Taking the cobra to Modular Powerhouse on Monday...problems with my car

pianoman90

Established Member
Well I've decided that I'm going to take my car to Modular Powerhouse on Monday and let them try to fix it. Ever since I did the port/lower/tune my car just hasn't run well. Originally the car was tuned at 504/536 at 11.8 A/F, then a month later put 458/488 at 10.0 A/F. I contacted my tuner and he retuned the car back to 500/532 at 11.8 A/F. Now when I cruise down the street, I have a bog (more noticable than it used to be) at 1800rpms and the A/F leans out to 17.1 then back to normal. At WOT, the A/F is all over the board and I let off to save the motor.

I keep getting random DTCs about a lean condition and fuel delivery error (P0148, P0172, P0175), but I'm not sure what needs to be done. I've checked several things (fuses/MAF/vacuum leaks/filters/etc...), but can't figure out what could be causing the problem. I fear it may be a motor issue becuase I had oil all over the threads of my spark plugs about 1,000 miles ago when I changed them, and now I develop this A/F problem. Hopefully they will be able to get the car running the way it used to. I'm going to get them to tune it while it's there because I'm not sure if my current tune is to blame for the problems.

It's about a 2 hour drive from my house, but I'd feel better taking it to them than leave it at any shop here in town. Anyone have experience with MPH? Worst case and the motor has taken a crap, are MPH built motors pretty good or would you all go with the Aluminator?

Last edited:

antiv6

Established Member
modular powerhouse does great work, they tuned my car and all of my mustang buddies go there to get work done

MikeW

Established Member
I doubt (hope) that it is nothing major.

Either way Tim is one of the best tuners/builders out there and can fix you up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One positive thing about taking your car to MPH is that they should be able to check the motor over pretty good and if any issues are discovered fix them. That in and of itself will give you some peace of mind. If you were more mechanically savvy you could troubleshoot your motor yourself, but it sounds like you're at a point where you need someone to do the troubleshooting. I personally think you're doing the right thing.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
MPH built my GT and tuned both cars. :rockon: It's a 2.5 hour drive for me also, but that's nothing.

Last edited:

pianoman90

Established Member
One positive thing about taking your car to MPH is that they should be able to check the motor over pretty good and if any issues are discovered fix them. That in and of itself will give you some peace of mind. If you were more mechanically savvy you could troubleshoot your motor yourself, but it sounds like you're at a point where you need someone to do the troubleshooting. I personally think you're doing the right thing.

Well I've done most of the work on the car myself (springs/port/lower/etc...), but I'm tired of trying to troubleshoot this problem. I usually end up spending money on parts I don't need to replace and that is frustrating. Hopefully they will be able to look at it and quickly be able to tell what's going on. And the peace of mind is also nice to have, since they will be doing the work and tuning the car.

did you check your TPS....?

I haven't checked that yet, throttle positioning sensor I'm guessing?

did MPH originally tune your car?

No Doug @ BamaChips tuned the car originally. I'm not saying the problem is his tune, but I've had this problem ever since I've had the tune. When he tuned it the first time and retuned it, the car put out decent numbers. After driving for a while, it seems like the car would go back to running like crap. So I'm not sure if it was a problem with the motor that is causing the good tune to go bad, or just a bad tune.

I'm just looking forward to the day when I can nail the gas and have some fun in the car again. It's really a downer to have 500rwhp and have to baby it down the road!

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
The guys at MPH are great! You may pay a little more, but they do great work and stand behind it 100%. I have been bringing them my car since I got it almost 1.5 years ago and I will continue to bring them my car.

pianoman90

Established Member
UPDATE:

I dropped my car off at MPH yesterday and they started their work on it this morning. I talked with Mike and he said they did a compression/leak down test on the motor and all is good there...which is a huge relief to the wallet. As of now, they have been tuning the car on the dyno working to smooth everything out. Tim said the tune on my car was the worst he has seen (based on my fuel trims). He also believes that my BAP isn't wired properly and was going to double check the connections.

So thus far I am feeling better about things; I was expecting a bad motor but was pleasently surprised. I figured since the car was at MPH, I would go ahead and have my stock clutch changed (36,000 miles) for a Spec 3+ clutch/flywheel, 26 spline input shaft, quadrant/firewall adjuster. So after they finish tuning the car, they'll install the clutch and I'll be on my way to picking up the car.

BTW, since the car is being retuned, I'll be sure to post up the new numbers.

Sic - I see in your sig that you have the exact same clutch/flywheel setup I'm getting. Did MPH install yours? How is the chatter/drivability?

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
as i've said before, you HAVE to stick with the guys that ACTUALLY KNOW how to tune these cars! i'm glad your problems are being worked out.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Sic - I see in your sig that you have the exact same clutch/flywheel setup I'm getting. Did MPH install yours? How is the chatter/drivability?

