T56 Magnum Shifter Removal

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Has anyone ever found a way of removing the back 2 bolts with the transmission in the car still? I'll cut out a notch if I have to so I can access those 2 back bolts.

The "X's" being where the 2 bolts are that is...

0_IMG_0102.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
someone on here claimed you could drop the trans cross member and it would rotate down with the motor and give you room. That would not work with my deep oil pan and Steeda kmember

03' White Snake

Established Member
Ratcheting wrench with 1/8 deg turns. Takes forever but can be done. I lowered the rear trans mount completely and was just enough room to get it out.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm getting a weird vibration in 4th gear only, when I accel it goes away. Steve from Tremec said look at the 2 nylon bushings in there first. He said I may have broke one from shifting hard.

MG0h3

Established Member
Drop the x pipe.

Drop crossmember out

You should replace that shifter while it’s out.

There is a gasket underneath that is very prone to failing. Replaced mine twice and on the third failure, I discovered people were making aftermarket ones.

I’m running the Hanlon motorsports in mine and I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
I'm getting a weird vibration in 4th gear only, when I accel it goes away. Steve from Tremec said look at the 2 nylon bushings in there first. He said I may have broke one from shifting hard.

I’m not a trans or tranny guy, but there’s something specific to 4th gear when it comes to which shaft is turning. I think only the main on not the counter shaft is spinning or something.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Drop the x pipe.

Drop crossmember out

You should replace that shifter while it’s out.

There is a gasket underneath that is very prone to failing. Replaced mine twice and on the third failure, I discovered people were making aftermarket ones.

I’m running the Hanlon motorsports in mine and I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Ok good call thank you, I assumed it was just RTV'd. Did you have to call Hanlon direct to get that gasket? I don't see it on their site

03' White Snake

Established Member
Ok good call thank you, I assumed it was just RTV'd. Did you have to call Hanlon direct to get that gasket? I don't see it on their site

The stock seal sucks. I swapped to a Tick shifter after 2 failures myself. I had less than 3k miles and went through 2 seals. I also added a bronze bushing with the new shifter. Much better. Springs are crazy strong too.

40A9015E-A3A3-4F52-906A-44D877FF9A6F.jpeg

5255C106-22F3-4F3B-BEB0-7E3D3635040F.jpeg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

03' White Snake

Established Member
Huh, haven’t had issues, but that is never a reason to not upgrade. Might have to check this out.
Well when you smell trans fluid in the cabin or burning on the exhaust you will know it’s bad. When the seal goes bad, trans fluid works it’s way up the shifter base and soaks the carpet insulation, then drips on the exhaust. The seal is too tight on the internal linkage on the bottom of the shifter. Metal on rubber and eventually the seal tears. See my pictures above. Some claim tremec tears them from install, but I lubed the crap out of mine with grease and it still tore after 1k miles or so. So it’s a bad design, not from installation.

Take your shifter out and move it while looking at the seal. You will see the metal from the shifter pressing on the seal. That’s the reason they fail.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well I took some tin snips and pneumatic cutoff wheel and went to town. I'll clean this up one day but for now it works. I removed the cross member and it barely dropped the tranny at all so I went this route.
0_IMG_0109.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If mine leaks again I may do the same and will definitely replace the shifter

@03' White Snake how do you like that bushing? They basically tried to steer me away from it with NVH complaints. In hindsight I can’t hear shit over the BRRV and exhaust anyway

03venomdsg

Established Member
The stock seal sucks. I swapped to a Tick shifter after 2 failures myself. I had less than 3k miles and went through 2 seals. I also added a bronze bushing with the new shifter. Much better. Springs are crazy strong too.

View attachment 1799072
I've been eyeing the tick piece myself. Do you feel that the throw is any shorter? Not that it needs to be just curious.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Definitely interested. Bought a TKOM when it first got released and there werent options as far as shifter and just made due. Talked to MGW but, don't quote me, issues on geometry. They weren't inclined to make one.

MG0h3

Established Member

The base plate to trans case is just RTV.

Someone else posted the seal that fails.

My buddy was T56 swapping his Foxbody and removed his shifter for the install.

Told him to check the seal and sure enough, split in half.

Brand new out of the box trans.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
I've been eyeing the tick piece myself. Do you feel that the throw is any shorter? Not that it needs to be just curious.

I may get that Tick shifter, you like it??

The Tick is a nice piece. The gears are very close together compared to the stock shifter. My tuner owns a cobra, he was feeling the shifter and commented on the firmness of it.

The springs are crazy strong when new, takes a while for them to break in. My fore arm was actually getting tired driving the car in the beginning because of the springs.

I’d highly recommend the shifter and the bronze bushing. If the bushing added any noise I cannot tell. Bushing probably also contributes to the firmer feel over the plastic bushing.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well I removed the shifter and that nylon bushing was completely fine. Anyone else have any ideas on why it could be vibrating back and forth in 4th gear ONLY? It goes away on acceleration and decel. Like the actual shifter will vibrate back and forth. The car feels completely fine, I can floor it and feels great.

Just another thought, the transmission is at a 1:1 ratio in 4th so maybe it could be something completely different?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread