Tackling the c-notch the next few days

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
i'm diving into the rear suspension tomorow. doing the belltech c-notch. anyone have any tips other than take off the bed which i am not tackling..

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
i'm diving into the rear suspension tomorow. doing the belltech c-notch. anyone have any tips other than take off the bed which i am not tackling..

The bed doesn't have to come off. I've had it done twice with the bed on.

Mine were bolted in and welded in for extra strength.

Just remember measure twice, cut once.

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
i hear that... im going to do some test fitting with the leafs off the axle to see if the bed rail and crossmember need to be trimmed at all or how much..

SS THiS

03 Lightning
Established Member
The bed doesn't have to come off. I've had it done twice with the bed on.

Mine were bolted in and welded in for extra strength.

Just remember measure twice, cut once.

X2 on what LL said! I did the Belltech c-notch myself too. Have some Good bits and Good Blades if your using a jigsaw or sawsaw

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
i hear that... im going to do some test fitting with the leafs off the axle to see if the bed rail and crossmember need to be trimmed at all or how much..

On my slammed 01 I had to trim the bottom of the front of the bed for driveshaft clearance.

Not much, but it was hitting even on small bumps before it was clearanced and I didn't want to tear up that aluminum driveshaft..

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
If you have access to a plasma cutter installation will be a breeze with or without the bed.

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
i wish i had acces to a plazma cutter and a welder... this frame would be so rigid. i would love to box the rest of the frame... i borrowed a sawzaw and a corded drill from some friends. just have to pick up some 1/2 drill bits, a unibit and metal blades..

Last edited:

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
..... and .. done...
so sore though.
some pics of my progress
IMG00006-20091008-1359.gif

IMG00007-20091008-1400.gif

IMG00008-20091008-1753.gif

IMG00009-20091008-1753.gif

i also reworked my leafpacks due to i had the helper leaf out and it was causing vibration under hard acceleration( pinion angle was off a tiny bit) soi reinstalled the helpers and some 1'' shackles and now she rides smooth+ no bottoming out. i must have had an inch and a half of clearance before this..

Last edited:

Stinger2007

Established Member
Wow! looks nice.....really nice look. I kinda jumped the gun here. what's up front, you have it listed on profile?

good job......Spindles, etc?

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
new uca's, new lower ball joints,tierods,bearings,belltech spindles, w/o isos up front. out back western hangers, strange shocks w shock extenders, 1'' modified western shackles, relocated swaybar endlinks and now belltech c-notch.. took her out for a spin after all was good and snugged up and she rides like shes new..

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Looks Sweet man! Love the hood, wheels, drop, everything! I wish I could have a Lightning..hopefully soon..

04SVT-L

Established Member
i wish i had acces to a plazma cutter and a welder... this frame would be so rigid. i would love to box the rest of the frame... i borrowed a sawzaw and a corded drill from some friends. just have to pick up some 1/2 drill bits, a unibit and metal blades..

you want it welded in and frame boxed?

Users who are viewing this thread