Systems Engineering Degree

usafimj

Established Member
If all goes well I'll be done in October with my B.S. in Aeronautics w/ a minor in Unmanned Aerial Systems through Embry-Riddle. So I'm starting to think about the next step for my Masters and the degree that catches my eye is Systems Engineering. Wonder if anyone here has completed this type of degree and what type of work they got into afterwards. Is Systems Engineering a good career field? Pretty much just looking for anything about this.

https://erau.edu/degrees/master/systems-engineering/

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Congrats! I got my BS in Professional Aeronautics from ERAU back in 99. Only took me 9 years of night school while I was on active duty!

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
Interesting that you post this, I'm graduating with my MSSE next month! I've been in the industry (I work for a major engine OEM) for six years and decided to pursue the SE for two reasons: 1) I wanted to broaden my knowledge (e.g. rather than an MSME), and 2) SE is poised to be the "hottest" engineering field very soon. While SE has been around since the 60's, the application and benefits of appyling the principles are more recenly being realized. My employer has realized this, and we are making major strides in shifting from a component to a system-level focus. Other companies are doing this, and they need people well-versed in SE theory and application. I've read, through SAE career publications, that the median starting salaries for SE degrees is approaching that of nuclear engineering degree salaries, so this demonstrates the importance of it.

If you do some research, you'll see what I mean. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

CO Mack

Established Member
Why do you want to get a Master's rather than go to work? The market for engineers is very very hot right now. It is a big advantage to graduate into a hot market.

What originally drove you to engineering? What about Systems Engineering is attractive to you now?

I think a new engineer should find an opportunity to work on something very technical and interesting and get good at it. Focus on your personal skills and systems, not credentialing.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Masters sets you apart from the sea of BS candidates out there. Plenty of engineering positions that require a bit higher education requirement.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
For example, I know a few people at a large local company (none of whom are hiring managers). I got my resume on the hiring managers desk because of them, but it sounds like i'm being passed over for 2 phd's because the hiring manager thinks she can get tons of education at a "discount" despite me being a qualified local candidate.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
...but it sounds like i'm being passed over for 2 phd's because the hiring manager thinks she can get tons of education at a "discount" despite me being a qualified local candidate.

If that's the case, you don't want to work there. The right company sees your value in not only your education, but your experience, foresight, and eagerness. Your resume should show that much.

How do I know? Got a Data Manager position at a company with a Political Science degree. All based off of self taught experience in the data and automotive world.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If that's the case, you don't want to work there. The right company sees your value in not only your education, but your experience, foresight, and eagerness. Your resume should show that much.

How do I know? Got a Data Manager position at a company with a Political Science degree. All based off of self taught experience in the data and automotive world.

I'm not saying I agree with it lol. They went up to bat for me and argued that they have had 20 some odd coworkers in their very small group leave in the past 2 years after 2-3 years of working their. All of them were from back east somewhere. They are all tired of hiring new grads and low experience individuals, training them for years, and having them leave to go back home.

I obviously can only comment on what they told me, and not the hiring manager, but it seems like she just sees PHD and thats it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't know if anyone has been hired yet or not, just sounded like that was what was going to happen.

Only thing I don't have is an active security clearance, but they didn't either.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if you have a BS degree in aerospace engineering id recommend going right into your field of interest instead of waiting to get a masters degree.

real world experience >> academic credentials

i have a masters in mechanical engineering BTW..

usafimj

Established Member
Congrats! I got my BS in Professional Aeronautics from ERAU back in 99. Only took me 9 years of night school while I was on active duty!

Thanks. Its been a long road of changing degrees/deployments/etc.

Why do you want to get a Master's rather than go to work? The market for engineers is very very hot right now. It is a big advantage to graduate into a hot market.

What originally drove you to engineering? What about Systems Engineering is attractive to you now?

I think a new engineer should find an opportunity to work on something very technical and interesting and get good at it. Focus on your personal skills and systems, not credentialing.

The reason I'm wanting to work towards my Masters is because I have 6 1/2 years left in the military before I reach that 20yr mark. If I start in October I'll be done around March 2020 with 3yrs left before retirement. Just trying to set myself up with the best possible chance of a job when I get out.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Almost done with my MSME and IMO SE is a glorified project (or engineering) management degree for people that can actually understand complex math. The civilian (DOD) world is full of systems engineers to the point that technical expertise is becoming more rare.

Users who are viewing this thread