Yes, MPH installed the clutch/flywheel and CQ and FW adjuster. I will say that when you leave the shop, the clutch will feel really stupid and the chatter and drive ability sux for the breakin period, not to mention the catch point will be really high up (it will settle down a little as the clutch breaks in). Just break it in smooth and don't glaze it over. I went over 1K miles before pushing the car (For you it will be harder since you will want to feel the new tune:rockon:).

The Chatter will get less and less as the clutch gets more broken in. I DD mine and have no issues what so ever. On cold startups, the clutch still chirps a little out of first gear but nothing bad. It's a great clutch, but a little grippy and it will take a few times out to get used to it.

Over all I love the setup:beer:

Thrust

Established Member
MPH will take care of you. I have been very happy with their work, and will continue to take my car there.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Do you still have the stock FPDM? That could be the culprit, perhaps it is time for an upgraded FPDM to handle the load you are tossing at it with the BAP.

pianoman90

Established Member
Do you still have the stock FPDM? That could be the culprit, perhaps it is time for an upgraded FPDM to handle the load you are tossing at it with the BAP.

Yeah I have the stock FPDM/stock pumps with the BAP/60#s. I'll hear from MPH tomorrow and see if they fixed the BAP wiring and then see what happens. I think if something is wrong with the FPDM they should be able to figure it out, but I'll let you all know. Thanks for the help.

Yes, MPH installed the clutch/flywheel and CQ and FW adjuster. I will say that when you leave the shop, the clutch will feel really stupid and the chatter and drive ability sux for the breakin period, not to mention the catch point will be really high up (it will settle down a little as the clutch breaks in). Just break it in smooth and don't glaze it over. I went over 1K miles before pushing the car (For you it will be harder since you will want to feel the new tune:rockon:).

The Chatter will get less and less as the clutch gets more broken in. I DD mine and have no issues what so ever. On cold startups, the clutch still chirps a little out of first gear but nothing bad. It's a great clutch, but a little grippy and it will take a few times out to get used to it.

Over all I love the setup:beer:

It's definately going to be difficult to stay off the gas, but hopefully they'll get everything installed correctly. I think that some people who still have chatter consistently after the break-in period have an issue with clutch adjustment, and was looking to see how an MPH installed clutch turned out. I don't mind any break-in period chatter, but I hope it will be reduced after 1,000 miles or so. Glad to hear your setup has turned out well.

pianoman90

Established Member
So one of the fuel pumps was fried from an improperly wired BAP :bash: I hate wiring but figured I could do it myself and followed a few write-ups on the board. Next time I'll take it to someone who knows what they're doing...you live and learn.

Since the tank is dropped, they're gonna go ahead and replace both pumps with focus pumps. Hopefully they should arrive later this afternoon or tomorrow, and if the clutch comes in soon, the car could be ready on Saturday.

BUstang

Established Member
I bet you a dollar that every single one of your issues is tune related. I got a shitty tune from a shop i wont mention, and my cars driveability went to the toilet. That's why ill be visiting HPP here in the very near future.

pianoman90

Established Member
I bet you a dollar that every single one of your issues is tune related. I got a shitty tune from a shop i wont mention, and my cars driveability went to the toilet. That's why ill be visiting HPP here in the very near future.

Well from what MPH is telling me, that seems to be the case. When I had a 2.8 upper only and a Lamotta tune, the car ran like a bat out of hell and I never had a single issue with drivability. Ever since I had the new parts tuned by the guy here...drivability has taken a crap, and it has been a chore to have to take it out on the road. Now the BAP toasting a fuel pump may be my fault though, but I followed all the directions to a tee, so I'm not sure what happened there. I'd love to be in Atlanta right now so I could see what I messed up, but I'm 2 hours away and trusting MPH to do the right thing.

** Just got off the phone with Tim and he said the very first baseline he did yesterday with the BamaChips tune put down 477. Before discovering the fuel pump/BAP wiring issue, Tim did a second pull with his tune but had to stop the dyno becuase I had ~25 psi of fuel pressure at WOT. He even though the dyno was stopped short and he really didn't fine tune anything, it netted ~30rwhp more per RPM than the Bamachips tune. I also found out from Tim that the Bamachips tune had my rev limiter set at 6,000 and I never knew about it. So I'm realizing that the tune I had was a complete waste and he bumped down the limiter to cover it up. Kind of scary becuase he was highly recommended by the 05+ GT crowd!

Just curious.. Why the focus pumps over the GT pumps?

MPH recommended them because it's a direct swap (GT pumps require additional parts from what I hear) and said they've used them on other customers cars with success.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread