Tape Stripes and Wax

acroholic

Established Member
Guys,
Got a 2013 black with matte black stripes. When I wax the car, do I stay away from the tape, or wax it as well, or what? Thanks. Never had tape stripes before.

CIMG5207_zpsf47656f7.gif

svt 500

Established Member
Don't use paste wax on the stripes unless you want to be out there for hours getting it off the edge. I use Turtle Wax Ice (liquid) on the stripes and paste for the rest of the paint. I think some have used paste but they will have to chime in on their experience.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I recently purchased Chemical Guys "Matte Detailer" that is designed to be used on vinyl.

I haven't tried it yet but am expecting good results.

I would not use paste wax.

WI-2014

Established Member
Your car looks awesome! Pick my 2014 black vert up tomorrow with the same stripes. I am planning to use Opti-Coat 2.0 on it as the stripes can take it too, and you don't need to wax - just use quick detailer. Hope you find the right answer for you!

289HiPo

Established Member
Look at the zaino website. I used their products on my white with blue stripes. Looks great! I talked to their tech guy before I did mine. Call their tech line and tell him what you have. He can guide you.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Turtle wax ice is great when you want to not worry about taping off things. It works really well too. User friendly

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Marc

Established Member
And don't mask off the stripes with a generic adhesive tape. Did that and got it on the side of the stripe and it was a pain in the ass getting the glue from the tape off the stripe. Learn from my mistake. I don't wax my stripes.

Imatk

Established Member
I second the recommendation for the Chemical guys products.

It's designed specifically for the matte finish of your stripes.

If you use a regular wax/sealant it could make them look shiny.

Husky44

Established Member
I have waxed stripes on many different cars for years, and had no issues. I not only waxed my matte black stripes, but clay-barred them as well, and saw absolutely no visual issues, no additional shinyness, and no problems with wax on the edges (carnuba paste).

It will help protect them from oxidation, in my experience. I'm not sure why there's so much resistance to the idea; I've been doing it for 30+ years.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
Ever since I used the Collinite Insulator wax, I've never touched anything else. Nutin sticks to it and it is hard as nails. It's also a semi liquid/paste so it doesn't harm matte stripes.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
And don't mask off the stripes with a generic adhesive tape. Did that and got it on the side of the stripe and it was a pain in the ass getting the glue from the tape off the stripe. Learn from my mistake. I don't wax my stripes.
Yup. This.

Pick up some 3M blue painters tape

mullens

Established Member
I have waxed stripes on many different cars for years, and had no issues. I not only waxed my matte black stripes, but clay-barred them as well, and saw absolutely no visual issues, no additional shinyness, and no problems with wax on the edges (carnuba paste).

It will help protect them from oxidation, in my experience. I'm not sure why there's so much resistance to the idea; I've been doing it for 30+ years.

Whatever works for you great. I had matte stripes on my '10.. didn't like wax (left a haze). Not so much resistance to waxing stripes but wax is designed for paint, not vinyl.

Imatk

Established Member

Some waxes will make a matte finish shiny, it really just depends on what wax or sealant.

As for waxing shiny vinyl yeah there's no problem with that at all... they react the same way a clear coat finish would react.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
wouldn't touch the Matte with wax as it's known to dry the material quicker. I've used the cleaner from Harley Davidson and it cleans up great, better than the Chemical Guys!

If you happen to rub on the stripe while waxing, just use the spray cleaner and wipe it right off. Letting it sit creates issues.....

g/l

Users who are viewing this thread