T45 help!!

jj98cobra

Established Member
I'm buying a newer t45, but it's from a cobra with a digital odometer. My car is a 98, is there anything I can do to keep the odometer working?

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
The digital odometers started in 99, that should be a tr-3650 not a t45 but as long as your speedo works your odometer will

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
The digital odometers started in 99, that should be a tr-3650 not a t45 but as long as your speedo works your odometer will

wrong. 99-mid 01 still had t45s, with the hall effect type speedo. To get it to work, I believe speedcal makes a box that will convert the new style to function with the old speedo (used in t56 swaps all the time) Or you could pull the tail shaft housing and replace the pickup wheel with the gear off the tailshaft of your old trans, then re-use all old components

Senator

Dude....Seriously?
Established Member
If you know for sure it is an electronic speedo in the news trans, you will need a speedcal box. I bought mine from Dallas Mustangs, but I'm sure there are other vendors.

I used this for my T56 swap.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
wrong. 99-mid 01 still had t45s, with the hall effect type speedo. To get it to work, I believe speedcal makes a box that will convert the new style to function with the old speedo (used in t56 swaps all the time) Or you could pull the tail shaft housing and replace the pickup wheel with the gear off the tailshaft of your old trans, then re-use all old components
Almost perfect. Just one small correction. Both the old style VSS and the new style OSS use a reluctor style sensor, not a Hall effect sensor. Hall effect sensors have three wires, one for power, one for ground and one for signal. Hall effect sensors put out a digital square wave with a frequency that increases with speed. Reluctor sensors just have two wires. They put out an AC signal that increases in both frequency and amplitude with speed.

The reluctor wheel in the older VSS sensor has 4 lobes, and is geared down by the speedometer gears. The reluctor wheel on the tailshaft of the newer transmissions with OSS sensors has 12 lobes. The differences in lobe count and gearing causes the newer OSS signal to be on the order of magnitude of 4 times the frequency of the older style VSS. That's why the Speedcal or FRPP recalibrator is needed if you don't swap the reluctor tailshaft for the geared tailshaft.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
Almost perfect. Just one small correction. Both the old style VSS and the new style OSS use a reluctor style sensor, not a Hall effect sensor. Hall effect sensors have three wires, one for power, one for ground and one for signal. Hall effect sensors put out a digital square wave with a frequency that increases with speed. Reluctor sensors just have two wires. They put out an AC signal that increases in both frequency and amplitude with speed.

The reluctor wheel in the older VSS sensor has 4 lobes, and is geared down by the speedometer gears. The reluctor wheel on the tailshaft of the newer transmissions with OSS sensors has 12 lobes. The differences in lobe count and gearing causes the newer OSS signal to be on the order of magnitude of 4 times the frequency of the older style VSS. That's why the Speedcal or FRPP recalibrator is needed if you don't swap the reluctor tailshaft for the geared tailshaft.

You know I originally thought it was a reluctor style, but for some reason hall effect sounded better. Close enough :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread