Switching to Amsoil from Royal Purple

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Ive been using Royal Purple Full synthetic forever. Its done me well. I have always changed my oil in 3000 mile intervals. This time I decided i would try Amsoil 5w20, because everyone says it does WONDERS on their cars.

Now my question is:

Do i choose "AMSOIL OE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil" - AMSOIL - AMSOIL OE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEM)

Or

Do i choose "AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil" -
AMSOIL - Extended Life 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLM)
THis one is a little bit more expensive.

Which one should i buy 6 quarts of? The Amsoil dealer tells me I could go up to 25,000 miles before an oil change (I wont be doing that lol, but maybe every 5K?)

WHat do you guys think?
Which Amsoil is the best 5w-20? I live in AZ, where its mostly dry heat.

You made the right choice. After my lengthy E-discussions with Unleashed Beast, who is unabashedly a promoter of Amsoil, you might be better off with Amsoil's 10W-30 SS oil because of the high temps you see out there. Amsoil 10W-30 SS is my summer oil and 0W-30 SS for the winter.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ive been using Royal Purple Full synthetic forever. Its done me well. I have always changed my oil in 3000 mile intervals. This time I decided i would try Amsoil 5w20, because everyone says it does WONDERS on their cars.

Now my question is:

Do i choose "AMSOIL OE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil" - AMSOIL - AMSOIL OE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEM)

Or

Do i choose "AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil" -
AMSOIL - Extended Life 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLM)
THis one is a little bit more expensive.

Which one should i buy 6 quarts of? The Amsoil dealer tells me I could go up to 25,000 miles before an oil change (I wont be doing that lol, but maybe every 5K?)

WHat do you guys think?
Which Amsoil is the best 5w-20? I live in AZ, where its mostly dry heat.

Should have just switched from the RP SAE 5W-20 to the RP HPS 5W-20. The warranty compliant API-SN licensed oil from any brand has less protection.
The RP SAE oil changed last summer.

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Should have just switched from the RP SAE 5W-20 to the RP HPS 5W-20. The warranty compliant API-SN licensed oil from any brand has less protection.

Way to intelligent for me lol. Whats the difference, what does HPS stand for? And what is the API-SN.

You made the right choice. After my lengthy E-discussions with Unleashed Beast, who is unabashedly a promoter of Amsoil, you might be better off with Amsoil's 10W-30 SS oil because of the high temps you see out there. Amsoil 10W-30 SS is my summer oil and 0W-30 SS for the winter.

See i understand that, but my car doesnt overheat, it probably gets the same IAT2, IAT temps all year long... And i don't really know if i should put anything in it besides what the manual tells me.

they dont sell either of those at any store around me :( so i go with mobil 1 for now

Yea they aren't sold at any stores near me either. Im picking it up from a local dealer, they are a local BMW race team.

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I'm going to give Redline shot since I'm a dealer.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
One more question, my amsoil dealer wants me to buy an Amsoil Filter, he says they are the best of the best -

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters - Nanofiber Technology

Its 17.30$ which seems to me a ton for an oil filter. What do you guys think? worth the extra bucks for the extra protection?

Which Oil filter would you recommend?

^ is also an option.

sorry for all the questions, thanks guys.
I use Motorcraft filters and change them every 3,000 miles (and top off, ~1 qt), even though I have tried to leave the Amsoil in for 15,000 miles. I use their top brand, Signature Series. It's been $11/qt in the past (haven't bought any for 2 years).

As much as I like Amsoil, if RP has been working well for you, why change? Both oils seem to be great oils, especially if you are only going 5,000 miles per change. Dino oil can do that at a greatly reduced cost. Even after 15,000 miles, Blackstone Labs has always come back and said to leave it in for another 3,000 and sample again. If I drove my car more, I'd have no qualms about going more than 15,000 on a change.

SVTDice

Established Member
One more question, my amsoil dealer wants me to buy an Amsoil Filter, he says they are the best of the best -

Its 17.30$ which seems to me a ton for an oil filter. What do you guys think? worth the extra bucks for the extra protection?

Which Oil filter would you recommend?

^ is also an option.

sorry for all the questions, thanks guys.

If you become a preferred customer. The prices for ALL Amsoil products are much cheaper. You can bump up to a 30 weight no problem. Its what I have. Alot of it comes down to driving habbits. Where you live, Etc. 30 Weight will provide you over all better wear and protection in your internal engine. I'm currently using the last of my Amsoil OE. Its a great oil to be honest. But I'm going for the Signature series next oil change. It is a quite better formulation of base stocks and over all is a much more robust oil. HOWEVER.

OE Is not a bad oil by any means. I've been extremely happy with it. I don't run my car very hard, But if you do tracking or get into boost more often you may want to spring for Signature Series. Or I would if I was you.

Now onto the oil filter. Amsoil's oil filter by FAR is the best oil filter I've ever laid my hands on. It makes Purolators, Frams, & Motorcraft's filters look like tin cans in comparison. If you ever get your hands on one give it a good squeeze. Its very solid. Excellent build quality.

And then there's Royal Purple. I've heard fantastic things about there new formulations in oils. I've heard great things about there filters as well. If you want you can stick with Royal Purple and try the new HPS formulation. I like finding a good oil and sticking with it. But all in all do what makes you happy. If you need anymore help just shoot me a PM and I'll try to help as much as I can.

:rockon:

Last edited:

03snkvert

Established Member
Ok, I run the Amsoil 0-30 ss series oil in my car. I change it once a year, but only drive the car about 3,000 miles do to crappy Iowa winters. Is this overkill or not.

I really don't mind spending $80 a year on oil and a filter, to help me keep from replacing a motor!

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Great to know guys. I think i will be doing either 5w-20 or 5-w30 which is better for 80 degree non humid weather? Also it looks like ill be going with the Amsoil Filter.

Ralo

Established Member

What are the differences and why is HPS not recommended for vehicles under warranty? I'm about to have to order some more oil....

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What are the differences and why is HPS not recommended for vehicles under warranty? I'm about to have to order some more oil....

API-SN & SM oils are required for warranty. The SN and SM licenses includes chemistry restrictions. These same chemistry restrictions limit the amount of ZDDP(zinc/phosphorous) anti wear additive that can be used.

The HPS series oils are a non-API performance oil that is not subject to any chemistry restrictions, so we can build it how we want to. The HPS is a significant upgrade in protection and performance over any API licensed oil and even over many of our competitor's full race oils.

Yet it is safe for catalytic converters and extended street use and normal driving.
HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) max power and max fuel economy
HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle) additional protection for high oil temp endurance type apps, or high fuel dilution(high boost or E85)
The HPS series is priced very close to the SAE/API street oils between 9 and 10 dollars a quart.

Over 700 rwhp you should think about up grading further to the XPR series race oils, which are also safe for street use with cats.
XPR 5W-20 (part #01011, quart bottle)
XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle)
The XPR series oils will be expensive since they are expensive to build, typically in the high teens per quart.

Users who are viewing this thread