T-56 in an SN95

Alvey

Established Member
I'm in the process of saving for essentially a terminator build on my 98 cobra. Along with the build, I'd like to throw in a T-56. Will any modifications to the tunnel have to be made or should a T-56 fit alright?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It fits in the transmission tunnel just fine without any modifications. There are additional items that are needed for the swap though, (driveshaft, pinion flange or conversion u-joint and new transmission cossmember or modify your existing) so research it thoroughly.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Just like Tabres said the t56 will fit the tunnel just fine. I have read some having to massage it out a bit but I didn't have to with my t56 magnum. You should be able to move your trans crossmember brackets forward one hole and drill new forward bolt holes and then re-use the crossmember. That assumes you don't have subframe connectors that prevent you from moving it. In addition you'll have to plan for the reverse lockout, either modify the solenoid spring or get a module to operate the solenoid with the car is stopped. Could also put in just a switch or just muscle the trans into reverse every time.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
im not sure if theres any difference in the trans tunnel from 98 to 03 but all we had to do on my 03 was use a bolt with a low profile head on the pass side front corner of the shifter and that was enough to clear it

fastferndog

Established Member
The swap in my 94 needed a custom driveshaft to fit the differential pinion and to shorten it up from the stock length. I bought the stifflers crossmember and fit PERFECT!. The stock T5 Trans mount fit perfect, but it pushed the transmission too high. So I bought an energy suspension one and modified it to fit. The clutch cable worked fine. I did have a new flywheel and a clutch but make sure it's the correct spline. I did have to make a new exhaust to clear, for some reason I wasn't able to use mine. The speedo still does not work, but I will have to get the Dallas Speed Cal to fix that.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
sounds like there is some conflicting info whether the trans tunnel needs to be modified. that link says that it has to be hammered out. maybe it is just to be able to get to that top "bitch" bolt with an extension

nomoretickets

Established Member
Re: hammering the tunnel, it sounds like it just varies. Though most people who have done the swap seem to be able to pull it off without banging on the tunnel.

fastferndog

Established Member
I agree with nomoretickets...it could be a variance but in my 94...it just dropped right in without any issues and plenty of clearance. Only issue I had was the Trans mount

Whit Clark

Established Member
I think the hammering part comes in with the reverse lock out. A buddy was telling me something about if it's a factory t56 out of an 03 04 than the lock out won't work because of the clearance issue and you either have to buy a 120 modified part or beat it out. I could be wrong in this but that's the way I understood it. But everything is just a swap over and into. Just remember t56 is not a 10 spline input shafts transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread