"Synthetic Filter" or rip off...

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I'm due for an oil change very soon. Last time I took it to a Mobil Oil change place and they charged me 65 for synthetic oil (Mobil 5w30). The tech there then recommended I get a "synthetic" filter instead of a standard one (10 bucks more). I asked if the standard one would work and he said yes, but the synthetic one is better suited. I was wondering if I got ripped off by paying 75... thx

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I never heard of that kind of oil filter, but the oil was $30 for the case, 3 for the motorcraft filter, and 20 bucks to do it. $75 sounds really high to me.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
I never heard of that kind of oil filter, but the oil was $30 for the case, 3 for the motorcraft filter, and 20 bucks to do it. $75 sounds really high to me.

$75 only sounds high if you don't know what Mobil 1 oil costs. The filter sounds about right at $10 also. Is it necessary I don't know, but the price is about right.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/mob1higefoil.html

http://www.venturers.org/NextGenTech/2ndGen/pages/Filters.html

Tertiary info for fun:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Supply the oil yourself and the price is the same as a regular oil change. I get mine done for around $25 (don't forget $30 in oil cost to be added) and they include a filter.

Gotta find a reasonable source for Amsoil (or Mobil 1), good luck there, even Wal-Mart sells Mobil 1 at $4 a quart.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys... I went ahead and got my oil changed yesterday, since the damn hurricane is coming. Next time I'll buy my own oil first... but yesterday they charged me $63.00 for the oil change. This time with just a standard filter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$75. is a bit high for a Mobil 1 oil change. Don't let the dealer slap a ridiculous markup onto the oil and filter. Buy a case yourself and a filter. Then tell your dealer than you are providing the oil and filter. Your charge should now be $15. - $20. plus the parts you provide. I've been doing this for years. I always brought the oil and filter to my dealer and the oil change charge was always around $16.

You can buy case of Mobil 1 oil at discount stores like Costco for around $25.00. That works out to only $5.00 a quart. Add $10. for a filter and $15. for labor and it comes out to $55.00.

Yes, there are synthetic oil filters. Exxon/Mobil makes one. The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter contains synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 95-percent efficiency rating (under SAE J806 tests for capacity and contamination removal), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine. You should be able to buy them for around $10. at a discount auto parts store. Autobarn.com charges $11.95.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Thanks for the info on the filters bob. Sounds like they are worth the extra bucks... if I buy them at an auto parts store.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No problem. I've been using Fram filters but I'm going to switch to the Mobil 1 filter now.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
I take my durango to Walmart and get the mobil 1 synthetic changed in in it. It cost me 30 dollars for the oil change there, maybe you should think about going there if you arent doing it yourself.

Rick

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One downside to doing it yourself is getting rid of the old oil. I remember back in the "old days" when my dad used to dig a hole in the backyard and pour his old oil into the hole. Others used to pour it down a manhole. How times have changed! :)

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
One downside to doing it yourself is getting rid of the old oil. I remember back in the "old days" when my dad used to dig a hole in the backyard and pour his old oil into the hole. Others used to pour it down a manhole. How times have changed! :)

Depending on the state your in you can take your used oil to any one of the "Quik Lube" shops and they HAVE to dispose of it for you. Many of the Automotive stores will do this too! AutoZone, Advance, etc... Just be careful transporting the old oil in your car!!!

U.M.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
No problem. I've been using Fram filters but I'm going to switch to the Mobil 1 filter now.

Fram has a comparable high performance filter. It's called the X2 "Extended Guard" and is an extended use, synthetic fiber type filter with 96% single pass efficiency. It costs about $9-10 and in my opinion, it is just as good as any of the other HP filters available.

You can find more info on the fram website. I'd link to it here but they use unlinkable frames on their website...:nonono:

I use this filter on my Cobra in tandem with AMSOIL synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread