t-56 questions

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
I tried using search but keeps locking up, and I need an answer asap as I'm looking to buy this before its sold to someone else. Guy is selling the t-56 tranny, bellhousing, and crossmember. What else do I need to complete the swap? I also have an '03 gt rearend. Will I be able to use my old driveshaft? Also, he asked me if I need the 10 spline or 26 spline input? I have no idea? Motor is an '01. Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The stock clutch uses a 10 spline input shaft. However the 26 spline is much stronger. Something to consider if you ever plan on adding lots of power. You'll have to get your current driveshaft shortened.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
not looking at lots of power in the near future, so I assume I can get an upgraded clutch for my '01 until I go FI. How much does my current driveshaft need to be shortened?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
yeah your driveshaft will be several inches too long...depending on your current trans, you may have to extend the wires for the reverse light switch since the t45 has it on the d/s and the t56 has it on the p/s...and then you have to decide whether or not you're going to wire up the solenoid for reverse lockout, or just muscle through it every time to put it in reverse...and you'll need a t56 shifter as well...your stock clutch fork and throwout bearing will transfer over...and don't forget to get some fluid beforehand...

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
if you don't plan on making "lots of power" I'd save your money and keep what you got.

It's going to make decent. My motor is currently getting built. Bored out .20 over. New pistons, rods, cranks, bearings, etc. The whole 9 yards. I'm going to be going FI sometime, but not within a year or so.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
yeah your driveshaft will be several inches too long...depending on your current trans, you may have to extend the wires for the reverse light switch since the t45 has it on the d/s and the t56 has it on the p/s...and then you have to decide whether or not you're going to wire up the solenoid for reverse lockout, or just muscle through it every time to put it in reverse...and you'll need a t56 shifter as well...your stock clutch fork and throwout bearing will transfer over...and don't forget to get some fluid beforehand...

Thanks for the help! Not too sure what ya mean on the reverse lockout solenoid. Whats the difference, whats it do? sorry, for the dumb question.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's a solenoid in the tranny so you don't accidentally shift into reverse when going for 5th. If you don't wire it up getting into reverse can be a pain. A buddy of mine had to use two hands to get his into gear. He ended up wiring it into the brake light switch. I think Quad uses a toggle switch.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
There's a solenoid in the tranny so you don't accidentally shift into reverse when going for 5th. If you don't wire it up getting into reverse can be a pain. A buddy of mine had to use two hands to get his into gear. He ended up wiring it into the brake light switch. I think Quad uses a toggle switch.

ok understood. Any one have any write ups on the wiring for it? Any links to point me to?

matt888

Established Member
ok understood. Any one have any write ups on the wiring for it? Any links to point me to?

I use a "momentary" switch that is mounted under my dash for my T-56 in the 96. The brake light will work, BUT in the unlikely event you're braking for whatever reason and moving the shifter around, you will go into reverse because the solenoid is activated.

Just something to consider. In any event, you need to power that solenoid with standard 12V to make it easy to enter reverse.

Good Luck!

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Just leave the solenoid alone. Its not nearly as tough as people make it out to be. I never wired mine up and its not difficult. It does take 2 hands though.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the guy who bought my previous 01 put a t56 in it, didn't wire up the solenoid...i've driven it a couple times, had no prob getting it into reverse w/ one hand...

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
All I done to mine was the T-56, 03-04 Aluminum Driveshaft and an 03-04 Pinion Flange.
You can use the stock shifter even though it will be like rowing a damn boat.
You can use the stock clutch.
You can use the stock Crossmember.
You can unravel the back up light harness and it will fit fine.
I didn't have the knowledge of the rev selonoid lockout so I just blocked it off, I have ground rev a couple times but not in months you will get used to it if you choose to do without.
I have always been able to shift into rev with no probs at all.
BTW you will need some Gears eventually as the T-56 has a rediculous low gear ratio up to 3rd. I can run 2nd up to 70 ish and 3rd to about 110 or so. All this is with the stock 3.27's. Cruising at bout 70 in 6th at around 1,700 RPM's is good on gas though ;)

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Actually I think when my gears were the 3.27 near 60mph was attainable with 1st gear. 2nd 3rd and 4th are close ratio.

It's really not a big deal to do the T-56 swap. Have the right parts and a lift and you'll be on the road in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread