Tattoos and tipping

CV355

_
Established Member
Can't say anything on tattoos, but I think it's the same for tipping in general.

When my Mach 1 got shipped in back in October, the truck driver looked pretty upset that I didn't tip. It was COD for shipping excluding deposit. I handed him $1200. He counted it, said it was good, then stood there for an awkward 10 extra seconds, maintaining eye contact. I made it more awkward by saying "ooooooo....k.... well I'm going to go check the car out now."

I dislike the obligation implied for tipping at a lot of places- forcing you to select a tip option, or making you sign a slip before they give you your order. I always tip when the service is good at a restaurant. There were only two times when I didn't tip at all- one when the waiter was high and sat down to watch a college football game instead of bringing us food, and the other when the waitress got in an argument with my wife over a salad (waitress threw an attitude and insulted my wife)

Tipping at restaurants puts the wait staff in an awkward position with customers while the company gets away with paying less. Then again, some wait staff make bookoos of money on tips one day, brag about it, then complain when the Sunday crowd hands them Bible tracts instead of cash.

My94GT

Established Member
I’ve tipped for all my tattoos, it’s an annoyance to me I feel obligation to tipping the artist but if the work is good and I want to go back I’d like them to remember I took care of them.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that I don't have any tattoos...
I gotta ask though...
Do you guys tip your doctors and nurses? What about people that work for the city? Do you tip your airline pilot? Do you tip the teacher?
I guess what I am saying it's your money, do with it as you wish.
I would think I would tip the person that keeps me alive (doctor or nurse) over some tattoo artist.
If you have that much money to throw away, go for it. I look at it (if I ever was to get a tattoo) that you are paying for the service already.
Now, I will say that if I like the person (just a good all around person) I have no problem doing something for them that lets them know I appreciate their hard work. Especially if someone goes beyond what they need to do to help me out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that I don't have any tattoos...
I gotta ask though...
Do you guys tip your doctors and nurses? What about people that work for the city? Do you tip your airline pilot? Do you tip the teacher?
I guess what I am saying it's your money, do with it as you wish.
I would think I would tip the person that keeps me alive (doctor or nurse) over some tattoo artist.
If you have that much money to throw away, go for it. I look at it (if I ever was to get a tattoo) that you are paying for the service already.
Now, I will say that if I like the person (just a good all around person) I have no problem doing something for them that lets them know I appreciate their hard work. Especially if someone goes beyond what they need to do to help me out.
Totally different. Read my post a little further back, don't feel like repeating myself.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Totally different. Read my post a little further back, don't feel like repeating myself.

Bullshit.
So you would tip an artist that you commission for a painting?
It is a SERVICE that you are paying for by (sometimes) an artist.
Look, its your money. I don't care what you do with it.
But, if you like pissing money away you should consider tipping people that keep you alive or your life is in their hands. Unless you don't see the need for thato_O

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Bullshit.
But, if you like pissing money away you should consider tipping people that keep you alive or your life is in their hands. Unless you don't see the need for thato_O
Listen hear. Artist spend there "own" time doing custom drawings. And client's generally are not sitting there while the artist are drawing something up. Some do this on there own time at home. Tipping isn't a requirement, but if I have problems later my artist will take care of me.

And just because you pay for a service doesn't mean it will be good. Artists remember good client's.

I would make a guess you also tip like crap for a waiters...

And if you don't have any tattoos, you're views mean very little to me on this subject.

Adower

Established Member
I tip My tattoo artist for two reasons. He is my brothers close friend and usually charges 150-175$ an hour. For 3 hour sessions he only charges me 100$.

He has done some work on celebrities such as the band members of Korn.

My94GT

Established Member
Bullshit.

Those people also get paid generally good pay, have availability to work over time, often are not correct the first go round but still get paid for multiple visits, and generally are supported with health benefits, and retirement plans.

A tattoo artist is left to source that shit them self, maintain optimal quality or lose buisness. The list can go on.

I’m not saying you are completely wrong but your views of who should and shouldn’t be tipped seem a bit skewed.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
A little off topic.... but how do I go about getting a tattoo? Just walk into a shop?
I've had some bad ink, some are covered up, one on my back isn't. I'd recommend doing some searching on the internet. Look at some artists portfolios and see who's work you like.

My artist won't just tattoo anything. If he's uncomfortable doing a piece or getting bad vibes from a client he won't tattoo them. In my opinion this is important. He's not going to tattoo anything or everything just to make money.

velocicaur

Established Member
This is an interesting topic.

