swapping rod bolts

stal94gt

Established Member
anyone here ever swap the stock bolts out with no additional changes? im thinking of trying to get rid of some front end weight by swapping my K member and A arms out and that would allow me to drop the oil pan. i know upgrading to arp 2000 rod bolts is worth it but havent heard many people do it.

04torchred

Established Member
anyone here ever swap the stock bolts out with no additional changes? im thinking of trying to get rid of some front end weight by swapping my K member and A arms out and that would allow me to drop the oil pan. i know upgrading to arp 2000 rod bolts is worth it but havent heard many people do it.

If your motor is fine don't disturb anything.

metaman

Established Member
He is right, leave them alone. I do not think I remember hearing of anyone having problems with the stock bolts on an original motor. Plus if the new bolts have higher holding pressure at the same torque rating it could close up the tolerance a little on an already tight motor.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
When you install new rod bolts you need to have the big end of the rod resized by a machine shop.

Are you sure about this?

OP, dont change the bolts. A supercharged engine actually puts LESS stress on the rod bolts because the added pressure in the cylinder pushes the piston/rod assembly down, rather than a NA engine doing some PULLING of the rod back down.

04torchred

Established Member
Are you sure about this?

OP, dont change the bolts. A supercharged engine actually puts LESS stress on the rod bolts because the added pressure in the cylinder pushes the piston/rod assembly down, rather than a NA engine doing some PULLING of the rod back down.

When you pull a stock rod its going to have areas that are out of round on the big end from trying to stop the piston from flying out the head.

I don't agree with the supercharger puts less stress on the bolts. If you are pushing down harder there is a rod and piston combo going up on another side with more force now and it needs to be stopped when it reaches TDC so it doesn't fly out the top of the bore. All that force is placed on the rod bolts and big end cap to hold that shit together.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
A supercharged engine actually puts LESS stress on the rod bolts because the added pressure in the cylinder pushes the piston/rod assembly down, rather than a NA engine doing some PULLING of the rod back down.

This may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read, no offense

stal94gt

Established Member
i would not think the rod bolts would change enough to really matter unless the bolts i had in there were stretched out.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I bought a set of ARP2000 bolts and never used them. I would still like to install them but dropping the K on just jack stands doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

If you are not bumping the rev limiter up they probably are not going to be needed for most of us. However revving to 7 regularly or over would make them a viable mod.

The big end resizing I believe is not going to be needed for cap screw style rod bolt like ours, but may be required for rods with bolts like these:

sportsmanthru-bolt_l.jpg

Without a doubt if the bolt size is increased.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Jimmy is correct...the 03 04cobra rods take just a bolt. The ones in the pic remind my of rods from my pushroded 351w. Thats what the stock bolts looked like with a bolt and nut at the bottom.people call them foot ball heads cause the top of the bolt is shaped like a football.

Last edited:

my98stang46

Established Member
I would have had them checked for roundness as I know my stock rods on the big end you can feel where its out from the force of the piston being stopped.

Did you at least check them or just rebearing and toss in?

I've rebuilt hundreds of motors so yes I checked them. Most people don't know how to use a micrometer and are just weekend warriors so for them I'd recommend having a machine shop mic everything for them.

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
some forged h-beam rods do need machining to fit the ARP2k bolts, but I'm have never used the the factory manley's, so I can't confirm compatibility on those.

Users who are viewing this thread