Switch to GT rear brakes

MVD

Established Member
weswtbcobra said:
are you sure the calipers are the same? how do they get you more clearance for different types of wheels if the caliper is the same?

Because GT rotors are smaller. Also the GT pads are thicker since the GT rotor is thinner (non vented) but you can still use your Cobra pads.

And you do not have to use dust shields :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious why you'd use the GT rears vs, going with upgraded hardware from Brembo/Baer/Wilwood.

MVD

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Just curious why you'd use the GT rears vs, going with upgraded hardware from Brembo/Baer/Wilwood.

Cost would be my guess.

The GT rotor is only 1" smaller than the Cobra rotor and since rear brakes only do about 25% of your overlall braking you are giving up a very small amount of stopping power.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is the only reason I can think of as well. I was just curous as I have never heard of anyone converting to the smaller rear GT brakes.

Juruense

Banned
I used to be on a GT forum and all those guys would talk about is Cobra brake upgrades...

The thread starter MUST be talking about the Ford GT and not the Mustang GT... ??? WTF?

weswtbcobra

Established Member
CobraBob said:

not cost-
let me give you the run down-
i have a solid rear and have put on some 15x8 Centerline Telstars. I had to do some grinding to the caliper and banjo bolt to get them to clear.
I can take the wheel off- grind where it needs to be grinded, put the wheel back on, check everything and it will be good.
Drive it for a week or so and it will be rubbing the wheel again. I am just tired of messing with it and figured the switch to GT rears would be the end of it.
It has been fine and last night on the way home from the track i could hear it rubbing again when i would come to a stop. I checked the inside of the wheel when i got home and sure enough it was rubbing again.

MVD

Established Member
weswtbcobra said:
alright- well it seems like this would make my problems go away-
so i need the rotors, calipers, bracket and dust shield-

anything else???

You do not need calipers, unless you are just planning to replace the set you ground down. Just GT rotors and bracket. Don't need dust shields or pads either.

Last edited:

weswtbcobra

Established Member
MVD said:
You do not need calipers, unless you are just planning to replace the set you ground down. Just GT rotors and bracket. Don't need dust shields or pads either.

Even better-

so do the brackets bolt right up? no other mods necassary?

weswtbcobra

Established Member
one more question-

i went to order my parts:

do i need the "bracket"- this would be the part that looks like it is part of the caliper once installed-

or do i need the "adaptor"- this is the part that holds the bracket.

or both?

MVD

Established Member
weswtbcobra said:
one more question-

i went to order my parts:

do i need the "bracket"- this would be the part that looks like it is part of the caliper once installed-

or do i need the "adaptor"- this is the part that holds the bracket.

or both?

You do not need the bracket that holds the pads, you need the adaptor which mounts the bracket to the axle. I can give you a part number once I get home if you need it.

Basically the adaptor mounting holes are closer to the axle since the rotor is smaller, and it is critical you get the right one.......or else your calipers will still be mounted too far out to run a 15" wheel.

MVD

Established Member
The adaptors you want are....

F4ZZ-2C100-A - List $57.50
F4ZZ-2C101-A - List $62.40

Do not let them sell you the Mach 1 brackets which are......

F4ZZ-2C100-B
F4ZZ-2C101-B

The Mach 1 adaptors are used for a solid swap if you want to retain your OEM Cobra rotors.

Hope that helps.

weswtbcobra

Established Member
ok- so i started to take everything apart tonight and it appears to me that to replace the adaptor you have to pull the axel out.

am i missing something here?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
weswtbcobra said:
ok- so i started to take everything apart tonight and it appears to me that to replace the adaptor you have to pull the axel out.

am i missing something here?
Yes, you have to pull the axles out. No big deal. Just drain the fluid. Unbolt the cover, pull the bolt out of the center section, pull out the cross shaft and then the c-clip for each axle. Then the axles will slide right out.

Refill with 2 quarts of fluid.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread