Teach me…pulley and tune

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I’ve never had a supercharged mustang. Alot of The terminators I’m looking at have a upper pulley mod.
Shout out to @LS WUT because he’s answered a lot of my learning curve. I also visited the Bobs FAQs so that answered a lot.
The car has 20k miles, a diablosport 91 octane tune and a 2.80 upper and one idler pulley.
1.what do I need to be concerned about? And if I pick one up with a pulley mod what do I need to do to make sure it’s good for many more miles.
2. I will likely be buying out of state so that limits if I could do a compression and leak down right away or can I or do I even need to…

Thank you

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you have a car in mind already? If so post a link. Even if it's out of state the owner should be able to take it to a mechanic for a leak down or compression check.

The issue is its easy to put these cars back to stock. So it could have had a big blower at one time and then beat on.

At the very least I'd get the tune checked out on any car I get. Or get an updated tune.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’d say since you’re buying out of state it might be worth you flying out first to do your own in or ruin if the vehicle. Saves some hassle long term about it. Taking it to a ford dealer, or a reputable shop in that area for a leak down, and compression test. The smaller upper pulley isn’t the end of the world. As I stated before generally when spinning the smaller pulley on a stock alternator it spins the alternator rather quick and those tend to kick the bucket. Considering those mods it’s not like he’s making wild power that I’d be concerned about something crazy. These cars tend to hold their own.

With that being said the 20k mile cars are a blessing and a curse. It all depends on how often it was driven, how long did it sit for a period of time. The bushings, fluids, hoses all of those things need to be circulated on occasion to keep them going. It’s a pain in the butt for me to do it with my 19k mile car since she’s on dolleys, however I make sure I start her about 2 times a week. Also I make sure she gets driven around the block at least once a month. I run stabilizer in the tank for the gas, I run amsoil oil that’s good for a year, or 15k miles. So regardless of what miles it goes I change it. Like I had said before ask how long ago it was tuned and see what he says.

No matter what you do, if or when you buy that car. Change the fluids, change spark plugs, swap to new fuel, look at the brake pads, etc. that’s always my first order of business when purchasing a car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The upper pulley doesn't affect alternator RPM. Only the crank pulley does. What happens is people run small upper pullies and then put on a belt that puts the tensioner against the stop so there's no give. That kills the bearings. IMO that's also what kills the idlers. But that's another discussion.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If possible, find a Terminator for sale here on SVTPerformance where you can track (backwards through threads) info on the car. For example, I had been active on this forum for a couple of years at the time and posted a lot about my '03 Cobra. People here got to know the car pretty well just from my posts. So when I decided to sell it, an SVTP member in Arizona jumped on it right away because he felt VERY comfortable buying it. I know this isn't the "norm" for most buyers, but it can, and does, happen.

Another suggestion is finding an SVTP member local to where the car is who might be able to check it out for you. I did that once for a member in CA, I believe. After I checked it out (I was familiar with the owner who was a member here, as well), the buyer (also an SVTP member) was comfortable after getting my feedback and reviewing the pics and video I took) then felt comfortable proceeding with the purchase. After the car was delivered, he was very happy with the car.

dan1982

Established Member
I’ve never had a supercharged mustang. Alot of The terminators I’m looking at have a upper pulley mod.
Shout out to @LS WUT because he’s answered a lot of my learning curve. I also visited the Bobs FAQs so that answered a lot.
The car has 20k miles, a diablosport 91 octane tune and a 2.80 upper and one idler pulley.
1.what do I need to be concerned about? And if I pick one up with a pulley mod what do I need to do to make sure it’s good for many more miles.
2. I will likely be buying out of state so that limits if I could do a compression and leak down right away or can I or do I even need to…

Thank you
Having the compression and leakdown done tells the whole story. NO SET of eyeballs can see inside an engine. It doesnt matter whos set of eyeballs it is. I think you know this.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
When I bought mine in '05, had 2.80 upper w/ Predator can tune making 465rhw/495rwtq. Added 4# lower and IV port it made 495rwhp/522rwtq with belt slipping.

Check if previous owner has any dyno graphs from modifications.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
When I bought mine in '05, had 2.80 upper w/ Predator can tune making 465rhw/495rwtq. Added 4# lower and IV port it made 495rwhp/522rwtq with belt slipping.

Check if previous owner has any dyno graphs from modifications.
He’s the original owner and said he never dynoed it. Ran the Diablo sport 93 octane tune, then had a shop tune it at one time that he didn’t like and now currently has the 91 octane tune on it.

Users who are viewing this thread