then those weak genes are passed down generations. Only the strong survive.

Its a beyond stupid concept. Not every individual is going to be a top performer. Some people are destined to sweep floors. It is what it is. You cannot groom a sweeper into a CEO.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It was a complete ****ing waste. Why should we cater to the weak? In nature, the weak die. Its how the world works....the weak don't breed, because then those weak genes are passed down generations. Only the strong survive.

Its a beyond stupid concept. Not every individual is going to be a top performer. Some people are destined to sweep floors. It is what it is. You cannot groom a sweeper into a CEO.

No Child Left Behind requires all public schools receiving federal funding to administer a statewide standardized test annually to all students. Schools that receive Title I funding through the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 must make Adequate Yearly Progress(AYP) in test scores (e.g. each year, fifth graders must do better on standardized tests than the previous year's fifth graders).

If the school's results are repeatedly poor, then steps are taken to improve the school.[10]

• Schools that miss AYP for a second consecutive year are publicly labeled as "In Need of Improvement," and must develop a two-year improvement plan for the subject that the school is not teaching well. Students have the option to transfer to a better school within the school district, if any exists.
  • Missing AYP in the third year forces the school to offer free tutoring and other supplemental education services to students who are struggling.
  • If a school misses its AYP target for a fourth consecutive year, the school is labelled as requiring "corrective action," which might involve wholesale replacement of staff, introduction of a new curriculum, or extending the amount of time students spend in class.
  • A fifth year of failure results in planning to restructure the entire school; the plan is implemented if the school unsuccessfully hits its AYP targets for the sixth consecutive year. Common options include closing the school, turning the school into a charter school, hiring a private company to run the school, or asking the state office of education to run the school directly.
I fail to see how this was bad in theory.

Now the problem was that teachers began teaching student purely to pass a test instead of actually teaching them.
The schools were already receiving federal funding(from a bill from 1965), the goal was to make sure the schools improved teaching their students via a test established at the state level. They were receiving federal money, why not ask them to improve the ways they were teaching their students? Or are you fine with schools receiving federal money and not giving two shits about how the students did?

The weak? We are talking about kids that are from 6 years old and up?
Weak little ****ers, die off already.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
No Child Left Behind requires all public schools receiving federal funding to administer a statewide standardized test annually to all students. Schools that receive Title I funding through the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 must make Adequate Yearly Progress(AYP) in test scores (e.g. each year, fifth graders must do better on standardized tests than the previous year's fifth graders).

If the school's results are repeatedly poor, then steps are taken to improve the school.[10]

• Schools that miss AYP for a second consecutive year are publicly labeled as "In Need of Improvement," and must develop a two-year improvement plan for the subject that the school is not teaching well. Students have the option to transfer to a better school within the school district, if any exists.
  • Missing AYP in the third year forces the school to offer free tutoring and other supplemental education services to students who are struggling.
  • If a school misses its AYP target for a fourth consecutive year, the school is labelled as requiring "corrective action," which might involve wholesale replacement of staff, introduction of a new curriculum, or extending the amount of time students spend in class.
  • A fifth year of failure results in planning to restructure the entire school; the plan is implemented if the school unsuccessfully hits its AYP targets for the sixth consecutive year. Common options include closing the school, turning the school into a charter school, hiring a private company to run the school, or asking the state office of education to run the school directly.
I fail to see how this was bad in theory.

Now the problem was that teachers began teaching student purely to pass a test instead of actually teaching them.
The schools were already receiving federal funding(from a bill from 1965), the goal was to make sure the schools improved teaching their students via a test established at the state level. They were receiving federal money, why not ask them to improve the ways they were teaching their students? Or are you fine with schools receiving federal money and not giving two shits about how the students did?

The weak? We are talking about kids that are from 6 years old and up?
Weak little ****ers, die off already.

stop. stop. The program makes it the entire class's problem to carry this weak student (the one that'll bomb the standardized test) , instead of letting him fend for himself. This mindset carries all the way to high school.

Like you said they're teaching solely to pass the tests, vs the material needed for life. You should not be instructing based on the test, you should instruct based on the curriculum, and the students either grasp the concepts or they don't.

If they don't, they should get tutoring before / after school, and on weekends. However, instead, when I was in school, the dumb kids would hold up class, so we'd spend the entire lecture repeating the same basic problems and not get to where we needed to be in the curriculum.

VegasMichael

Established Member
My school district requires us to give a 50% to students even if they earned a 0%. Here's the problem: Even though we have two semesters there is no clean slate once the second semester starts. Your GPA is still what it was the previous semester. It carries over. In essence, the school year is really just one long semester. So when we have kids that start off the year getting grades in the 30% range and lower but then improve later in the year and start getting grades in the 60s and 70s, those better grades get averaged with the 50%'s and they are able to pass the class. But in reality, if those 60s and 70s had been averaged with what they really got--those 20s, 30s and 40s--they would have failed the class.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My school district requires us to give a 50% to students even if they earned a 0%. Here's the problem: Even though we have two semesters there is no clean slate once the second semester starts. Your GPA is still what it was the previous semester. It carries over. In essence, the school year is really just one long semester. So when we have kids that start off the year getting grades in the 30% range and lower but then improve later in the year and start getting grades in the 60s and 70s, those better grades get averaged with the 50%'s and they are able to pass the class. But in reality, if those 60s and 70s had been averaged with what they really got--those 20s, 30s and 40s--they would have failed the class.

I see it both ways and can understand it to some degree but it seems school should be teaching you about how life is as well - you dont always get a clean slate and to start over

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The way I see it, if you don’t EARN a passing grade you should get held back. That should motivate you to work harder. Of course the school should work hard to HELP those students that have been held back...but these free passes (getting a 50% when you deserved 0% ) set a horrible example for the students. Real life is not like this....

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You earn the grade you earn. I was lazy in high school, and academically rebelling from having school shoved down my throat since I was a kid. I got no failing scores, but definitely didn't excel in my GPA.

If someone was able to go back and change all those terrible grades to the current grading system Id tell em no. I earned what I earned.

The weak will fail and find themselves in the lower tiered jobs. Those that get their shit together and strive for something better will get it done.

A failure of a student to pass a class or graduate is not a failure of the school. its a failure of the parents. Ultimately, all these kids that **** off, don't do homework or are generally shits are that way due to a bad parenting. If youre a terrible parent, then by god you need to accept it. Don't like it? Be a better ****ing parent.

Zemedici

Established Member
You earn the grade you earn. I was lazy in high school, and academically rebelling from having school shoved down my throat since I was a kid. I got no failing scores, but definitely didn't excel in my GPA.

If someone was able to go back and change all those terrible grades to the current grading system Id tell em no. I earned what I earned.

The weak will fail and find themselves in the lower tiered jobs. Those that get their shit together and strive for something better will get it done.

A failure of a student to pass a class or graduate is not a failure of the school. its a failure of the parents. Ultimately, all these kids that **** off, don't do homework or are generally shits are that way due to a bad parenting. If youre a terrible parent, then by god you need to accept it. Don't like it? Be a better ****ing parent.

Exactly right. I was the same way.

4.0 GPA all the way til 10th grade, and I got bored with class, because there were 3-4 stupid students in my class that just couldn't grasp simple concepts. Instead of referring these children to tutoring, the instructor would hold up class for the entire hour to try and teach these concepts. This was Algebra 2.

I call out instructor.

Instructor tries to get me expelled.

Parents get called for parent teacher conferences.

My mom explains that I am bored because I'm not being challenged. They get into argument, and teacher bucks at my mom, with parents watching from outside classroom.

Teacher gets reprimanded, county gets involved, I am no longer required to take math prior to graduation (as she was only upper level instructor). Chalk one up for Public Education.

ALLLLLLL Would have been avoided if she had told the idiots to take the extra time THEY need to learn the material, everyone ELSE got it. That's the kind of shit I'm talking about.

She's not teaching anymore....hmm....wonder why.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Can we just get on with the apocalypse already? All this winning is ruining everything.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
See it both ways?

like I said, school should prepare you for the fact that you dont always get to start fresh, your mistakes can follow you for a long time.

At the same time a kid that was screwing around to start off the year then gets their shit together - there should be an avenue for them to move forward. Most of these kids if they dont have that opportunity, theyre just dropping out.

As mentioned about the other posts about the parents - it seems a great number of kids have shit parents/no parents. Do we doom them to the same shit life as their parents in an endless cycle or do you try to break that somehow? I used to feel like a lot of you but seeing this shit second hand I guess you could call it you really start to realize some of these kids never had a ****ing prayer without a lot of outside help. At the end of the day you are the only one responsible for your actions but monkey see - monkey do (and I don't mean that racially at all). If all you've ever seen is the behavior of your **** up parents and equally ****ed up circle of friends/family what do you think they're gonna emulate?

Everything isn't so cut and dry and I would venture to say that parents now are probably as bad or worse than they've ever been

Kevins89notch

Established Member
As mentioned about the other posts about the parents

That was my first thought on the subject. So many of SVTP are college grads, married, great parents, live near their parents (free babysitters), etc.

I'm not saying I agree giving 50% when a 0 should be received, but I'm just thinking about the kids who get dealt a shitty hand. Dad is nowhere to be found. Mom works 3 jobs and is never home. Barely any food in the house. Kid often goes hungry. They move 2-3 times a year. No friends. Often home alone The kid isn't stupid, he's just borderline being abused. Some schools offer a free breakfast in addition to free lunch because kids openly admit there's no food at home.

