t45 transmission

retiredguy

Established Member
I've read the 1996 svt may have issues with the third and fourth gear fork breaking
Has anyone had the issues? If the car is driven on a normal basis, i.e no speed shifting, no read line, etc. would the issues display itself? Thanks, Tom

Tillerman77

Established Member
Not an expert on this topic, but I think the third gear shift fork can also bend under hard shifts. Either bend or break, in other words.
That said, if you are a casual shifter and don't currently notice any issues, you should be fine.
In my case with a 97, I couldn't stand the vagueness of the 2-3 upshift if I was being aggressive. I wound up installing an MGW shifter with the long (comfort) handle and am very pleased with the improvement.
BTW - also a retired guy.

retiredguy

Established Member
Not an expert on this topic, but I think the third gear shift fork can also bend under hard shifts. Either bend or break, in other words.
That said, if you are a casual shifter and don't currently notice any issues, you should be fine.
In my case with a 97, I couldn't stand the vagueness of the 2-3 upshift if I was being aggressive. I wound up installing an MGW shifter with the long (comfort) handle and am very pleased with the improvement.
BTW - also a retired guy.
I am happy to here that! as I was considering liquidating as I no longer want to here on cars. In my golden years, I prefer just to wash and drive.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I hear you on that. I still do "light" work on my car and other machines, but will farm out the heavy work. Too many arthritic joints for too many years!
I still like driving though and get out a couple of times per week for pure enjoyment. I sometimes will wash it, but I drive it more.

shelbycobra

Established Member
my 96 cobra has 160,000 miles on my t-45 and works great an i shifted hard thru the years

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
T45 is a fine transmission with normal bolt ons. Its when you add a blower is when things go bad. They dont like alot of tq.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I broke my t45 many moons ago when I was pretty much stock. Had no 2nd gear.

With that said, I had it fixed and beefed up a little. Put about 30k on it since then. About 2500 miles with the turbo setup though. I plan on an t45 from Promotion when I DO break it again.

retiredguy

Established Member

With that said, I had it fixed and beefed up a little. Put about 30k on it since then. About 2500 miles with the turbo setup though. I plan on an t45 from Promotion when I DO break it again.
Thanks. Not familiar with "Promotion". Sounds like an alternative should things go south!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Installed a Pro 5.0 shifter on my t45 10 years ago and the trans is still going strong after 80k miles. It's had a Vortech on it almost as long to. I don't beat the car hard but it's never let me down when I needed it to perform.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As everyone has said, you'll be just fine with your T-45 with your existing mods. You're not going to racing or banging gears and you're not making big torque with an aftermarket blower. Enjoy your Cobra.....in your Golden Years. LOL. I know all about those Golden Years.

retiredguy

Established Member
As everyone has said, you'll be just fine with your T-45 with your existing mods. You're not going to racing or banging gears and you're not making big torque with an aftermarket blower. Enjoy your Cobra.....in your Golden Years. LOL. I know all about those Golden Years.
Always nice to hear positive comments! regard, Tom

coltoncaskey12

Established Member

They’re still in business? Tried accessing their website a few months back and it gave me “error 404”

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Calimer Transmissions is also in PA and can rebuild if necessary.
The new Tremec TKX is a nice aftermarket replacement for the stock T-45 odd needed also.
-J

shurur

Established Member
That's part of what buying a shifter is for, so you can adjust the stops and not wreck the forks.

Depending on what the price to rebuild is, there is a new TKX transmission that is out now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread