swapping 99 irs for 03 irs

v6mustang164

Established Member
I have put Bruce's bushings in a 03 rear and then I put it in my 99. It seems like the driveshaft does not match the pinion flange.:uh oh: What driveshaft do I need to install? I have the stock t45 still.

cmefly

Established Member
There are two ways to do this. You can replace the pinion flange on the 03 rear with your 99. or replace the rear flange on your driveline with a 2003/04 driveline flange that can be bought from ford for about 35.00 and use a conversion u-joint precision #448 from napa or autozone.I would go the driveline route as not to disturb your pinion preload on the crush sleeve.But that being said I have also just changed the pinion flange with out any issues.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Change out the pinion flange. Like the little steel circular peice that is screwd onto the diff. Its where the driveshaft connects too. I did it when I did my swap and have had no problems. Its hard to get back up to the FT/LB spec, but as long as its tight as balls, you'll be fine. Havent had any problems yet. You will need a puller kit to get the flange out correctly. And a big enough socket to get the bolt off of the flange. Make sure you have the diff tilted up so the gear oil doesnt spill out. Also use some of the fluid to lube up the flages

v6mustang164

Established Member
Thanks guys, I thing I will try the driveshaft flange. I already have everything bolted back up then to my surprise the driveshaft doesn't match. Then if I ever go to a t56 and an aluminum driveshaft will bolt right up.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Part Details]

M-4851-B.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread