Swapping clutch line

Zevox

Established Member
Going to tackle my clutch line today and wanted to see if anyone had any tips for it. Was also curious if I need to pick up some fluid to top off after I'm done or should I not lose that much fluid?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
If you have huge hands have fun lol. Best advise is to take the entire elbow off the trans. It's easier to put the line on it the hook it up vs. trying to hook the like to the elbow. Also would be a great time to completely drain your brake system and upgrade to better fluid. You will lose all the fluid in the tank so at least have enought to fill it back up. Worst part is pumping the clutch for 15mins to get the air out.

Zevox

Established Member
Thanks for the link and advice guys.

If I were to change the fluid to DOT4 do I need to drain the whole system or is it okay to mix the fluids? And do I need to bleed the brakes or anything if I do the fluid swap? Last question, is the elbow on the trans fairly easy to get in and out or will I break it because I have horrible luck?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the link and advice guys.

If I were to change the fluid to DOT4 do I need to drain the whole system or is it okay to mix the fluids? And do I need to bleed the brakes or anything if I do the fluid swap? Last question, is the elbow on the trans fairly easy to get in and out or will I break it because I have horrible luck?

You can top off with DOT 4 without flushing the system. I lost a few tablespoons during the swap. Reservoir had plenty of fluid in it. OCD drove me to top off the reservoir a few weeks afterwards.

If you don't want to bleed the brakes, go ghetto and turkey baster out the fluid in the reservoir, pump the brakes, and repeat a few times. Too much hassle bleeding the brakes for this IMHO.

I was afraid of breaking the elbow with my luck so I just did the bottom clip. That one stays attached thankfully. I had more room with smaller hands and no cats.

mantis118

Established Member
I have big hands. When I did the lower part I taped the braded line to a screw driver with 1 wrap of masking tape and stuck it in that way. Used pliers to reinstall the clip.

Zevox

Established Member
So good news bad news.

Got it in! The only tools I used was my pocket knife to pop the clips out and a pair of normal length 90° needle nose to pull on the hose at the bottom to make sure it was in good.

Bad news... my clutch has a good bit of play up top. I had the parking brake set while I was bleeding it and didn't realize it was. Could that have been my problem and I just need to pop the top and rebleed?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Haha I did like 300 pumps. No joke. I'll pump it up some more when I get back home and see if that works out for me. I still have the spring in too if that makes any sort of difference?

Plan on 3 sessions of bleedings.

87hatchy

Established Member
I'm curious - Is the PROPER way to do this to bleed the brakes, but most people don't? The clutch fluid and brake fluid are shared right?

Just install the line and pump the clutch like mad and that's all you have to do?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm curious - Is the PROPER way to do this to bleed the brakes, but most people don't? The clutch fluid and brake fluid are shared right?

Just install the line and pump the clutch like mad and that's all you have to do?

Yep. Fluid is shared in one reservoir but clutch and brake systems are separate so brakes don't need to be bled.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Pump the brakes in between your clutch pumping sessions. One or two good firm pushes on the brakes after about 30 or 40 clutch pumps has done the trick for me the couple times I've had to bleed the clutch.

scott_0

Established Member
damn I need to get off my ass, order, then install this line

Zevox

Established Member
damn I need to get off my ass, order, then install this line

Yeah just do it man. I was really dreading it but its not bad. Hardest part is getting your hands in there. If I hadn't been being cheap and bought the tools to do it right it might have been easier. Can't tell you if its done anything but a local tuner told a few of my friends the line is good to have just as insurance.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I bought the clutch line on Cyber monday, ive already removed my assist spring. So far its been pretty good but hearing about the stock clutch line failing mad me scared and in hopes to improve the pedal feel im excited to put it in....should have just had service do it when i did my oil change but oh well

Users who are viewing this thread