T-56 Magnum swap

1997Cobra

Established Member
Hey all, this is going to be my introduction/first contribution to this forum. I've been trolling here for quite some time, and bought my first Cobra in December:banana:. It's a black 1997 with a tan interior with only 30k on it. The T-45 wasn't in the best shape when I got it (ground going into second occasionally at low rpms, and always at high rpms:bs:) and now second gear is not useable :bash:. Other then that, it's pretty much mint.
2011-12-07_14-21-31_6.jpg

2011-12-07_13-45-30_386.jpg

2011-12-07_14-22-14_344.jpg

p.s. sorry for the cell phone pics, that was the day I bought it.

OK, on to the trans swap. I ordered my T-56 Magnum from american powertrain. The reason I chose them over other companies was pretty much their warranty(2 years after install), and they have a competitive price. Here is what I have on order so far.

• T-56 Magnum trans (11010CR)
  • Quicktime steel bellhousing
  • Steel driveshaft
  • Speedo cable
  • Shifter
  • Reverse lockout harness
  • Trans Mount (they say I do not need a new crossmember?)

I think that all I'm going to need to complete the job is a clutch, which i still have not decided on. I'm leaning towards a Centerforce twin disk setup (unless you guys sway me towards something else). Also, is it worth it to go with an aluminum flywheel? If so, which company do you recommend? I'll try to get a bunch of pics during and after the install, as well as get a complete list of things needed and snags that I run into along the way.

Here is some good reading on the T-56 Magnum.

How the TREMEC® T-56 MAGNUM 6-Speed is improved.

Terminator Tremec's T-56 New Six-Speed Transmission Upgradel

And some comparison pics. (all of these are stolen from "5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords")

m5lp_0909_04_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

m5lp_0909_05_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

m5lp_0909_06_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

m5lp_0909_08_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

m5lp_0909_09_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

m5lp_0909_13_z+terminator_tremecs_t56_six_speed+front_view.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Right on man. I'd do a Mcload RXT with matching AL flywheel or a Fidenza flywheel. Also just a FYI the Magnums aren't a "bolt in" unit. You're going to have to use a BFH to bang out the tunnel a little bit. You won't need new crossmembers, but iirc you do have to modify them slightly. I don't quite remember though. Also fill it up with AMSOIL ATF shit is awesome. Other then that enjoy the transmission, it's the best shifting tranny I've ever owned or used.

1997Cobra

Established Member
Right on man. I'd do a Mcload RXT with matching AL flywheel or a Fidenza flywheel.
So I should go with:
Also just a FYI the Magnums aren't a "bolt in" unit. You're going to have to use a BFH to bang out the tunnel a little bit.

Really:dw:? I've never heard of this. How much does the tunnel have to be modified?

You won't need new crossmembers, but iirc you do have to modify them slightly. I don't quite remember though.

I had suspicion of this, and I was thinking of getting the AJE crossmember.

Helomech74

Established Member
I didn't have to modify anything in the tunnel to mount it or any other T56 for that matter. The crossmember will need to be unbolted and moved and 2 new holes drilled into the frame rail to bolt them back in, very easy to do. You'll see what needs to be done once you get to that point. I wouldn't bother with a twin disk unless you're making some power. Most people have the tendency to over clutch a car for no reason. Personally I wouldn't use an aluminum flywheel unless you're using a twin disk. I'm a personal fan of the Ram Billet steel flywheels. billet steel FW's are more forgiving if you decided to use a single disk aggressive clutch.

What speedo cable are they sending you? Shouldn't need anything related to the speedo. I didn't bother with the reverse lockout either, I just took the solenoid apart and cut a few coils off the spring to make it easier to actuate, but still stiff enough to avoid accidentally shifting into reverse when you don't want to.

Make sure you verify the index of the bellhousing to the block before bolting the transmission to it. Some folks will tell you it's not needed with a QT bellhousing, but both of the ones I've used required offset dowel pins since they were out by .030.

They really are excellent transmissions compared to the T45, good choice.

1997Cobra

Established Member
I didn't have to modify anything in the tunnel to mount it or any other T56 for that matter.

This was my understanding. I guess I will figure it out if any modification needs to happen

The crossmember will need to be unbolted and moved and 2 new holes drilled into the frame rail to bolt them back in, very easy to do. You'll see what needs to be done once you get to that point.

I would like to avoid drilling into the frame. Not that I'm afraid of doing it or incapable, I would just rather have a tubular crossmember. I have plans on switching over to the AJE crossmember anyways, so drilling the extra holes really isn't worth it for me. Again, I will figure it out when it starts going in.

I wouldn't bother with a twin disk unless you're making some power. Most people have the tendency to over clutch a car for no reason. Personally I wouldn't use an aluminum flywheel unless you're using a twin disk. I'm a personal fan of the Ram Billet steel flywheels. billet steel FW's are more forgiving if you decided to use a single disk aggressive clutch.

I plan on making at least 600 hp by this time next year, so I figured I would get a good clutch in there while I have the chance. Is it a bad idea to do it this way?

What speedo cable are they sending you? Shouldn't need anything related to the speedo.

I have no idea, they said they were sending one though?:shrug:

I didn't bother with the reverse lockout either, I just took the solenoid apart and cut a few coils off the spring to make it easier to actuate, but still stiff enough to avoid accidentally shifting into reverse when you don't want to.