I do not have any tattoos but ew do tip in general. If they do a good job and there is a good chance that I will see them again, I would definitely tip.

For example, the auto mechanic. It's a small family joint. We've brought our cars there for years. It was the middle of summer and the wife mentioned something about it would be nice to be out on the lake. Well, we have two jet skis that were just sitting on the trailer. "If you are interested, you are more than welcome to take them out for the day." They accepted and took them out for a few hours after work one day. One of the better business decisions we've made so far. I can call any time and we get service right away. No waiting or messing around. They even let me take their personal vehicle for the day while they worked on mine. When you figure two three hour jetski rentals may cost about 350-400 bucks...that is nothing in terms of the return we've had from that.

We had a septic tank issue in the winter. The tank was full and it was starting to back up. There had to be at least a foot of snow in the back yard. The guy came out instantly and started shoveling the snow away and slamming his shovel into the frozen ground. That was a hell of a job. He didn't have to do that but he did. Considering that it allowed me to flush the toilet and run the shower that night... another $50 well spent.

I worked at a hotel for a while. The housekeepers were paid by room. They made about 9 dollars an hour if they completed three rooms an hour. As you can imagine, it takes some effort to do a really good job to finish three rooms in an hour. The ladies would squeal when they got a tip, even $20. If you're staying for a few days, I would highly suggest doing that. You'll have more towels than you need, another change of sheets, and anything else you ask for.

It's funny that you brought up health professionals. I don't tip them and have never thought about that which is really interesting since they deal with your health. A lot of them get paid by what insurance pays them and not necessarily the extent that they put in. I had a really positive experience when I saw a PT with my back. I thought he did a heck of a job and was really thorough with me and really cared. Considering how I felt when I went in and how I felt 8 weeks later - that was easily worth a $100 tip. The dentist would be pretty similar when you have an emergency. They can always call in pain pills and not see you for another day or two, or they can get in you the same day or definitely the next morning. I know dentists are not short on cash but I am really thankful mine was available when needed. I'll have to toss in a few extra bucks next time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is an interesting topic.

I do not have any tattoos but ew do tip in general. If they do a good job and there is a good chance that I will see them again, I would definitely tip.

For example, the auto mechanic. It's a small family joint. We've brought our cars there for years. It was the middle of summer and the wife mentioned something about it would be nice to be out on the lake. Well, we have two jet skis that were just sitting on the trailer. "If you are interested, you are more than welcome to take them out for the day." They accepted and took them out for a few hours after work one day. One of the better business decisions we've made so far. I can call any time and we get service right away. No waiting or messing around. They even let me take their personal vehicle for the day while they worked on mine. When you figure two three hour jetski rentals may cost about 350-400 bucks...that is nothing in terms of the return we've had from that.

We had a septic tank issue in the winter. The tank was full and it was starting to back up. There had to be at least a foot of snow in the back yard. The guy came out instantly and started shoveling the snow away and slamming his shovel into the frozen ground. That was a hell of a job. He didn't have to do that but he did. Considering that it allowed me to flush the toilet and run the shower that night... another $50 well spent.

I worked at a hotel for a while. The housekeepers were paid by room. They made about 9 dollars an hour if they completed three rooms an hour. As you can imagine, it takes some effort to do a really good job to finish three rooms in an hour. The ladies would squeal when they got a tip, even $20. If you're staying for a few days, I would highly suggest doing that. You'll have more towels than you need, another change of sheets, and anything else you ask for.

It's funny that you brought up health professionals. I don't tip them and have never thought about that which is really interesting since they deal with your health. A lot of them get paid by what insurance pays them and not necessarily the extent that they put in. I had a really positive experience when I saw a PT with my back. I thought he did a heck of a job and was really thorough with me and really cared. Considering how I felt when I went in and how I felt 8 weeks later - that was easily worth a $100 tip. The dentist would be pretty similar when you have an emergency. They can always call in pain pills and not see you for another day or two, or they can get in you the same day or definitely the next morning. I know dentists are not short on cash but I am really thankful mine was available when needed. I'll have to toss in a few extra bucks next time.
Exactly. This reminds me, this past Christmas morning I get home from work shortly after 6am. Our furnace wasn't working. I called the on call service guy at 7 am. He showed up within 20 minutes and fixed the problem. I gave him 50 dollars cash, thanked him, and said Merry Christmas. I'm willing to bet he won't forget.

Users who are viewing this thread