T-45 take a dump....

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
hey e1... yes it is a goner.. I can shift from natural into 2nd. I need advice on which way to go. My plans one day is to be in the 500 to 600hp range. A friend said i should have it rebuilt with forged internals (be cheaper)
I was thinking TKO600??? this is honestly one area i do not know much about..
any advice will help me.....Thx vick

btw i already bought a McLeod clutch an pressure plate...

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I would look into a ProMotion T45 or do a t56 with an upgraded input shaft.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Just had my t45 rebuit by bob hanlon at hanlon motorsports and its awesome. Got all the goodies 26 spline input, carbon syncros, reinforced forks etc.

Shifts great im still breakin it in though i onlt have like 75 miels on it. :)

F8L BYT

Established Member
Just had my t45 rebuit by bob hanlon at hanlon motorsports and its awesome. Got all the goodies 26 spline input, carbon syncros, reinforced forks etc.

Breaking it in? What? That shits for the birds :) lol jk. I havent decided if I want to go that route like you did or if I want to have liberty build mine. If I do it though, I want it right and it will be face plated. I dont want the damn thing to break again. I have already gone through two

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member

I called bob hanlon today. To do a simple rebuild would be 600 to 900 depending what is all wrong. If i go with a 26 spline input with the totally rebuild looking around 1200 to 1500 (i think thats what he said) not including my shipping from texas to PA. :nonono: but i have a problem i already bought a McLeod clutch with a 10 spline input damnt!!! I like I stated I will be in the 500 to 600hp range one day.

also called amp performance. tech informed me to go with TKO 600 all the way. Also i need to scrape the idea of rebuilding a T-45......:??::??::??:

I do not know which way to go.....

CJK440

Established Member
Keep in mind the 26 spline upgrade increases the torque capacity over the 10 spline input design. Any transmission that uses the 10 spline input will be plagued the same way.

When I built my T-45 Wally at promotion said that the best way to prolong the life of a 10 spline input is to avoid an overly aggressive clutch setup. Let a clutch that has a little "give" act like the fuse in the drivetrain. High shock loads will cause the proper clutch to slip before it twists the splines. He suggested the super king cobra setup as the ideal 10 spline clutch.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
also called amp performance. tech informed me to go with TKO 600 all the way. Also i need to scrape the idea of rebuilding a T-45......:??::??::??:

I do not know which way to go.....

That's probably because deal directly with tremec and that's how they would make money off of you. Don't forget it you were to go with a 500/600 then you also have to replace other things like the bellhousing, crossmember etc.

A built t-45 will hold up just fine. Just keep the 10 spline for now and when you are up to the 500-600hp range then have a 26 spline input put on. The 10 will hold for now.

Snapped my 3-4 shift fork in half in my old t45.

That's exactly what I did to mine... I guess the stock trans didnt like slicks/skinnies, Fidanza 2.1 and nitrous :lol1:

On a side note, What do you guys think about face plating a t45 for a weekend driven car? Anybody have experience with one?

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
from what i described on what happen to my T45 ..... would anyone say it was completely shot for a rebuild?

the reason i asked ... there is a speed shop about an hour from me... owner informed me it could be completely destoryed from what i described (i can shift into natural an second thats it also I can still drive it)....

another note Bob Hanlon (creditable shop) said over the phone sounds like a bent fork an syncron :shrug:

I am still leaning towards a rebuild ... if not destroyed... still looking on a good deal for a TKO ... no luck yet

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
Me too. Unlike Matt, my car is stock. I hit third and it didn't hit back lol

I think the only "power" that matters with a broken fork is the arm attached to the shifter. The 3-4 fork design was revised at one point. The cryo'd stock fork I got from Promotion was much beefier and had lots more structural ribbing than the stock 97 fork I took out.

CJK440

Established Member
from what i described on what happen to my T45 ..... would anyone say it was completely shot for a rebuild?

the reason i asked ... there is a speed shop about an hour from me... owner informed me it could be completely destoryed from what i described (i can shift into natural an second thats it also I can still drive it)....

another note Bob Hanlon (creditable shop) said over the phone sounds like a bent fork an syncron :shrug:

I am still leaning towards a rebuild ... if not destroyed... still looking on a good deal for a TKO ... no luck yet

When you drive it in second does it make any funny noises? To me "completely shot" is when gear teeth strip and the debris makes its way thru the rest of the teeth and bearings. Since all the gears are in mesh all the time, if you blew the teeth off any gear, it would sound pretty bad in any gear.

If second gear seems fine nice and quiet, chances are it is just common T-45 shift mechanism issues and would be worth tearing down to see what is wrong. Could be fork issues, could be syncro key issues. You won't know till its torn down.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

I'd be more inclined to believe Bob Hanlon than the owner of the speed shop. I'm not saying the speed shop owner doesn't know what he is talking about, but Bob was the original guy who started modifying and upgrading T45's. It's all he does. And he's a damn good guy to boot, too. He called me back after hours and talked to me on the phone for nearly an hour about my setup and what he felt my best options were.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
When you drive it in second does it make any funny noises? To me "completely shot" is when gear teeth strip and the debris makes its way thru the rest of the teeth and bearings. its torn down.

absolutely no noise at all.... i know this is a knuckle head move. When i was moving it from house to house... I had to show a friend what it can do out of second gear....she still has it!!!!!! lol :burnout::burnout::burnout:

but Bob was the original guy who started modifying and upgrading T45's. It's all he does. And he's a damn good guy to boot, too. He called me back after hours and talked to me on the phone for nearly an hour about my setup and what he felt my best options were.

I totally agree. I called an they where on they're lunch break. I felt bad, I tired to call back but he persisted to talk so, awesome guy !!!

another question e1... my uncle an mechanic friend said.. (lets take it out ourselves, an send it wherever you want) I guess its not all that complex dropping a transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread