Tax time..

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I feel like middle class tax brackets are designed in such a way that you need to make the top threshold amount in your bracket, lest you get wrecked.

Bracket is
  • 22%: $77,401 to $165,000.
You damn well better make above 100k otherwise your check is crap.

I agree. I've always thought that. You'd be better off making $77,400 than $95,000.

sleek98

Established Member
Really depends on the client. I have clients that pay just the min to avoid the underpayment penalty and write the balance due on the April 14th. Other clients contact me 3 times a year with pay stubs to look at their withholding and give them my suggestion to adjust their withholding.

Really just depends on how good you are at keeping money in an account and not touching it. Pick your poison and roll with it.

Machdup1

Established Member
That's how I've done it for a few years. This past year, with my divorce, and a few income changes...my accountant was off by 5 figures. haha

Live and learn. I'm just going to chalk 2017 up as a shitty year and get rolling on this one.
Mine was off by six digits and the first number was not a one (had me over pay).

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
no, that's not how it works. you only pay 22% on the amount above $77,400.

I know, I'm not saying you come out money ahead...I was just making light of having to pay a larger percentage.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
SC is so money rich with all of the new businesses and citizens that we actually have gotten tax breaks a solid few years in a row. We did have a gas tax hike, but that's because our paved roads aren't as smooth as 100 year old gravel driveways on a good day.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I agree. I've always thought that. You'd be better off making $77,400 than $95,000.

Meh, I don't agree. So you're paying another 2% on that extra $17,600. That's a whopping $352 extra. What sucks ass is paying another 8% on everything past 315k (not me btw). Or having to file a single return. LOL.

I'm liking this Trump bracket vs the 2017. Dropping that 4th bracket down 4% is going to be a big help for me.

As far as your original question I just take out more per check. Nice and simple and I don't have to worry about it. My income varies since I'm self employed though. So I just run some numbers end of every quarter and if I need to I will make an extra 1 time tax payment if it looks like I'm falling behind.

My wife doesn't work so I don't have to worry about her accidentally making too much. If your wife does that's another variable to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Meh, I don't agree. So you're paying another 2% on that extra $17,600. That's a whopping $352 extra. What sucks ass is paying another 8% on everything past 315k (not me btw). Or having to file a single return. LOL

I was kidding..

Users who are viewing this thread