I figured I could do something like that, but the harness is part of the swap kit so I plan on using it. Also, I kind of want it to function as it does in the 03/04 Cobras.

Make sure you verify the index of the bellhousing to the block before bolting the transmission to it. Some folks will tell you it's not needed with a QT bellhousing, but both of the ones I've used required offset dowel pins since they were out by .030.

How do I go about doing this? Looks like I have some google research to do:??:

They really are excellent transmissions compared to the T45, good choice.

Thanks, I really cant wait to get it in there. Having 2nd gear will be awesome :beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
well I'm just telling you what I had to do to my 98 to get it to fit.. I had to bang the tunnel a bit. Not much but a little bit to get it to fit. I would use an AL flywheel less rotation mass the better. I wiring the reverse solonoid to the brake pedal so I don't have to ever worry about going into reverse. Just a thought.

stangbanger856

Established Member
I have the 03-04 cobra spec T56 in mine. I use a fidanze aluminum flywheel and ZOOM twin disk clutch. The pedal effort is next to nothing and allmost as easy as a stock unit. I'm making 445WHP with my Vortech and it holds it just fine.

1997Cobra

Established Member
well I'm just telling you what I had to do to my 98 to get it to fit.. I had to bang the tunnel a bit. Not much but a little bit to get it to fit.

As long as it isn't a huge amount it should be fine :rockon:

I wiring the reverse solonoid to the brake pedal so I don't have to ever worry about going into reverse. Just a thought.

That's where they will probably have me wire it, it seems like a pretty good idea.

I have the 03-04 cobra spec T56 in mine. I use a fidanze aluminum flywheel and ZOOM twin disk clutch. The pedal effort is next to nothing and allmost as easy as a stock unit. I'm making 445WHP with my Vortech and it holds it just fine.

This kit seems like a pretty good deal to me. Is there any reason to not go with centerforce. My dad had one on his chevelle and he liked it, but that was 15 years ago. Has their quality gone down?

stangbanger856

Established Member
Nothing wrong with CF as far as I know. I had the dual friction clutch on my old cobra. I was just giving you different options.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Nothing wrong with CF as far as I know. I had the dual friction clutch on my old cobra. I was just giving you different options.

chrisconsin

Established Member
Good loolking car!

Looks like were both in the same boat because I just ordered a new tko transmission for mine.
I too am still deciding what clutch I want. post up what one you choose!

The race is on! first one to install wins
shiner.gif

1997Cobra

Established Member

Right on, that's probably what I'll go for then. The kit I posted earlier has an 11in clutch though. Will an 11in clutch work on my car as long as I get the correct flywheel?

Good loolking car!

Thanks!

Looks like were both in the same boat because I just ordered a new tko transmission for mine.
I too am still deciding what clutch I want. post up what one you choose!

I'll probably be going with this kit as long as I can use an 11in clutch.

The race is on! first one to install wins

It's on! :beer:I'm gonna lose

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Did anyone get there T56 magnum installed. I want to confirm if the tunnel needs to be hammered or not.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Did anyone get there T56 magnum installed. I want to confirm if the tunnel needs to be hammered or not.

Yes there are people running it. I personally had to bang my tunnel a little bit but nothing crazy! Just buy it and see if you have to or not.. If you do, then clearance it, if you don't then bolt it in.

1997Cobra

Established Member

Yes there are people running it. I personally had to bang my tunnel a little bit but nothing crazy! Just buy it and see if you have to or not.. If you do, then clearance it, if you don't then bolt it in.

Exactly. Since my last post, I've read about 3 or 4 other people having to make room and about the same amount of people that didn't have to. It's just one of those things that you can't tell until its in there.

As far as an update goes from me, I have not received my transmission yet. Apparently Tremec is waaaay behind on these things, but I am near the top of the list now so I should be getting it relatively soon. I have not purchased a clutch or anything else for that matter, figured I'd wait until the trans has shipped.

cjuni

Established Member
not sure how much diffenet the TKO is to the 03-04 T-56 but I didnt have to do any hammering to anything.

cjuni

Established Member
Has anyone used the "Reverse lockout harness" cuz i just changed the spring and it was a $3 & 5 min fix??

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am just finishing up a circuit that reads the VSS sensor and drives the Reverse Lockout solenoid when the car is stopped and turns it off when the car is moving.

I have had people with Speedcal's test it for me and it works great for them. I have had one person test it in a car without a Speedcal in it, and it works fine, too, but I need one more person without a Speedcal to test it for me.

If anyone is willing to install it and test it for me in a car without a Speedcal, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member

So its a hit or miss 50/50. I'm ready to purchase mine this spring/summer. I had issues last year and couldn't do it.

Exactly. Since my last post, I've read about 3 or 4 other people having to make room and about the same amount of people that didn't have to. It's just one of those things that you can't tell until its in there.

As far as an update goes from me, I have not received my transmission yet. Apparently Tremec is waaaay behind on these things, but I am near the top of the list now so I should be getting it relatively soon. I have not purchased a clutch or anything else for that matter, figured I'd wait until the trans has shipped.

That sucks that it didn't get shipped out yet! Geez!

Users who are viewing this thread