Tag scanners not used be a LEO

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
How legal are they? I saw this car locally the other day and wasn't clear on the laws or area they operate out of. I'm not really keen on a private company doing this and possibly storing info about it.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
OP who's to say that isn't a leo in that vehicle, Police use all sorts of vehicles to keep undercover with, also tow truck companies do this as well, especially parking atthority, some tow companies have contracts where they can tow a vehicle for specificied reasons, and they sometimes use out of the ordinary vehicles to keep solo with repo vehicles are towing people who have unpaid tickets etc.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Any non-sworn person/company using these wouldn't have the same access to certain information/databases as LEO's.

It's basically a stripped down version but still useful for companies such as the ones mentioned by ModularFan.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I miss tapatalk.

Ok so are repo companies just searching a database of tags for repo? Are they possibly keeping records for future repos?

Maybe? Today feels like a tin foil hat day for some reason lol

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I miss tapatalk.

Ok so are repo companies just searching a database of tags for repo? Are they possibly keeping records for future repos?

Maybe? Today feels like a tin foil hat day for some reason lol

Can't answer that because I've never talked to a repo company that uses them.

But, what would be the difference if they were taking pictures of cars in public and writing down tag info? It's not like they are breaking into your garage here.

ModularFan

Established Member
Can't answer that because I've never talked to a repo company that uses them.

But, what would be the difference if they were taking pictures of cars in public and writing down tag info? It's not like they are breaking into your garage here.

They don't keep a database of future repos, but If there is a hit out for a vehicle that is due for repo, it goes into a database that the tow companies have access too, so when they drive around and the tag reader recoginzes it, they can hook and go, Like I said before, some repo companies use vehicles that aren't as detectable or in better terms aren't known to the public, Undercover Ops for Police when running traffic will sometimes use a vehicle out of the ordinary to deter people, and get em in the act of speeding.

I personally know a repo company that uses tag readers. He got a certain amount of money for each tag that's read that is up for repo, and if he cant tow it, he calls another truck to do it.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Down here in Florida, plenty of repo companies use them and they also use stick on GPS trackers to find the cars..... :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Down here in Florida, plenty of repo companies use them and they also use stick on GPS trackers to find the cars..... :shrug:

Some of the "buy here/pay here" places install hidden GPS on the cars they "sell" and activate them when they missed too many payments. I think it is a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread