Tata signs Jaguar, Land Rover acquisition deal with Ford

Rochard

Established Member
Just in.....

Anyone find it odd that an Indian company is buying these two luxury cars brands?

Tata signs Jaguar, Land Rover acquisition deal with Ford

NEW DELHI (AFP) - India's Tata Motors has signed a multi-billion-dollar deal with ailing US automaker Ford to buy luxury British icons Jaguar and Land Rover, the Press Trust of India reported Wednesday.

The agency put the value of the deal at 2.0 to 2.5 billion dollars.

Quoting unnamed sources close to the issue, PTI said the deal was signed late on Tuesday and that a formal announcement would be made later Wednesday at 1200 GMT.

Contacted by AFP, Tata Motors spokesman Debasis Ray declined to confirm the PTI report.

"We will make an announcement at the appropriate time," he said.

There have been a flurry of reports this week that Tata was poised to sign a deal to buy Jaguar and Land Rover, which would mark the Indian company's first drive into luxury motoring terrain.

Tata Motors is India's top vehicles maker, controlling more than half of the country's truck market and nearly 20 percent of its passenger car market, and is keen to expand beyond Asia.

With the purchase, Tata would be in the unusual position of making two of the world's most prestigious brands along with its least costly cars.

In January, the company unveiled the world's cheapest car, costing 2,500 dollars, amid predictions the no-frills vehicle could revolutionise how millions in India and elsewhere travel.

Ford, which announced it was selling Jaguar and Land Rover last year as part of a restructuring after posting a record 12.6 billion dollar loss, named Tata as the preferred bidder for the two marques in January.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
This could be bad because Tata has made notions that they wouldn't keep these historic companies in their traditional fashion but we'll just have to see. Jag and Alfa are talking about a merger to sell cars in the same dealerships so Alfa can ease it's way back into the US market. That could be good exposure for Jag as people go to check out the new Alfas and see the Jags as well. So I guess we'll just have to see how this all goes, I'd hate to see Jaguar go down the crapper.

I was also surprised Ford continued to sell Jaguar after they received 10k preorders for the new XF. It looks as if they are on their way up again.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
I gotta say, I'm not in the position to buy hardly any products from either...BUT if I was, the fact that Tato owns them would kill it for me.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I gotta say, I'm not in the position to buy hardly any products from either...BUT if I was, the fact that Tato owns them would kill it for me.

Exactly! They're working on selling a car in the US for a mere 2500 bucks. That just doesn't seem to fit with these two premier companies.

Users who are viewing this thread