Sync 4 and Android Auto

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2017 F-450 with Sync 3. I run Android Auto on that because Sync 3's voice command is trash. Works beautifully (most of the time). I just push the voice button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to..." and it maps me out a route. It actually uses the phones voice command system and not the vehicles.

Now we have our new Bronco with the Sync 4 system. I have my phone paired to it and have even tried a USB cable, but when I press the voice command button on the steering wheel, I get the Ford system and not my phones. The phones Google Maps displays, but I can't get voice to work with it. Very frustrating because I use it for texting all the time while driving. With this Sync 4 system, I can't use my phone how I'd like.

Anyone else have similar issues?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So it sounds like the Sync 4 system won't allow use of your phone's voice command system. It might be to ensure you're not holding your phone to use it's voice command system. What don't you like about the Sync 4 voice command system? I have a Genesis, but I prefer it to my iPhone's voice command system.

Are you saying, too, that Ford's voice command system won't do hands free texting?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, that's correct Bob, it won't let me do hands free texting. The sync 4 is a huge improvement over sync 3 IMO. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do other hands free commands other than navigation.

Your government is lying to you

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Try holding the voice command button for 5-10 seconds.

Usually a one time screen prompt pops up on the phone letting you know what voice assistance to use. Just default it to Google.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, that's correct Bob, it won't let me do hands free texting. The sync 4 is a huge improvement over sync 3 IMO. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to do other hands free commands other than navigation.

That's what I thought. Did you try calling your dealer service department for help with this. That's what I usually do, but quite honestly most of the time they don't know much about the features, so I end up using Google search. Wouldn't hurt to give @BlueSnake01's suggestion a try.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I did a Google search and came up empty.
I'll give the holding the button a try.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Used the talk to text a few days ago from the AA screen. Kinda cool. I wonder if its a software update they could do to add functionality?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
@BlueSnake01 wins the prize. If you do a short press of the voice command button, it uses the Ford system. A long press will give you the android auto system. I just held it until aa comes up, about 2 seconds.

My thanks to you, Bluesnake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread