T56 Upgrades?

mdrc347

Established Member
So, I went to the track this last Sunday, and was having a pretty good day until I went to launch on my 5th pass and pop. Car doesn't move any more in any gear in the T56. Had a cracked extension housing on initial look at track. Brought the car home and had the housing pulled this morning. Part of the output shaft came out with the driveshaft, so I obviously need a output shaft. My question is what to put back in? I'm assuming this one is stock, but can't be certain. I pulled the trans to find a 26 spline input shaft. I think the stock one is supposed to be a 10 spline? I knew previous that the car had a spec clutch and flywheel, but was surprised to see that the input had been changed. Does anyone know which input that I have? Also, how do I tell which output I have? And, which output should I put back in? This one is obviously not strong enough no matter which one it is. Any help would be appreciated.

mdrc347

Established Member
Update. I'm considering going with a gt500 trans with a 26 spline input and 28 spline output. A buddy of mine is selling his for $1500. It sounds like it will be about the same price to build mine up. Does anyone know what I would have to change to do this swap? And, would it be much stronger? The trans is out of a 2008 gt 500.

mdrc347

Established Member
Help! In need of info.

Does anyone have any info on these t56's. I decided to rebuild mine, but am not sure what parts to order. I took the trans to the local trans shop. I have a bent input shaft, broken main shaft/output shaft, and a broken shift fork. It has a 26 spine input in it, so I will just replace that. I'm also assuming that I should put in the better 30-spline output shaft. So, I have been searching for that. Apparently I will need to also change the extension housing to do this upgrade, which isn't a big deal because mine got broken when the main shaft broke.

The only remaining question that I have is the synchros. I see that many places sell what they call a stage 2 rebuild kit that apparently improves shifting at higher rpm's by using carbon fiber synchros. But, other places have told me that this trans should already have the carbon fiber synchos. Does anyone know the answer? Is there a rebuild kit that improves shifting at higher rpm's? I am very interested if there is because I have always had issues with this in this car. Any help would be appreciated.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Thegearbox.org has everything you need in there stage two kit for a very reasonable price. Although it looks like this kit is on backorder that is everything you would need, and it should shift real nice after that. here is the link: T56 6 Speed Transmission Parts & Rebuild Kits

To answer your last question, this kit should help a lot with shifting at high rpms, and also no your t56 didnt come with carbon fiber synchros it came with paper synchros.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I have a Gforce T-56 gear set in my car, built by hanlon motorsports. 26spline input, with Viper 30 spline output all bronze shift forks-pads. Rated at 1,000HP I bought it for $2,200 shipped from Corral.

Browse the forums for one already built, you're going to have high coin into one letting a shop build it piece by piece to make one truly reliable for hard luanching.

LeKiD

Established Member
Watch out thegearbox , they sell lots of aftermarket cheap stuff and you should install Tremec/OEM parts .

From factory your T56 came with carbon syncro on all gears minus the reverse is brass blocker ring. Input is 10spline. To know if its a Tremec you should find 6 or 8 digits parts number really small , the aftermarket will be shoot pen and the Tremec black oxide.

A good upgrade for you is a 30spline output and tail housing from the viper , billet shift key on 1-2-3-4 gears , billet bronze fork pads on all gears , new bearing / seals and blocker ring.

Inspect wear the gears slider .

This will not give you a 700ft tq transmission but will be much stronger than a stock T56 .

Users who are viewing this thread