A former coworker, single mom, she worked 5am till 11pm most days, and had a daughter in 4th grade.

I sometimes hit walmart at midnight and see small kids walking around with parents on school nights.

My dryer broke a few months back. I had wet clothes, so I googled a laundromat, drove 7 minutes and got to watch a young kid, maybe 2nd or 3rd grade doing their homework on the floor of the laundromat, at 10pm on a school night.

Someone will quote me and try to argue something, but I won't be replying. I'm not arguing, I'm just stating some kids have it really ****ed up.

As a kid, I was pissed I only got a super nintendo and not a playstation as well. I think I need to go back and thank my parents some more.

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
I'm sure you military folks in here know all about this culture when it comes to performance reviews. You know how hard it was to give someone a 3 on their EPR in the Air Force, damn near impossible without some punitive punishments to back up that 3 rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's another reason why I'm retiring next year. We have turned into a country of sissies and lazy POS!

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
crazy stuff indeed. no work should = 0
BUT
i'm sure this isn't about the grades, it is about a teacher that refuses to do what she's been instructed to do. you don't have to like your job, you just have to do it.
Exactly. Can’t abide by your company’s policies then do not work there.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That was my first thought on the subject. So many of SVTP are college grads, married, great parents, live near their parents (free babysitters), etc.

I'm not saying I agree giving 50% when a 0 should be received, but I'm just thinking about the kids who get dealt a shitty hand. Dad is nowhere to be found. Mom works 3 jobs and is never home. Barely any food in the house. Kid often goes hungry. They move 2-3 times a year. No friends. Often home alone The kid isn't stupid, he's just borderline being abused. Some schools offer a free breakfast in addition to free lunch because kids openly admit there's no food at home.

A former coworker, single mom, she worked 5am till 11pm most days, and had a daughter in 4th grade.

I sometimes hit walmart at midnight and see small kids walking around with parents on school nights.

My dryer broke a few months back. I had wet clothes, so I googled a laundromat, drove 7 minutes and got to watch a young kid, maybe 2nd or 3rd grade doing their homework on the floor of the laundromat, at 10pm on a school night.

Someone will quote me and try to argue something, but I won't be replying. I'm not arguing, I'm just stating some kids have it really ****ed up.

As a kid, I was pissed I only got a super nintendo and not a playstation as well. I think I need to go back and thank my parents some more.

theres a LOT of homeless kids (they do consider living in extended stay to be homeless). They offer the free/reduced breakfast and lunch but people don't sign up for it (dont want to be made of fun, parents wont fill out the paper work etc...). They make a considerable effort to get kids signed up for it but it's an uphill battle. Once they get enough of those students it becomes a title 1 school and they get additional funding that goes into a lot of programs. You should have seen the amount of snacks and such my wife was giving away, I finally told her she had to stop/cut it back (I believe she started getting some of them enrolled in the breakfast/lunch stuff).

After everything I've seen/heard the last few years we stopped doing toy for tots and such at Christmas and go through the school instead.

Blown 89

Established Member
One of my students took a 30 question exam and missed 1 question. The class retook the exam and she missed 1 out of 30 again. The teacher gave her a "D" because she failed to improve.

A boy in her class took the exam and missed 25 questions. On the retake he missed 8 out of 30. The teacher gave him an "A" because he improved. (Just to clarify I don't recall his exact numbers but they were abhorrent).

Her mother is a teacher at the school. The only reason I know about it is because the family was so pissed they vented to me why they were needing to cancel an appointment I had with their daughter. The daughter verified the account and was pretty distraught over it all as she cares about her scholastic career.

Our education system is in shambles right now and Arizona is almost at the bottom of that list.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Guess what? When you don't turn in your WORK on time at your JOB, you don't get paid. They can either learn that lesson now, or learn it later. Kudos to that teacher for teaching them the lesson that no work = no credit.

jaxbusa

Established Member
crazy stuff indeed. no work should = 0
BUT
i'm sure this isn't about the grades, it is about a teacher that refuses to do what she's been instructed to do. you don't have to like your job, you just have to do it.

I agree with this in most cases. However, there are times when we need whistleblowers or bad publicity to right a wrong. This might be one such case. If these administrators are manipulating these scores to make themselves look better or to funnel in more money, we all need to know the truth. This isn’t a regular business. I think anything ran with tax dollars should be completely transparent. It’s like finding out Congress has paid out $15 million of your tax dollars to settle sexual harassment cases. https://www.google.com/amp/www.chi...harassment-hush-money-20171128-story,amp.html

Or finding out that a police department had an illegal ticket quota. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gainesville.com/article/20140826/News/604154737?template=ampart.

I knew the school systems were bad, but we’ll never be able to know just how bad if all the data is false. I feel for teachers.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread