Takata Airbag Recall

Snoopy49

Established Member
Yeah it's not worth the risk. So anyone know what airbag(s) are affected? I'm assuming all airbags which seems like a fairly involved job.

Drivers side steering wheel airbag only. At least that's the only one mentioned in the recall.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
The drivers side airbag is a easy process and well worth getting fixed! There isn't much they can do to scratch anything doing that recall..

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The drivers side airbag is a easy process and well worth getting fixed! There isn't much they can do to scratch anything doing that recall..

While that may be true, I don't trust the local Ford dealer to do ANYTHING with my car. Moreover, I've still received nothing indicating parts are actually available to perform the work.

For the time being, I'm just happy I live in a cool, dry climate where heat and humidity related problems (like the airbags) tend NOT to occur.

railroad

Established Member
I am surprised some of the responsible parties have not designed a diaper to cover the steering wheel airbag. I am sure it would be a slippery slope, but how much more liable can you be if deaths are the alternative.

Nothing like the manufacturers instructions to do it right. Good stuff Snoop!

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you don't mind the airbag light on the dash being on all the time you can pull the fuse they talk about in the pdf I posted. This will also turn off all the other airbags.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  2. Turn the ignition to OFF.
  3. At the Smart Junction Box (SJB), located in the RH lower kick panel, remove the cover and the RCM fuse 31 (10A) from the SJB . For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual.
  4. Turn the ignition ON and monitor the air bag warning indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag warning indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag warning indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  5. Turn the ignition OFF.

Kapy

Established Member
While that may be true, I don't trust the local Ford dealer to do ANYTHING with my car. Moreover, I've still received nothing indicating parts are actually available to perform the work.

For the time being, I'm just happy I live in a cool, dry climate where heat and humidity related problems (like the airbags) tend NOT to occur.

I am with you Norton. It is completely painful to think about taking the car in to the dealership. Reasons:

1. Most techs don't care about your car, scratch it, rub against it, or worse joy ride it.

2. If the tech doesn't scratch it, rub against it, or joy ride it somebody else like the porter/valet will.

3. Oh don't forget to tell them NOT to wash your car unless you want the last 2 reasons to happen for sure.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I got a notice a few weeks ago to bring in my 2006 model for the replacement.

The car has been modified for drag racing (Saleen SC, etc.). I am reluctant to bring it in.

I may just deactivate the damn thing and drive it like that, except when it needs inspection.

If I do take it in, I will tell them to not overwrite the PCM under no circumstances since there is a custom program in there from Brenspeed for the Saleen SC.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Just received.

Airbag Recall Notice 2.jpg

Teddy O

Established Member
I've been dreading this letter, haha.

Hopefully it's a quick repair, as I really do not want to drop my car off at the dealer.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm looking at one too. I remain less than concerned and, like many, my car is stored for the winter. I need to find a dealer I can trust with my car in the spring.

LOL! I just said dealer and trust in the same sentence. I'll look for one of those right after I capture a unicorn carrying a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow...

SRTchris

Established Member
Got mine other day. But brother IN law works at local ford. Said they don't even have the bags for the GT500s yet. So doesn't even matter

Users who are viewing this thread