switching to synthetic oil, a few qustions inside------->

TokenBlackGuy

Established Member
i'm thinking about switching to synthetic oil for my cobra. i've never used synthetic before. what brand and weight do you recommend? also, i don't need a special oil filter for synthetics, do I? thanks...

travis

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
you will get alot of different replys on this as for brand of oil and weight IMO I would use the manufacturer recommended weight and buy moble 1 syn -- as for the oil filter alot of people use the stock motorcrafts don't know the PN though :beer:

snackpack

Established Member
I used Moble 1 Sys. in my last Cobra. I am switching to that on my next oil change.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Any brand of synthetic will lubricate better than organic oil. Mobil 1 is usually available in the same viscosity as stock [5W20] so that's what I use.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't Ford use a synthetic blend? So you're going from a blend to full synthetic. I used both Mobil 1 and Redline. Mobil 1 is easier to get and sometimes can be bought at a discount. Even Costco and BJ sells Mobil 1 but not always the weight you need. My choice would be Mobil 1, and stick to the recommended weight.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
My car has 5W30 Royal Purple in it from the dealer I got it from... no problems so far.

lukem80

Established Member
Mobil 1 5-30. can buy it at walmart in the big jug for pretty cheap.

I run a motorcraft filter (like oem)

change oil every 5,000 miles.

run an oil separator and clean it out every 1,000 miles

metaman

Established Member
I run 5 quarts 5w30 mobil 1 and one quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. Seems to work great. The car seemed to run smoother with the lucas in there. Alot of guys will try and tell you the lucas is snake oil (no pun intended). However I have been running it for 30k and have had no problems at all.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
just out of curiousity--what does the lucas oil stablizer do for the synthetic oil/motor

TEABG

Banned
I8URZ28 said:
just out of curiousity--what does the lucas oil stablizer do for the synthetic oil/motor

Do not use any additives, I use Mobil 1 SYN 5/30. You will find about 80% of people on this board use 5/30 weight on this board per the last POLL. Next time I will use 6 1/2 quarts like my brother did, his heads were a little noisy and now they are quiet.

Deftones

Established Member
5W20 Royal Purple here. I used MotorCraft half syn half reg until 10,000 miles and switched over to full synthetic.

2003-SVT

Established Member
I just changed to Mob 1 synt 5w30 yesterday. I also got the big jug at walmart for pretty cheap.

03 VENOM

Established Member
Is 4500 miles too soon to switch to full synthetic?I have been using 5w20 motorcraft syn. blend since the day I bought it :)

hoofbeat

Established Member
03 VENOM said:
Is 4500 miles too soon to switch to full synthetic?I have been using 5w20 motorcraft syn. blend since the day I bought it :)
:beer: Switched to Mobil 1 5w30 at 5,000 miles have 15,000 miles now no problems. Motorcraft oil filter part # is 820s.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I use Mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter (autozone had a deal, 5qts and a filter for 29.99, and the dude there gave me the 6th qt for free. I have a oil separator too.. just be careful with it tho, dont over use the teflon tape! :p

Users who are viewing this thread