T56 availability

hemdog

Established Member
My pilot bearing went out and the input shaft bounced around causing it and the countershaft to meet at a bad time. The result is not pretty. I priced out new parts for a rebuild, but it isn't really cost effective. I've been searching for a new stock unit and I'll upgrade the input shaft to 26 spline. All I can find though is a T56 Magnum. Are there any reputable places that sell remans?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Finding a new one will be next to impossible, but you might find a re-manufactured one if you hunt tirelessly and have time to do so. Re-building the one you have might end up being your best option if you want to stick with the T-56.

hemdog

Established Member
Ok, thanks Bob. Probably a better idea to just go with a Magnum since the part prices I was looking at are close to one anyways. I was also assuming new synchros too since there was metal everywhere.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think that's the way a lot of people are going to go. By the time you price out the good parts for a T-56 you're close to a Magnum. At least that's how it was when I was looking to upgrade my old T-56.

Quick Strike

Established Member
You could ask a remanufacturer for a quote and compare it to the cost of a Magnum. I sent mine to Liberty Transmission in MI for a rebuild. D&D is another reputable rebuilder. I had all the good parts included and a new 26 spline input and used cluster set installed. It was reasonable at the time, but there was no Magnum then.

hemdog

Established Member
After weighing all the options, I wound going with a Magnum and driveshaft from D&D. Don was great to deal with and I should have the parts this week. Looking forward to the new trans!

Users who are viewing this thread