switching mrt catted to / x?

astippich

Established Member
I am considering going from a mrt catted h to either a magnaflow catted x (first choice) or a bassani catted x. My question is , how is the ground clearance with either x pipe? Does one tuck up better than the other? I ask this because my mrt pipe has never scraped a thing and I don't want to introduce a ground clearance problem by switching. My car has kenny brown springs.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I think you'll be fine with either one. I was also considering the magnaflow catted x to go with my magnaflow cat back when I found a descent price on a used bassani catted X. It's the latest design (5 piece & stainless). It fits just fine. It dosent hang any lower than my magnaflow muffler as far as I can tell.

SVTBOOST

Established Member
I have Bassani catted X also with Kenny Brown springs with no clearance issues.

Evan5469

Established Member
I have the Magnaflow catted X and have never scraped on anything. I'm at stock ride height still but I don't think it would be much of a problem if I was lowered a bit either. The cats are smaller than stock and appear to give better ground clearance than stock also.

Also, I'm switching to a Pro Chamber soon so I may be selling the Magnaflow X.

astippich

Established Member
I want to switch to try a different sound. I've had MRT catted + stingers since july 04 and want to try an x with the stingers.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I JUST removed my MRT H and went to the MaggieX. It tucks tight; if not slightly tighter, than the MRT.

NO clearance issues and there really is no way to get it tucked any nicer.

Was running MRT/Stingers as well; but went MaggieX/Bassani...heard too many mixed reviews on the X/Stingers combo and hadn't heard anyone really with a real X and Bassani.

Post some clips if you can; I'd love to hear it.

YoungGun03

Borderline questionable
Established Member
I have a bassani catted X and it would scrape at extreme speed bumps..but then again my car is lowered.
When i had my borla exhaust put on they raised the X pipe up and iv had no problem since. Must have been a shady install in the first place:nonono:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Switched from a MRT catted-H as well to Magnaflow catted-X. I like the sound better with my Borla 14858 cat back. A little quieter and smoother sound.

astippich

Established Member
I've got the magnaflow on and its quieter and smoother sounding than the mrt. There is no glass pack rap left. I haven't heard it from outside the car yet, I will tonight.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I've got the magnaflow on and its quieter and smoother sounding than the mrt. There is no glass pack rap left. I haven't heard it from outside the car yet, I will tonight.

Exact reason I switched - that glass pack/harley "blatttt" sounded like sh!t. I had the combo you did, and have been running your new combo for about a year and change, now. WAYYY smoother sound, but still deep - none of the "raspy/high-pitched" stuff I kept hearing about from people who dislike x-pipes.
Other than my own ears, to me, the ultimate proof was in the number of compliments I got. With the previous combo, not one - just a bunch of :dw: looks when I got on it (I hated it as well). Swapped out after only a month, and in the first couple days with the new combo, I must've had half a dozen people give me thumbs up or make comments along the lines of "your car sounds amazing".

Users who are viewing this thread