T-Stat died need help!!

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
at what temp do you have to worry about scorching the heads? my t-stat went out on me during my drive home tonight. i already have a new 180 to put in with gasket luckily. after reading some threads on here i am worried i may have hurt my heads. i also need good instructions on how to flush the coolant system. this will be my first time ever and i don't want to mess it up. is there anything to put in it while your flushing that will help clean the gunk i can see in my coolant resivoir out? how do i burp the system? i have seen some instructions on here but i'm not sure what the crossover is. thanks in advance for any help i can get.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
What gunk in the reservoir?

Here is a little tip. You need to keep a couple tools on you at all times.

First tool would be a 1/4 ratchet and full set of sockets for it (For coolant issues), 1/2" ratchet for belt change outs, a funnel, and two bottles of antifreeze.

I have raced and built many cars in my day. The Terminator is by far the most fun and the most prone to breaking random stuff.

I found the best way to fill the system in the terminator is to never even touch the reservoir cap. Take the service plug (To the right side of the Eaton if you're looking at it) off while its cold and off. Fill it up with a funnel until it's at the very top. Then put the plug back on and tighten it hand tight. Turn the engine on and wait for it to reach operating temperature. Take the plug back off and fill it up again(while car is running) until it comes out that hole.

Should be good after that. :beer:

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
every time the temp got to 245-250 i pulled over and let it cool down. i wish i could say i stopped with the temp lower but thats as low as i could get it to stay and still be able to drive more than 20 feet. the last block of driving it got to 270 almost instantly because i had to downshift to go up a hill. everything seems fine in the engine bay there aren't and oil leeaks coming from the heads or gaskets so i think i am okay. the aluminum loses heat pretty damn fast. i think because i didn't push it hard and with the frequent cool down stops she is still in good shape.

the gunk in the resivoir is just that. there is a little bit of like green/orange slugish crap built up around the resivoir sides. i was meaning to get this done thats why i already had a new t-stat but i guess i will do it sooner. thanks again

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Don`t drive it till you fix it!!!I had a little of that build-up also.There`s plenty of threads on ''burping the system'' on here.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
You are probably just fine at those temps.

I would probably get a leakdown test done for giggles though.

That "gunk" is completely normal. You can clean it out but it will be back in a couple weeks.

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. I found the t-stat location last night while I was checking for leaks under the car. This is the first one I have ever seen under the car but it is also my first S/C engine too. Servicing at the crossover seems like a pretty good idea I'll give that a try. In an hour or so I will start the work if I have anymore troubles I'll let you guys know. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread