Swapping auto to T56 Magnum

garylahr

Established Member
When I started my swap I didn't think to document it but thought I would share anyway. Maybe some of the stuff I had to research will help other people.

Let me start by saying I'm not a drag race guy which should explain why I'm going back to a manual trans. I like the road race scene and take my car to the mountains on a regular basis. I have a 2003 10th anv edition I traded a guy for last year. I traded him a Factory Five Racing MK3 I build in 2006 but that is besides the point. The cobra has a 4r70w auto transmission now and I am putting a T56 magnum in it. Before I get too deep into this post I want to say I'm not a mechanic professionally (I'm a computer guy) but I like working on my cars. So anyone else out there that is considering this job its not really that difficult but it is heavy work.

Collecting parts:
I thought I was going to get lucky to find a trans on craigslist but it turned out to be a TR3650 (5 speed), word to the wise, make sure you know what you are looking at before you buy. I wanted a 6speed so I bought a new T56 from American Muscle (AM).
Bellhousing is a stock T56, the quicktime is not required but if you want a scatter shield that is the best option.
Clutch again I went to AM and they hooked me up with a RAM single disc clutch. I initially ordered a 10 spline for the other trans before I found out it was not a T56 and they took it back no questions.
Foot pedals I had from the original setup
Bolts - what a PITA. I spent hours on ford part sites figuring out what bolts I needed. AM had some of them but not all of them and I had to get the ones they didn't have from other sources like Jegs or boltdepot.
clutch cable, fork, throw out bearing and pilot bearing all came from AM.

The swap:
I started with the foot pedals, I thought this would be the hard part because the work is upside down under the dash. I got the auto pedal out pretty easy. The clutch pedals went in with some work, I had to remove the clutch pedal to get the assembly under the dash. The clutch assembly is a little bigger than the auto. Once I got bolts up I rewired everything. Just pay attention to the way things come apart and its easy to put them back together. With all the work done under the dash I'm ready to do the actual trans swap. I'm heading to a friends house this weekend to borrow a lift and trans jack. Lucky for me he is a Ford tech and knows what he is doing.

I'll post again after this weekend. I'll try to remember to take a few pictures.

Thanks to everyone on this site for previous posts that have answered numerous questions I had.

garylahr

Established Member
Forgot to mention that part.

When I got the car the owner told me I could let it rip with OD off because the weakest point in the trans was 3rd to OD. Well I did not pay attention to his advice and I hammered it while in OD. Now the trans will not shift into 3rd. I took it to Injected Engineering and they said it needed a rebuilt because the fluid was burnt. When I pulled the teans cooler the fluid was not black but it did smell burnt. When I get it out of the car I will probably sell it to the highest bidder to cover some of my costs. Not sure what I can get for a broken trans but its got a trans brake in it already and precision industries converter. If not broken its about a $5000 setup from what I can tell. Once I get it out I'll post it for sale.

garylahr

Established Member
Followup:

Got the transmission in and these are the things I learned in the process, maybe this information will help someone else.

1 - The drive shaft to go from a 4r70w to a T56 magnum is 2 inches shorter. The auto is 45.5 center to center and the manual is 43.5 center to center.

2 - The clutch forks are not easy to find unless you know someone that is going to an auto that will sell you one. Jegs was on back order til September. Lucky for me the guy I was selling parts to had one that he sold me.

3 - Its easier to swap the wiring harness from the PCM to the car then it would have been to modify the existing one. On a 2003 cobra the wiring harness from the PCM only runs through the right side of the car and can be swapped in less that 2 hours.

4 - Swapping the PCM back to a cobra PCM tripped my PATS system and would not allow the car to start. I used the Mach I computer I had in the car with the auto and it started right up.

Lastly I'll be heading to the tuner 8/10 to get this baby tuned up and ready to go. I can't tell you how happy I am to have my car running again and so far I love that T56 magnum. This thing is going to be a blast to drive after its tuned.

garylahr

Established Member
So far the shifting is great, this is probably the smoothest transmission I have ever driven. Driving the car has restored my excitement about the car. During this project I was close to loosing faith but I worked through it and I now have a car that is a blast to drive.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
if you have any questions about the swap, let me know. I did a magnum T56 swap for a buddy of mine and I have a few pics.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
IMAG1294_zps1939b309.jpg

IMAG1293_zps6faed5f1.jpg

You'll have to clearance the fork quite a bit!
IMAG1292_zps5fd53b55.jpg

garylahr

Established Member
Thanks for the pics. The only little issue I have is the front bolts on the shifter plate hit the sheet metal under the radio. I've tried bending it with no luck. I'll probably get it back on a lift to see if I can push the sheet metal up.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I had to massage the trans tunnel. I also put a strip of thick foam on the shifter bolts to prevent any metal to metal contact. The sheet metal will bend easily.

Snkbite04

Established Member
Why are ppl going to an aod in the cobras?? Is it a better ride an also i wana swap my rear gears to 4.10s . Does anyone kno what the top end an cruzing changes will be??? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread