T-45 take a dump....

CJK440

Established Member
Its not, especially if you don't have long tube headers. The starter can be a PITA though.

Pull it yourself. Get a Haynes manual to help you along.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Bob just did my t45 about a week ago and it feels great so far. He really knows his stuff and when people says this is all hes does they are not kidding. His garage is absolutely packed with t45, t56, and tko. I'd say he had about 25 or transmission there to get redone.

I dropped my trans off to him and he took the time to explain to me what goes wrong with these things and what he does to make them all better. Also made a great clutch suggestion that i am very happy with. I have a bunch of people i know that are in the car business from regular shop owners to custom exhaust shops, and performance shops and he was recommened by someone who has known him for 20+ years and runs the trans that he rebuilds.

As far as dropping the trans in your driveway it is a PITA but i did it for my first time ever and really didnt have many issues. The top starter bolt is a bastard i honestly fought with it for about and hour or two til i figured a way to get the extensions right and its way easier with 2 people. (use 1/4 extensions) make sure you have enough of them cause you need almost 2 feet and 2 1/4 universal joints

Some tips:
1)Jacking up the front of the motor with a block of wood solves the issue of getting the bolts at the top of the bellhousing but you need a long extension. Do yourself a huge favor and get some swivel sockets because it will make the job much easier

2)Make sure you get the car high enough to get the trans out (use 6 ton jack stands) my car was pretty high and with the trans on the trans jack i couldnt get it out cause it hit the subframe so we had to lift it off the jack while under the car, put it on a carpet and slide it out.

3)You have to wiggle the living hell outta the trans to get it to come out of the pilot bearing and splines on clutch disc. This was not as easy as everyone makes it sound but with enough persistance it will come out.

4)Getting the damn input shaft into the pilot bearing when reinstalling the trans is another PITA (BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE FINGERS ON THE PRESSURE PLATE OTHERWISEE YOUR SCREWED)

5) Change rear main seal while your in there. I took the plate off cause its the easiest btu be careful pressing the seal back in and it should NOT be flush with the back of the plate according to haynes its supposed to be offset 1/8 to 1/4 inch

6)Get some redline cv-2 high pressure/high temp grease and put it on the TOB retainer(Very thin light coating), pivot stud, and on the fork where the TOB pivots(when you take the old TOB out you will see the shiny spot make sure you grease there). People will tell you not to do this but they have no rhyme or reason. They say it pits the retainer because the clutch dust stick to it but that not true because what they dont know is that the retainer in made out of MOLY not Aluminum like the t5. Ford shop manual says to do this also.

Users who are viewing this thread