Sway Bar Rate

DocB

Established Member
How are sway bars quantitatively rated? Is there some type of torsional measurement used? And I don't mean firm, medium or soft.

I am in the process of upgrading my front sway bar and would like some numbers to compare. For some reason, i can't find the rates or some other measurement.

I thought since many of you OTers run upgraded sway bars you would know how your new bar compares to the replaced one.

Also, any leads on who still makes an adjustable front sway bar for an 03 Cobra?

TIA for the info and learning experience.

racebronco2

Established Member
How are sway bars quantitatively rated? Is there some type of torsional measurement used? And I don't mean firm, medium or soft.

I am in the process of upgrading my front sway bar and would like some numbers to compare. For some reason, i can't find the rates or some other measurement.

I thought since many of you OTers run upgraded sway bars you would know how your new bar compares to the replaced one.

Also, any leads on who still makes an adjustable front sway bar for an 03 Cobra?

TIA for the info and learning experience.

Maximum motorsports used to have the rate of the stock bars.

If you have a 03/04 cobra leave the stock front bar alone. Get the eibach rear bar which is 29mm just like the front bar. If you get the eibach set of bars you will find out the their front solid bar is way too stiff and causes even more tendency to plow. A national solo2 winning driver suggested that the best bar was the steeda front tubular front bar.

The only one that had a adjustable bar was kenny brown. A friend broke two of the fronts on his 01 cobra.

DocB

Established Member
I have been looking at the Steeda front bar and the Eibachs, but it has been recently brought to my attention that I may want to think about an adjustable bar. Yes, Kenny Brown used to make adjustables, and I will be looking into if they still do. Used to be four different stiffnesses.

Wonder why your friend broke two of them? Do you know of others that have broken? If so, I don't want to go down that road.

At present, I can't find any others that are adjustable.

EXCEPT- if I build my own NASCAR style bar. Main change bars, and spline timed ends. I really didn't want to go this crazy on this car. But it always seems like if I don't want to buy off-the-shelf who-knows-what, I wind up custom fabbing components.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's my opinion some people try to compensate too much for suspension inefficiencies with a sway bar. A sway bar is for fine tuning. If you're trying to have the sway bar compensate too much for lack of spring rates, you'll push it past its physical limitations.

If you're running the sway bar full stiff and its not enough, you need higher front spring rates.

Not sure if that was the case or not with the broken bars referred to above.

I've run two KB adj. front sway bars on two of my cars and ironically it was one of the only KB parts I've ever purchased that didn't need any modification or repairs. Never broke one. Now after the A-47 SLA to one of the cars, I've been forced to remove the sway bar from that car. It didn't fit.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
I have been looking at the Steeda front bar and the Eibachs, but it has been recently brought to my attention that I may want to think about an adjustable bar. Yes, Kenny Brown used to make adjustables, and I will be looking into if they still do. Used to be four different stiffnesses.

Wonder why your friend broke two of them? Do you know of others that have broken? If so, I don't want to go down that road.

At present, I can't find any others that are adjustable.

EXCEPT- if I build my own NASCAR style bar. Main change bars, and spline timed ends. I really didn't want to go this crazy on this car. But it always seems like if I don't want to buy off-the-shelf who-knows-what, I wind up custom fabbing components.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

My friend has the complete kb kit on his car. Springs, shocks, swaybars and subframe connectors. They replaced both swaybars and he had to have the third one sent back because the swaybar adjustable nut/bolt was hitting the frame. It seems like the swaybar was too narrow. This was before kb got sick, probably about 6 or 7 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread