T56 magnum oil choices and tob sleeve

mikevec87

Established Member
Hey guys I just purchased a new t56 magnum and was told to run royal purple syncomax but I heard alota guys suggest Amsoil signature series synthetic atf .

Also my t56 was plagued with noisy throwout bearings would the lethal performance throw out bearing sleeve be worth putting on the magnum or should I be less likely to have the noise because The magnum is still brand new.

Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I got my Magnum trans used and it shifted great.

When I swapped it around I put Royal Purple in it (i think it was their ATF after Tremec said Mobil1 and Amsoil ATF were approved, not the synchromesh) and it shifted like absolute garbage. Drained it, filled with Amsoil and it was 90% better. Drained and refilled again when replacing the tailshift seal and its back to shifting great again.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Dex 3 only no syncomax or synthetic. I used Valvoline dex 3 atf. Used In 2 cars now. 1 F-body magnum with over 800+hp and 1 in my cobra. No problems at all.

I saved the ams oil for the motor and rear end.

olympic

Established Member
I'm in the process of installing a Magnum as well. I plan to use regular Dex 3 for a 500 mile break-in and then Amsoil after that. Just be sure to use their "Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF" and not the newer "Fuel Efficient ATF".

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Really a noticeable difference in shifts with the Ams?. Huh might have to look into that. Running the sig 3000 diesel and filter in my car now. So what's another 100$ lol

mikevec87

Established Member
Sounds like the Amsoil synthetic multi vehicle ATF takes the win !

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SlowSVT

Established Member
The Magnum suffers from the same hardware that plagued the T-56 like nylon thrust pads on the forks, plastic bushings, aluminum 5th and 6th forks and standard syncros all which can be upgraded. All that stuff is intended to improve the shifting action even further. It's a $600 upgrade when ordering the Magnum.

It's interesting peoples experience in improved shifting action just by changing the gear oil brands.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I've used RP, Amsoil, and did the so called anti-venom mod, in the last 2 years, my T56 still grinds especially when cold. No oil swap fix here :mad: Going back to factory recommended DEX III.

The T45 on my wifes GT hasn't been changed in 3 years and shifts like butter.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I've used RP, Amsoil, and did the so called anti-venom mod, in the last 2 years, my T56 still grinds especially when cold. No oil swap fix here :mad: Going back to factory recommended DEX III.....

I switched to Mobil 1 on my T56 Magnum XL, and no difference. Mine grinds a little when cold. I drive it real easy for first few miles. Once it warms up, its perfect. I'm almost wondering if it might be the twin-disc clutch causing the cold grind?????

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I don't know some people on here swear by the twin disc.
I just know for a fact that none of the miracle oils fixed the notchy-ness of my tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread