T56 Ticking???

SNK-BITE

Established Member
About a month ago i developed what i thought was the head tick. The tick kind of fades and comes back every couple of seconds but is always there and increases with engine speed. Its barely and i mean barely audible from the engine compartment and most noticeable by the driver side door. Now about the same time the tick started my tob also started making noise. I have crawled under the car and listened and listened... To me it seems to me originating from the bell housing/clutch area as that is the point i hear it the loudest and clearest. I dont really hear it echoing through the LT collectors like i would expect with the head tick. Its also does not change with movement of the clutch peddle. Has anyone ever experienced a ticking issue with a t56 and/or clutch components? Sorry for the long read just like to be thorough.:beer:

testorossa1989

Established Member
Im just going to cut to the chase. Whens the last time you checked your flange gasket and exhaust manifold gaskets. Transmissions dont "Tick". It doesnt happen when you push the clutch in because its not the clutch. Your TOB sounds like a seperate issue but personally i think your getting paranoid.

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Im just going to cut to the chase. Whens the last time you checked your flange gasket and exhaust manifold gaskets. Transmissions dont "Tick"

Flange gaskets for sure arent leaking I would have pen pointed that really easy. Driverside manifold gasket IS possible but it would have to be around the back two exhaust ports as i can rule out the front by the sound clarity and strength. I am open for your rebuttal but i think its a strong statement to say the dont tick as opposed to its unlikely.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Flange gaskets for sure arent leaking I would have pen pointed that really easy. Driverside manifold gasket IS possible but it would have to be around the back two exhaust ports as i can rule out the front by the sound clarity and strength. I am open for your rebuttal but i think its a strong statement to say the dont tick as opposed to its unlikely.

The most minor leak can create that sound. A full blown gasket failure sounds like open dumps. Secondly, the fact you isolated the sound to be by your bell housing (BTW your headers are inches from there) isolated my thought that you have a minor exhaust leak. I really feel like your reading into this too much. Secondly, ive never heard of a transmission ticking. They usually whine, scream, notch, squeal, ect. If your transmission is ticking i would make a safe bet that it will fail within the next hour. Its safe to say your situation is minor. Keep in mind the most extreme problems have the most obvious sounds. You are fine buddy, if you look into each and every sound you will lose sleep. Its a ford after all.

Also, if a exhaust manifold stud has backed out. That could also cause that sound. Which is why companies have locking fasteners like Stage 8 i believe its called.
http://www.stage8.com/

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
The most minor leak can create that sound. A full blown gasket failure sounds like open dumps. Secondly, the fact you isolated the sound to be by your bell housing (BTW your headers are inches from there) isolated my thought that you have a minor exhaust leak. I really feel like your reading into this too much. Secondly, ive never heard of a transmission ticking. They usually whine, scream, notch, squeal, ect. If your transmission is ticking i would make a safe bet that it will fail within the next hour. Its safe to say your situation is minor. Keep in mind the most extreme problems have the most obvious sounds. You are fine buddy, if you look into each and every sound you will lose sleep. Its a ford after all.

Also, if a exhaust manifold stud has backed out. That could also cause that sound. Which is why companies have locking fasteners like Stage 8 i believe its called.
World's Best Locking Fasteners & Locking Nuts and Bolts STAGE 8

Lmao at that^^^. Yeah i know all to well about ford ticks and rattles(5.4 cam phasers). Your right i do lose sleep over the little noises but, I am anal like and always will be. Part of being a mechanic I guess. I dont like coincidences and tob squealing and the tick starting at the same time seemed a little to suspicious to disregard. Ill triple check the manifold bolts tomorrow and go from there.:thumbsup:

testorossa1989

Established Member
Lmao at that^^^. Yeah i know all to well about ford ticks and rattles(5.4 cam phasers). Your right i do lose sleep over the little noises but, I am anal like and always will be. Part of being a mechanic I guess. I dont like coincidences and tob squealing and the tick starting at the same time seemed a little to suspicious to disregard. Ill triple check the manifold bolts tomorrow and go from there.:thumbsup:

You would honestly be surprised how often the X factor of your problem has many variables and requires more than 1 solution. Since your a mechanic im sure you know the manifold gasket is a PITA and your better off just leaving it until it becomes loss of backpressure and performance/driveability/or you get headaches because the fumes are pouring into your cabin.

Just enjoy the car! Dont check the bolts, Just enjoy it! Knowing your luck you will bust a stud and hate your life lol Just speaking on the behalf of reality there. Good luck finding your gremlin if you choose to continue

I piched my 0.02$

SNK-BITE

Established Member
You would honestly be surprised how often the X factor of your problem has many variables and requires more than 1 solution. Since your a mechanic im sure you know the manifold gasket is a PITA and your better off just leaving it until it becomes loss of backpressure and performance/driveability/or you get headaches because the fumes are pouring into your cabin.

Just enjoy the car! Dont check the bolts, Just enjoy it! Knowing your luck you will bust a stud and hate your life lol Just speaking on the behalf of reality there. Good luck finding your gremlin if you choose to continue

I piched my 0.02$

I cant help myself:bash: I have to find the ticking noise!!! I will report back when done.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I cant help myself:bash: I have to find the ticking noise!!! I will report back when done.

OR... You can run to the store get some beers and watch the TV or play some PS3. That idea sounds better

Your persistance is admirable but its one of those things where your chasing a pipe dream

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Well I shimmied in there this afternoon and alot of the bolts had backed out some. Got a turn or more one most of them. The tick cleaned up some but is definitely still there. Gaskets looks like previous owner used the crap gaskets that came with the BBK headers so I will most likely yank those out and replace them along with locking bolts.

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Oh my...My first Ticking search and I hit the nail on my exact problem!

I started hearing a tick today that has never been heard before, with the hood open you can hear it more but very faintly from the passenger side. However from under the car is louder also by the tranny...I have stock manifolds with bassani X pipe, I will be stopping by an exhaust shop and have them check and make sure everything is bolted good...I also hope It's not a bigger issue.:confused:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Oh my...My first Ticking search and I hit the nail on my exact problem!

I started hearing a tick today that has never been heard before, with the hood open you can hear it more but very faintly from the passenger side. However from under the car is louder also by the tranny...I have stock manifolds with bassani X pipe, I will be stopping by an exhaust shop and have them check and make sure everything is bolted good...I also hope It's not a bigger issue.:confused:

Good luck and report back.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
**UPDATE**

Changed both ds/ps manifold gaskets with OEM parts and frpp locking bolts. Started the car up and BAM!!! Tick is still there. Not as loud as some of the head tick vids I have heard. Barely audible from the engine compartment but really noticeable by the drivers wheel well. Put a stethoscope on it and can hear it through the headers as well as every bolt on the drivers valve cover. So I am leaning now to either it being the head tick and its just quieter than others or a lash adjuster issue.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Drive it. I've never heard a silent 32v. You'll know when it's time to tear into the engine. Likely a guide issue or cam follower. Is it louder after you whoop the cars ass ?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Drive it. I've never heard a silent 32v. You'll know when it's time to tear into the engine. Likely a guide issue or cam follower. Is it louder after you whoop the cars ass ?

It does seems to get a hair louder when driven hard then it quietens back down.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Your OCD is going to cost you thousands. Just saying

LOL, I was curious when you would find your way back into here. I posted an update just for you.:D

You are right though, I have paid for my OCD with every mustang I have ever had. You called it before I even tore into the manifolds about snapping a bolt off. Gave the dipstick tube bolt one turn and it snapped right off. Fairly easy extraction though so no big deal there. The crap bbk gaskets needed to come out anyways. My only gripes with this car are a decel vibration above 80, and the little annoying tick. I have to knock out at least one of them so I can start sleeping at night again lol.

Users who are viewing this thread