synthetic or regular oil

DarkShadowSnake

DarkShadowSnake
Established Member
I bought an 03 cobra but do not know who the last owner was so I don't know if they used synthetic or not. This is my first supercharged car so I was wondering if synt. is the way to go anyways.

Fuerza

Established Member
Motorcraft 5w20 here. No issues, I heard if you change it every 3k miles it works great! :thumbsup:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
sorry, I refuse to answer questions that have already been discussed ad nauseum :poke:

(there are 60 Terminator threads with SYNTHETIC in the title....)

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
One thing i can say... when i had regular ford oil in the engine (after the new heads went on) when i went to empty my oil-catch bottle their was a white/yellow sludge that wouldn't pour out. I had to use a cloth and push it in their to get rid of it before putting it back. Iv'e never seen that before when running mobile1 5w30. I can only imagine where else in the engine that sludge has built up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since you don't know what's in there now, use a synthetic. The stock oil is a synthetic blend. There a number of excellent synthetics to choose from, including.....
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Castrol Syntec
Penzoil Platinum

Synthetic Oil Advantages
The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:
* Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
* Better chemical & shear stability
* Decreased evaporative loss
* Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
* Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less waste oil created. Most, though, still change at the regular interval time.

Disadvantages
The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include:
* Initial costs are usually multiplied by 3 compared to petroleum based oils.
* The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in with new motors.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
04CobraMatt said:
One thing i can say... when i had regular ford oil in the engine (after the new heads went on) when i went to empty my oil-catch bottle their was a white/yellow sludge that wouldn't pour out. I had to use a cloth and push it in their to get rid of it before putting it back. Iv'e never seen that before when running mobile1 5w30. I can only imagine where else in the engine that sludge has built up.

I saw that while running M1.

MustangThief

Established Member
I'm curious how many people run 5w20 compared to 5w30 and 10w30.

Now I'm trying to think if I got 5w30 last time or 10w30. Damnit.

I can't remember.

I think I've been using 10w30.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
DarkShadowSnake, I just noticed you're new to the forum, and that you've recently bought your Cobra. So welcome! If I can be of any help to you let me know.

FYI, I have a helpful and basic FAQ page on my website. I was just talking to a guy today on the phone who told me how helpful it was to him. Feedback like that is nice to hear. Anyway, here is the link. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

Fuerza

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I'm curious how many people run 5w20 compared to 5w30 and 10w30.

Now I'm trying to think if I got 5w30 last time or 10w30. Damnit.

I can't remember.

I think I've been using 10w30.

I run Motorcraft 5w20 with a full bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 :shrug: Put what makes you feel warm and fuzzy and change it every 3k miles. I'm moving down to Texas in a few weeks and will most likely switch to 10w30 for the added wear protection in the hot dry climate. No body recommended me to do it, I'm just experimenting with my 10k dollar motor. :burnout:

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
JB said:
sorry, I refuse to answer questions that have already been discussed ad nauseum :poke:

(there are 60 Terminator threads with SYNTHETIC in the title....)

ok then dont bother posting. maybe he wants opinions from different people that haven't posted in the past threads. and the guy just join the forums. so chill out you old fart

btw i use fully synethic mobil 1 5w-20

DarkShadowSnake

DarkShadowSnake
Established Member
thanks svtcobrar, your right I just wanted to hear peoples opinions about what they use and what they think is best. I put full synthetic 5w-20 today. I put 5 qts. but it looks like I need to buy another qrt tomorrow.

03cobra#116

Established Member
I believe the manual says 6 quarts.

I think Ford recommends the 5-20 for fuel economy, but I have read that 5-30 gives more protection.

Synthetic is better.

Users who are viewing this thread