Synthetic Oil Comparison

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by FastCobra
Cobra03, Do you change your oil once a year as Amsoil states?? They say 1 year or 35,000 miles using there 0W30 and changing out there Filter at 6 months?

I know people are going to freak on this ( once per yr oil chg)

I only drive about 3000 miles a year, so i time out before the oil wears out.
Amsoil says this:
"In turbocharged gasoline engines and occasionally used gasoline engines: change the oil at intervals up to three times longer recommended by the engine manufacturer or six months, whichever comes first."

So I do that. I change at 6 months.

For those driving every day, I would absolutely have no problems with once/year oil change. Did this with Red Line for many years, and did a lot of oil analyses - found that top tier synoils such as the ones I recommended are better lubes at 10,000 miles than some lesser ones new. For one, they use additives that raise the TBN (total base number) in excess of 12, nearly double Mobil 1 as I recall. Ho
igh TBN (or low TAN) is an indicator of oil's resistance to acidifcation, the biggest danger to engines since it will etch the metals.

Most peo

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Cobra'03

Originally posted by dougwg
May I have your recommendation on which oil I should be using in my 2001 Kawasaki ZX9R?:read:

Is that a wet clutch application? If so, nearly all racers use either Red Line or Motul. I used RL when I had 3 superbikes "in my youth".

03 Terminator

Crazy SVT Driver
Established Member
Royal Purple RP21

What about Royal Purple RP21? I remember when I was a member of Jeeps Unlimited (Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum) some guy did perform a test with couple of top-price synthetics oils on the dyno on his Mopar 5.2L. The guy did make sure he had consistent results between various pass and Royal Purple finished #1 in terms of HP and Torque gain. Another guy seconded his findings by telling a lot of Corvette guys are running RP21.

I was convinced after this post so I ordered RP21 and was very impressed by my mileage after. Never had a chance to dyno since there is no 4x4 dyno in my area.

I will try to find that original post...

Cobra'03

Established Member
search on some of my posts - I have never been able to get decent information from RP to analyze, so I am skeptical. I would very much like to see a full set of specs using standard API data - I got an MSDS sheet from them that told me zilch.

Their regular oil is just a fortified mineral oil at premium prices. Their race oil is a fortified PAO. They claim to have achieved an additive package that has somehow escaped all the tribologists at all the other major companies...possible but unlikely.

For all, do not be fooled by the dyno things you see on this product in the TV magazines - there are ways to look good on those tests that are not necessarily indicators of balanced lubrication. You can load up on friction modifiers.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
I don't have a Cobra but my 2001 Lightning has had Royal Purple #11(5W20) synthetic racing oil in it since 4,000 miles rolled around. I use the K&N Gold oil filter too.

My L now has 40,400 miles(daily driver--80% interstate and 1/4 miled) with no eng. 'noises' or problems. It's never been back to the dealer since I purchased it. I also get 14-15 mpg:) .

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread