T-STAT QUESTION

WC9550

Established Member
Ok guys looking for some tech help and hoping this is the correct forum. Anyways, I pulled my car (03’ cobra) out of the garage last week to get into my attic. I was letting it idle in the driveway while I was in the garage. It was running for about 10-15 minutes. I heard the fans running which I thought was strange (it was about 35 degrees outside). So I went outside and saw a big puddle of coolant under it. I checked the gauge and it was about 3/4. I shit the car off right away and let it cool down fully. The coolant seemed to come out the expansion tank (the OEM black tank on the right when standing in front of the car looking at the engine). I guess my question is, would the T-stat be the cause of the coolant explosion? I never had an issue with the car before. Thanks for all the help guys.

P.S.- Mods if this is the wrong section for this thread, please move it. Thanks again

Last edited:

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
If you hadn’t done any work to it before you put it away the thermostat would be the first thing I’d change. If you did anything to the cooling system, then I’d figure it’s air bound and go through the refill and burp routine.

BMSTNG

Established Member
Try changing out the cap on the expansion tank. Could be cheap quick fix.

WC9550

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I haven’t done anything to the car prior to putting it away for the year. I’ll order a new T-stat ASAP for it. Any recommendations on stat to get for it? Thanks again guys

WC9550

Established Member
Hotcobra: you mentioned needing to reset fan settings, is there a way to do that without buying a hand held programmer?

Also another general question, since I drained the coolant (most of it anyways) it seems to me that it had gold coolant in it. Is there a suitable coolant I can get from autozone, advance auto etc.? Thanks again guys

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hotcobra: you mentioned needing to reset fan settings, is there a way to do that without buying a hand held programmer?

Also another general question, since I drained the coolant (most of it anyways) it seems to me that it had gold coolant in it. Is there a suitable coolant I can get from autozone, advance auto etc.? Thanks again guys

Unfortunately there isn't. Unless you put in a manual switch.

The parts stores should have a compatible coolant. I've seen it, but I can't remember the brand.

WC9550

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to get a 180* stat instead so I wouldn’t need a programmer for the fans. I installed the stat and filled it with coolant (using reservoir and cross over pipe). I let it warm up for 25+ minutes and the heat seems to work real well and the level in the tank seems about right ~2.5 inches in the tank. These things kinda suck to burp lol. I decided to go 180* instead since I’m going to sell the car. Thanks for all the info guys

Users who are viewing this thread