SVTPerformance Tours The TMI Interiors Factory :: Lots of Pics!!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Welcome to the second in our series of shop tours from the aftermath of SEMA 2012 (it's hard to believe SEMA 2013 is almost here). Our first tour article covered the manufacturing facilities of McLeod Racing Clutches, but this time we're shifting gears (pun intended) and cruising over to the expansive facilities of TMI Interiors. SVTP members should be familiar with retro/modern styling of TMI's supremely high quality American made products. If not, check out the article we ran last week of Kevin Tetz's (of Trucks TV) Project Jaded and its TMI Terminator Interior.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Waylon@TMI (you're likely seen him posting here on the site) and our tour began. Check it out below:

Mystichrome Terminator owners rejoice. TMI reproduces the interior for your car, but get while you can. Once that leather is gone no more will be made.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_001.jpg

When I said TMI's factory is expansive I wasn't kidding, this place is huge.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_002.jpg

You can see some of the CNC pattern cutting machines in this photo.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_003.jpg

While the factory is huge, I was surprised by how well everything is organized and how smoothly the operation runs.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_004.jpg

It's great to be able to get such a quality product hand-made in America.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_005.jpg

Inevitably, in the production process there's going to be a few trimmings left over.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_006.jpg

The staff seemed to really take pride in their work.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_007.jpg

CNC cutting of the materials assures uniformity and a perfect fit.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_008.jpg

Did I mention that the leathers are hand sewn? TMI told us that their factory reproductions are correct down to the number of stitches on the seat skin.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_009.jpg

TMI also makes their own seat foam in-house.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_012.jpg

This beast in the background is the foam production machine.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_013.jpg

The entire machine rotates and each section can have a mold for a different seat foam in it.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_014.jpg

The liquid foam is injected into the mold in one section and by the time it rotates to this point the piece is cured and extracted.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_015.jpg

We were sworn to secrecy, but you'd be surprised where some of this foam ends up.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_016.jpg

After a bit of finishing the foams are sorted ans stacked.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_017.jpg

As this pile of material demonstrates, TMI likes to work on a large scale.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_018.jpg

Look what we found. TMI's Mustang seat skins are officially licensed by Ford.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_019.jpg

This machine has one job, to roll and sew pleats.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_020.jpg

I'd say is does a pretty good job.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_021.jpg

If you want, the material can be put though the machine twice to get this awesome pattern.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_022.jpg

More cutting, during a production shift these machines rarely stop.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_023.jpg

Looks like a place we should definitely visit.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_024.jpg

So this is what they've been "assembling".

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_025.jpg

Word is that this Mustang will be making its rounds on the show circuit.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_026.jpg

This is the type of quality you can expect from TMI, impeccable.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_027.jpg

This looks like a great place to take a road trip.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_028.jpg

You may not be aware, but TMI produces door panels as well.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_029.jpg

This is a prototype for a product you'll be seeing soon, a replacement Mustang headliner.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_030.jpg

More production rolling off the line.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_031.jpg

TMI can make anything from an exact reproduction to a full on custom interior. You can obviously choose the color of stitching you'd like.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_032.jpg

You have to have something to design from. TMI keeps a lot of old seats and frames laying around to base their designs upon.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_033.jpg

We noticed this written on a white-board in a conference room. We believe it sums up the culture you'll find at TMI, along with the level of pride and craftsmanship that's built into its products.

TMI_2012_Shop_Tour_034.jpg

Special Thanks To:

TMI Interiors

Photos by StacyStangz

-SID297:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We have a few more articles like this will be running in the next few weeks. Let me know if you guys like this kind of thing and we'll work on expanding it in the future.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
When I visited, I was astonished by their facility and organization!
& Actually this past weekend I hung out with Waylon at TMI at the American Muscle Show in PA - He brought their most popular seats with him that you could sit in and try out... Lets just say, sitting in the TMI Termi Seats, I did not want to move! If I could of stayed there all day I would have. Their seats are second to none!!!!

TMIProducts

Established Member
When I visited, I was astonished by their facility and organization!
& Actually this past weekend I hung out with Waylon at TMI at the American Muscle Show in PA - He brought their most popular seats with him that you could sit in and try out... Lets just say, sitting in the TMI Termi Seats, I did not want to move! If I could of stayed there all day I would have. Their seats are second to none!!!!

Stacy You totally COULD HAVE stayed there all day - I told you it was an option! lol.

Sid - it was great to have you guys out to our facility to see our operation. We pride ourselves in being 100% made in the USA and it's great to be able to show that up close and personal in your article above. The number of companies still producing in the US seems to drop every year. But we've been doing just that for 31 years and counting - and I believe it directly shows in the quality of our products!

I also want to extend the welcome mat to anyone on SVTP - if you're in the area and would like to see the operation let me know. I can't offer you the nickel floor tour - but would be more than happy to show you the 'kingdom' from the mezzanine. :beer:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Great article Travis! Yes, we like this kind of info. It is good to see the people that make the products as well as the facilities they are produced at.

Stacy -the only thing better than TMI seats is TMI seats with you sitting in them! LOL! It was good to see you at the SCT tent at AM show Sunday.

TMIProducts

Established Member
Thanks for the article SVTP.com. I'm glad to see products like these actually being produced on US soil rather than farmed out!! Praise TMI!! :beer:

THis is such a sigh of relief knowing that I can buy a car and restore the interior if necessary. Thank you TMI.

Let me Thank You both for still valuing a Made in the USA part - so many people have seemingly, guiltlessly, switched to buying over seas parts at cheaper prices without thinking of the repercussions. TMI has been making all of their interiors here in California for over 30 years - all the while battling competitors on all sides who had gone across borders or over seas. We're happy to provide American Made parts for your American Muscle car!

So cheers! (it's 8am, they need a GIF of two smiley's cheersing with coffee cups :) )

corruptor

Established Member
That quilted leather pattern is so sick.

really wish someone would make replacement door panels for the 2011+ cars to get rid of (or cover up) that hard plastic crap.

Users who are viewing this thread